Solarfilm - Closing Announcement - Page 3 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Feb 09, 2018, 07:15 PM
Faster is Better
Slopemaster's Avatar
Ultrakote is just film, it doesn't have fabric like Solartex.
Latest blog entry: LEG Fat Albert Take 2
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2018, 07:43 PM
All work and no play
legliderman's Avatar
http://www.betteraircraftfabric.com/
Feb 09, 2018, 08:52 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by droydx
Bummer, ordered up a 10 yard roll of silver to stock up for a while....maybe someone will pick up the solartex line, but not too many people are building any more.....

Andy
what do the arf companies in china use?
Feb 09, 2018, 11:47 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Let's hear about other covering techniques or substitutes.
I'm going to try some of the fabric I listed in post #16.
Feb 10, 2018, 01:18 AM
Faster is Better
Slopemaster's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by legliderman
Interesting,

I'd like to hear from somebody who's used this product on a EPP model.
Latest blog entry: LEG Fat Albert Take 2
Feb 10, 2018, 02:19 AM
supreme being of leisure
ZAGNUT's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by legliderman
that's their full-scale fabric without adhesive on the back.

the oratex for models is more like solarfilm's "glosstex" in that it has a sealing/paint coat over the fabric....regular solartex had no sealing coat and would get dirty if not sealed. pretty sure it was just dyed fabric with an adhesive backing that was good enough to keep fuel from penetrating.

often wondered if the fabric used for these coverings is the same 1.9oz./65g dacron/polyester commonly sold as ceconite or stitts? that stuff is cheap and there are lots of heat activated adhesives that can be used. color might be a problem as dying polyester isn't so easy.

koverall from sig is lighter but has a really open weave that needs filled before it can be called "covering"...
Feb 10, 2018, 02:31 AM
supreme being of leisure
ZAGNUT's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonquinn
what do the arf companies in china use?
horizon's arfs use ultracote, same as oracover. have seen other arfs advertise the same so oracover is moving lots of material. then there is their full scale fabrics that are starting to become popular. they also supply huge amounts of material to the graphics industry. i'm betting they'll be around for a while.
Feb 10, 2018, 08:26 AM
Non Fragosus
jackcutrone's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDOG1
Has anyone tried the 21st Century Fabric ?
lhttps://coverite.hobbico.com/covering/covq0301.html
Hobbico filed for bankruptcy
Feb 10, 2018, 08:39 AM
supreme being of leisure
ZAGNUT's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcutrone
Hobbico filed for bankruptcy
wonder if that had anything to do with solarfilm shutting down? having what must have been your biggest customer (coverite is all solarfilm) go nipples up is not easy.
Feb 10, 2018, 09:18 AM
F3B
satinet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAGNUT
wonder if that had anything to do with solarfilm shutting down? having what must have been your biggest customer (coverite is all solarfilm) go nipples up is not easy.
Or the other way round
Feb 10, 2018, 12:50 PM
Registered User
Quote:
often wondered if the fabric used for these coverings is the same 1.9oz./65g dacron/polyester commonly sold as ceconite or stitts? that stuff is cheap and there are lots of heat activated adhesives that can be used.
I too have wondered that and I'm going to try some with a few different adhesives. If the Poly-Tak and Poly-Brush products are compatible with EPP, it should be easy. If not, then I'll still try the Poly-Tak applied to specific areas of the fabric as a heat activated adhesive. Aliphatic wood glue will also work as a heat activated adhesive. I'm also curious if the spray adhesives or the Polyurethane / Polycrylic products would work with these fabrics.
Feb 10, 2018, 05:11 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
KingOfTheHill's Avatar
Never heard of the stuff but thats a nicely covered fuse Daemon.

Ive just always used Hanger 9 Ultracote
Feb 11, 2018, 12:22 PM
supreme being of leisure
ZAGNUT's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT56
I too have wondered that and I'm going to try some with a few different adhesives. If the Poly-Tak and Poly-Brush products are compatible with EPP, it should be easy. If not, then I'll still try the Poly-Tak applied to specific areas of the fabric as a heat activated adhesive. Aliphatic wood glue will also work as a heat activated adhesive. I'm also curious if the spray adhesives or the Polyurethane / Polycrylic products would work with these fabrics.
you might find some useful info here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...lue-substitute but then EPP isn't balsa so some testing would be needed.
Feb 12, 2018, 06:08 PM
Faster is Better
Slopemaster's Avatar

Last orange roll


Received my last roll of orange Solartex.

Guess I'll have to save it for those special projects.
Latest blog entry: LEG Fat Albert Take 2
Feb 12, 2018, 06:38 PM
Registered User
Thanks ZAGNUT!


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Comey drafted announcement closing Hillary Clinton probe before .. Dave Barrow Life, The Universe, and Politics 1 Sep 01, 2017 10:46 AM
Discussion Hobby Lobby Just Announced Plan To Close ALL Stores rimshotcopter Life, The Universe, and Politics 22 Aug 23, 2016 09:19 PM
Contest FF to RC Kitbash - Competition closed, winners announced Sopwith Mike Balsa Builders 166 Jun 25, 2013 11:41 AM
Discussion Jack Stafford Models Announces Closing Steve_O Product Announcements 0 Dec 28, 2006 02:03 PM
Discussion Jack Stafford Models Announces Closing Steve_O Vendor Talk 0 Dec 28, 2006 02:02 PM