Mar 16, 2019, 05:21 PM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Yep, I carted a wing panel from my 120mm twin A-10 into Home Depot to get it color matched.
The guy didn't even look surprised, and like you say, you can hardly tell where its touched up.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 16, 2019, 06:38 PM
Retired US Navy
120mm, that ultra UMX...
Mar 17, 2019, 03:20 PM
Fly it like you're in it
You'd be surprised how tough EPO is.
On my Dynam's Fly Fly's FMS' and even my one Freewing, the foam is nearly impervious to any chemical (that is what is was formulated to be) even to the point of being difficult when trying to get stuff to stick to it!
If you're worried, try any paint on a piece of scrap EPO (if you can find some from the plane)
Mar 17, 2019, 05:47 PM
All great info,
AND that is a helluva nice stearman
Mar 17, 2019, 05:57 PM
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmac1
All great info,
AND that is a helluva nice stearman
Glad to know you like the "17". Best option is to take a piece from your F-4 (canopy, vertical stab, etc) to HD or Lowes and ask them to color match. Either store will do you right and you will really like the results. Don't worry if the colors don't match while the paint is wet. Once it dries, it will. Keep us posted on your F-4.
Mar 18, 2019, 05:08 PM

Valspar

I painted the vertical stab off of the airplane. I will mask and paint those goofy tabs with the screws tomorrow
I must say the first coat looked like crap, but two more and it’s flat and streak free.
Thanks for the heads up on the paint
That’s called black pepper
The light, of course is still masked in the pic
Last edited by patmac1; Mar 18, 2019 at 05:47 PM.
Mar 19, 2019, 08:14 PM
Innocent Bystander
Another Broken NoseGear Pin today. Waaaaaay UnCool !!
Started in on my LongNosed F-4E (Conversion Kit from RCGeek // Modified it a bit// Fitment is Sweeeeeet) on the No. 2 FW F-4, got it pretty much fitted.

I am not looking forward to the Next Pin-Break on the new nose !! Gotta get this situation under control before that one Rolls-Out. Bummed about this.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2983
Mar 19, 2019, 09:16 PM
I sheared one also, came in a little to fast and hit a bump going off the end of the runway. Fortunately no damage other than the pin. Going to do a little heat treating to the new one that's coming, rather have it bend than shear.
Mar 19, 2019, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobaroo
Another Broken NoseGear Pin today. Waaaaaay UnCool !!
Started in on my LongNosed F-4E (Conversion Kit from RCGeek // Modified it a bit// Fitment is Sweeeeeet) on the No. 2 FW F-4, got it pretty much fitted.

I am not looking forward to the Next Pin-Break on the new nose !! Gotta get this situation under control before that one Rolls-Out. Bummed about this.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2983
Bob....Have you looked into trying concrete nails??? Bend or snap one of these and your a better man than me...lol

They come in all different sizes....
Mar 19, 2019, 11:24 PM
Too stiff.... brittle...
You can get/use 5mm (any mm) stainless steel rod. Cheap per metre etc.
Cut and make up what you need.

Plus, forget the 'flange' types and add a groove to hold it in (via side grub screw), so then they can be removed without removing the retract. To straighten when they bend instead of break....
Mar 20, 2019, 06:20 AM
Retired US Navy
Bob, was the second one another F-4 pin or a F-14 one? No issue on mine after using the F-14 one.

This is the nose gear pin so has to be the flange or a e clip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC
Plus, forget the 'flange' types and add a groove to hold it in (via side grub screw), so then they can be removed without removing the retract. To straighten when they bend instead of break....
Mar 20, 2019, 08:59 AM
Innocent Bystander
Sadly, it was the F-14 Pin. Maybe x30 Flights on this pin. I really thought this problem was behind me. Haven't really been giving it any thought. I may have to try the Nails !!

Can you imagine getting your New E-Model NoseJob Ground Off !! These 3DP NoseCones most likely will not survive a PinFailure either without some reinforcement (Carbon Tow) maybe , or some Expanding Foam !!

No problems with the BlueBox on this Jet !! That's a Plus ! Hahahaha
Mar 20, 2019, 10:47 AM
Good looking Cook+Maid needed
Quote:
Too stiff.... brittle...

Size : 100 x 5mm / 3.9" x 0.2"(L*D); x 5 for $9.49

https://www.amazon.com/Bluesky-Stain...sr=1-2-catcorr
Mar 20, 2019, 11:13 AM
Innocent Bystander
Thanks Guyz, I'll get some SSRod ordered and have the Shop cut them up to size and Groove them for C-Clips. Maybe do the MainGear Pins as well while I'm at it even though they are holding up well considering I've Pinned the T-Link on there to save the GearDoors. Cheers !!
Mar 20, 2019, 04:46 PM
Fly it like you're in it
Quote:
Too stiff.... brittle...
Over 30 years in masonry, and I've never seen one break. Bend, yes, but not break.( maybe the ones we use are different than yours?)
That being said , I'd still go with the stainless rod

Quick Reply