Thread Tools
Mar 29, 2020, 04:07 PM
2020 EDF Jet Jam
Robert Belluomini's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke it wAstick
I just ordered one of these. Hoping it will be my go-to EDF.

I'll be using 4400 mah Glaciers. I've used Glaciers in all my edfs.


Any tips on a new FlexJet?
Reading thru this thread: check glue on the gear. Anything else?
Perfect size pack, like any ARF go over everything to ensure the factory did not miss anything.
Flex jet has the best landing gear of any jet out there!
Remember to flick the gear switch up then down before each flight to set the sequencer.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 01, 2020, 08:38 AM
Registered User
What are the dimensions of the battery compartment?

I've done some searches on here but can't seem to locate anything.
Apr 01, 2020, 09:56 AM
2020 EDF Jet Jam
Robert Belluomini's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_beyer
What are the dimensions of the battery compartment?

I've done some searches on here but can't seem to locate anything.
It’s Generous in size, I'm happy to post a pic later.
I have used as big as a 5200 without issue making CG.
Last edited by Robert Belluomini; Apr 01, 2020 at 10:38 AM.
Apr 01, 2020, 07:06 PM
Nasir Khan

Wanted: Flexjet parts


Gday gents,
I wanted to reach out and see if anyones got parts from a wrecked Flexjet. I recently got my hands on a second hand Flexjet, Ok condition but missing a few bits. Here is what i need:
  • gear door set (front and mains)
  • gear mounts (front and mains)
  • left and right tail booms (see picture)
  • elevator shaft set
  • set of sidewinders

Let me know. Stay safe.
Thanks
Nas
Apr 06, 2020, 06:56 PM
Warm Sunny days please
dlewton's Avatar
Finally,

Well I was finally able to get 2 flights in tonight. The Maiden went well. The weather was overcast and wind was about 8-10mph. Takeoff was nice and uneventful with the extra power it still took 300' of my grass runway. I can't imagine trying to take off of grass with the stock setup. Let me say I groom my runways super short and I roll them so they are usually very easy to take off of. I used a Thunderpower Rampage 5000mah 80c pack and the CG was spot on. I needed a bit of trim but other than that I just flew the pattern to get used to it. It did land faster than expected but did not have any bad tendencies. Checked everything over and took it up for a second GPS test flight. I was able to get 125mph which is ok and it may get better as the battery pack breaks in a bit. I had no stabilization on mine as I plugged everything directly into my Jeti R9 receiver. I would say stabilization is not needed at all for this plane as it handled the wind just fine. All in all this should be an enjoyable plane. With this setup 3 minutes is about it on a 5000 pack so it is a "juice sucker". As of right now I would not change anything about my setup as it just feels really locked in. I ran out of daylight or I would probably have flown it a couple more times.
Apr 06, 2020, 07:54 PM
Registered User
dlewton- i hear ya on the power. i am running stock and it seems like a crap shoot flying off my grass field which isn't necessarily cut the shortest. most of the times, she'll get off, but not always. when she doesn't, i just hand launch her and she does surprisingly well as a hand launcher despite her big size. she gets on step quite quickly outta the hand.
-beanie
Apr 06, 2020, 08:38 PM
Warm Sunny days please
dlewton's Avatar

Hand Launch


Quote:
Originally Posted by beanie
dlewton- i hear ya on the power. i am running stock and it seems like a crap shoot flying off my grass field which isn't necessarily cut the shortest. most of the times, she'll get off, but not always. when she doesn't, i just hand launch her and she does surprisingly well as a hand launcher despite her big size. she gets on step quite quickly outta the hand.
-beanie
Wow who would have thought that a jet that size could be hand launched. I don't think my nerves would handle trying that
Last edited by dlewton; Apr 06, 2020 at 08:55 PM.
Apr 06, 2020, 10:25 PM
Registered User
i wasn’t sure it was gonna work and was nervous given the price of this plane. for me, it was the most expensive plane i owned at the time. i was so frustrated that she wouldn’t ROG. i thought to myself: “didn’t spend all this money for a static model!" and i had sat on it for months after completing her. so i took a big deep breath, faced the wind, throttled up and gave a slight upward javelin throw. the efflux from the motor was powerful enough to blow my hat off my head, but she really got up on step quickly. i’m sure aura helped as well. i have since shifted the batt back a little and that has helped, but now i only bring her to the field after the grass has been mowed, or i mentally prep for another hand launch.
-beanie
Last edited by beanie; Apr 07, 2020 at 07:22 PM.
Apr 07, 2020, 03:32 PM
2020 EDF Jet Jam
Robert Belluomini's Avatar
Thread OP
Good job Beanie!
Apr 08, 2020, 08:40 AM
2020 EDF Jet Jam
Robert Belluomini's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlewton
Finally,

Well I was finally able to get 2 flights in tonight. The Maiden went well. The weather was overcast and wind was about 8-10mph. Takeoff was nice and uneventful with the extra power it still took 300' of my grass runway. I can't imagine trying to take off of grass with the stock setup. Let me say I groom my runways super short and I roll them so they are usually very easy to take off of. I used a Thunderpower Rampage 5000mah 80c pack and the CG was spot on. I needed a bit of trim but other than that I just flew the pattern to get used to it. It did land faster than expected but did not have any bad tendencies. Checked everything over and took it up for a second GPS test flight. I was able to get 125mph which is ok and it may get better as the battery pack breaks in a bit. I had no stabilization on mine as I plugged everything directly into my Jeti R9 receiver. I would say stabilization is not needed at all for this plane as it handled the wind just fine. All in all this should be an enjoyable plane. With this setup 3 minutes is about it on a 5000 pack so it is a "juice sucker". As of right now I would not change anything about my setup as it just feels really locked in. I ran out of daylight or I would probably have flown it a couple more times.
I run an aft cg and the model handles it great, that may make rotation easier on your grass runway. What sort of current are you pulling on your power setup?
I'm at 90 amps at full power but I'm never there for long, I'm running 4000 cells and I get great flight times.
Apr 08, 2020, 10:32 AM
Warm Sunny days please
dlewton's Avatar
According to the logging I am pulling 135amps max with the 5000 pack. I am glad it is a Castle ESC since I am only running an Edge 130. It really flies nice the way it is and my runway is plenty long so I may just leave the CG where it is for now. I have almost 700' of runway so I am not concerned about the take off run. I think I am going to like it. May try and get a few more flights in tonight before the storms.
Apr 08, 2020, 01:51 PM
Registered User
foundryratjim's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlewton
According to the logging I am pulling 135amps max with the 5000 pack. I am glad it is a Castle ESC since I am only running an Edge 130. It really flies nice the way it is and my runway is plenty long so I may just leave the CG where it is for now. I have almost 700' of runway so I am not concerned about the take off run. I think I am going to like it. May try and get a few more flights in tonight before the storms.
I think the more you fly it the shorter your take off runs will get.
Apr 08, 2020, 02:43 PM
2020 EDF Jet Jam
Robert Belluomini's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlewton
According to the logging I am pulling 135amps max with the 5000 pack. I am glad it is a Castle ESC since I am only running an Edge 130. It really flies nice the way it is and my runway is plenty long so I may just leave the CG where it is for now. I have almost 700' of runway so I am not concerned about the take off run. I think I am going to like it. May try and get a few more flights in tonight before the storms.
WOW that's high! Which motor and controller?
Apr 09, 2020, 08:33 AM
Warm Sunny days please
dlewton's Avatar

Flex


Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini
WOW that's high! Which motor and controller?
I am using the Stumax fan with a Het 2100kv motor and A Castle Edge 130 ESC.

I did manage another flight last night. I am thankful that you kept encouraging me to "just try it". I like how it flies but I have found a really really nasty tendency in it that I am not sure if anyone else has experienced. For normal flight it is fine but when you go full throttle with my setup it rolls to the left and it takes full right aileron in order to just keep it level. I have double checked all of the control surfaces and they are straight and true. If I throttle back to 3/4 I get control back so I know it has something to do with the top end speed I have just not tracked it down yet. Now that I know it I can make a screaming pass down the center of the runway and at least hold it level. I am obviously still getting the feel for it.

Thanks again Robert for all of your input and encouragement. I appreciate people like you who take the time to help that is what makes this hobby so great.

THANK YOU!!!
Apr 09, 2020, 09:27 AM
2020 EDF Jet Jam
Robert Belluomini's Avatar
Thread OP
So here's the deal! Some of the models have an incidence issue between the two wings. To get rid of the rolling issue at different flight speeds you have to trim your stabs and leave the Ailerons neutral. I have the top edge of the right stab 1/4" above the fuselage fairing and the Left stab top edge 1/8" below the bottom of the fuselage fairing. I adjusted with the push rods, and fine tuned with sub trim in Aura. You can just do the sub trim in your Tx.

Doing it this way the model flies straight and level at ALL speeds, try it and let me know how that works.

ps hopefully you did not have any damage due to the storm that went through our are last night!


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Potenza Aura 8 AFCS - Flex Innovations - Official Thread dribbe Radios 3852 May 21, 2020 02:01 PM
Discussion JETI and Flex Innovations Aura 8 AFCS compatibility? MarkDill Jeti USA 236 Feb 18, 2020 05:10 AM
Article Flex Innovations Cessna 170 High Wind Flight at SEFF Jason Cole Scale ARF/RTF 3 Aug 28, 2017 10:25 PM
News The Mamba Has Arrived - Flex Innovations! Jim T. Graham 3D Flying 9 Nov 03, 2016 03:18 PM
Article Flex Innovations - A New Warehouse and Website! Jim T. Graham Electric Plane Talk 15 Feb 27, 2016 09:38 AM