Radio for small hands - RC Groups
Feb 08, 2018, 05:21 PM
Help!

Radio for small hands

I've used JR DSX7 for years and sometimes I feel the size of the radio is limiting my skill level. I have extra small hands like 6' I cannot really reach the max and min without moving my hand I wonder which radio fits better. I heard Futaba is smaller but I do not have any LHS or friends using Futaba. Is it really small? Or any other recommendations. Thanks for any inputs
to remove ads between posts
Feb 08, 2018, 05:51 PM
Doberman fan
if it helps. here in the states I wear a cadet golf glove. out of the following transmitters: sd10g, xg8/xg14/ mz24 and ix12. the xg series felt smaller in my hands followed by the mz24 then the ix and sd10g

I also don't feel like I have to move my hands much to flip the switches all over the radio with the xg. but as always YMMV
Feb 08, 2018, 06:19 PM
I have small hands and I found using a strap to be crucial so that I don't have to hold the radio in my hands. I just support the radio on the sides with my little fingers and I fly with my thumbs. I do have to reach to get the far away switches. I fly old JR radios and a new Taranis X9D which is exactly the same size as the JR 9303.
Feb 08, 2018, 07:49 PM
I second the neckstrap!
As far as an LHS, have you checked out AMR in Longueuil? They are a Futaba dealer I believe.
Pretty sad, when your nearest RC LHS requires you having a passport, or enhanced drivers licence to go there
In fact, next Thursday, four of us from our club are going up there to shop and for lunch.
Pete
Feb 08, 2018, 08:37 PM
No bounce, No play.
I wear the cadet glove too. I use the strap and made a sort of tray. A cradle the radio slides in to with elastic waist strap to keep radio steady. It's like the stability of a tray. You can choose thumb or grasp.
Feb 08, 2018, 09:29 PM
Hitec 9x, you can screw the sticks down lower than most transmitters. Try to find someone that has one and check it out.
Feb 08, 2018, 10:12 PM
I don't get the glove part, how can I reach further by wearing gloves?
I tried neck strap before and it does help, the problem is I accidentally messed up switches with the strap several times and caused a crash -rescue get triggered. So I'm kind of afraid of using it afterwards.
Feb 08, 2018, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2
I second the neckstrap!
As far as an LHS, have you checked out AMR in Longueuil? They are a Futaba dealer I believe.
Pretty sad, when your nearest RC LHS requires you having a passport, or enhanced drivers licence to go there
In fact, next Thursday, four of us from our club are going up there to shop and for lunch.
Pete
I just checked their website, it seems they have it, I will check there. Thanks a lot!
Feb 08, 2018, 10:50 PM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing450
We were making a point about short stubby hands and solutions. That's what a cadet glove is fit for.
Feb 09, 2018, 04:20 AM
You want a small radio the Graupner MZ -12 is very small compaired to any other traditional radio. Excellent for small hands. I have held all of the ones mentioned along with many others. It is SMALL
Feb 09, 2018, 10:18 AM
treefinder
I picked up a flysky FSi6 radio from banggood.com when they had it on sale for $30 with a 6 ch afhds v2a receiver. I was really surprised at how small it is; about 3/4 the size of my 9xrPro. I should note that I have a lot of flysky AFHDS v2 protocol receivers having started with a TGY9x and graduated to the 9xrPro. So, I'm sort of "invested" in the protocol. The i6 is compatible with both the older v2 and the newer v2a (with integral telemetry). It took a bit for me to get used to the small size (i extended the sticks to their max length vs your shortening yours) but it feels good in my hands and has been a good full range LOS radio . There is also a thread here on rcg where a guy has written new firmware to make it 14 channels, added timer, and enhanced telemetry. Flysky makes an altimeter module for $8. I updated the firmware, plugged in the module and now have altitude on screen! All on what is now a $42 radio from banggood.
Feb 09, 2018, 11:13 AM
Doberman fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing450
I tried neck strap before and it does help, the problem is I accidentally messed up switches with the strap several times and caused a crash -rescue get triggered. So I'm kind of afraid of using it afterwards.
is the transmitter off balance when hanging from the strap that caused the switches to flip?
how about a transmitter balancer adapter to change the balance and pivot point?

https://www.google.com/search?q=rc+t...w=1177&bih=388
Feb 09, 2018, 11:20 AM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliamille
is the transmitter off balance ...
And that's why I use the elastic waist strap. Balance the strap first, then stabilize the radio.
Feb 09, 2018, 02:14 PM
treefinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliamille
is the transmitter off balance when hanging from the strap that caused the switches to flip?
how about a transmitter balancer adapter to change the balance and pivot point?

https://www.google.com/search?q=rc+t...w=1177&bih=388
I tried a neck strap for a while, and had a similar experience except the situation was with my old 72mhz Skysport 4 (non computer, no switches) I bent over to pick up an electric foamie plane and bumped the throttle. Spun prop up right into my thumb. Nice deep cut. Now I just carry the tx with thumb on throttle so it can't be bumped . . . and am a lot more careful how I pick planes up!
Feb 09, 2018, 02:24 PM
Doberman fan
ouch. I didn't start flying during those transmitter days so I never got to experience that.
closest I got was a spool up of a 500 heli but I felt the blade on its first pass before it got speed. I learned about throttle cut switches at that moment

Quick Reply