Solarfilm - Closing Announcement - Page 2 - RC Groups
Feb 07, 2018, 08:34 PM
Some large models are covered with light weight fabric used on full scale airplanes. Dacron 1.9 oz, Ceconite 1.87 oz or Sig Koverall 1.25 oz fabric with an adhesive compatible with EPP might be worth investigating.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/...c/peelply3.php

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/...itefabric2.php

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...001.html?E+Sig
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2018, 09:17 PM

solartex

ok solartex is the best I tried so far if you are looking the ww1/2 fabric look ,compare to century 21 its way way superior ,its thinner the color won't change when u heat it up ,will not come loose etc ,compare to fabric coverings you don't have to use dope ,fabric glue thinners etc ,and then the paint ,also its little in weight ,
The problem I see is that a few places sells them and they charge a lot for it ,,for example on the plane in the picture I spend $100 just in the covering (solartex ) ,its ok if you put in perspective that the kit was a $400 ,but if you have a $150 plane and you spend that much in covering for me does not make sense ,
I don't think that the problem is that is not enough builders I don't believe that ,in fact check how many kits are been sold here in rc groups unless its the same guy buying it ,or somebody stocking them up ,I think the problem is the cost of it .anyway sucks that it's goin out of bussisnes .
Last edited by amilcar; Feb 07, 2018 at 09:23 PM.
Feb 08, 2018, 12:53 AM
Aerotow and sloping Holland
This is sad news. Solartex is the best covering material I know. There are just not enough builders left.

Maarten
Feb 08, 2018, 01:51 AM
It's not just fewer builders, it's that all those built up artf models are covered in alternatives, often from far east,
Feb 08, 2018, 06:21 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
On the solartex question - don't they still make Oratex? I just checked, yes still available in the UK.

As for painting - just about any iron-on will take paint, as long as the surface is keyed with either Prymol (oops, a Solarfilm product) or roughed up then plastic-primed.
Feb 08, 2018, 10:43 AM
Piscine Promulgator
Solartex is great for slopers and large, vintage-style scale planes (like BUSA's WWI planes, for example) but for many other applications (like electric parkflyers) there are other coverings that are much lighter. So I think that even for those who do still build, the number of applications where Solartex is the go-to solution was just too small.

Let's also not forget the wholesale pivot to drones - they've redefined the RC flying hobby and don't generally require coverings of any type, though they often do require a fair amount of building.

It's a bummer to see this happen, though. Many of my favorite slope gliders have been covered in Solartex, including my first glider (Oly 650) and the original Le Fish prototype.

P.S. - Amilcar, that's a beautiful Nieuport. Thanks for sharing!
Last edited by surfimp; Feb 08, 2018 at 10:49 AM.
Feb 08, 2018, 11:10 AM
Faster is Better
It's possible that this might have a negative impact on the EPP PSS market.

Personally, I would be less interested in building a nice PSS glider if I couldn't cover it with Solartex.
Latest blog entry: LEG Fat Albert Take 2
Feb 08, 2018, 11:42 AM
All work and no play
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopemaster
It's possible that this might have a negative impact on the EPP PSS market.

Personally, I would be less interested in building a nice PSS glider if I couldn't cover it with Solartex.
I'd doubt it has a big impact. Solartex is great but its not used as much as you'd think.
Feb 09, 2018, 03:30 AM

Solarfilm - Closing Announcement

As Andy mentioned, Oratex is and will remain available. It is similar to Solartex. The silver Oratex is imho even superior to silver Solartex.

I have used Oratex on EPP PSS and it works very well.

Oratex is a viable alternative to Solartex.

Maarten
Feb 09, 2018, 09:26 AM
Dunetop Flyer
Oratex as an alternative is good news. Let's hear about other covering techniques or substitutes. What is being used - Jack?
Feb 09, 2018, 10:35 AM
Faster is Better
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaartenX
As Andy mentioned, Oratex is and will remain available. It is similar to Solartex. The silver Oratex is imho even superior to silver Solartex.

I have used Oratex on EPP PSS and it works very well.

Oratex is a viable alternative to Solartex.

Maarten
Sounds great, who sells Oratex?

Thanks
Latest blog entry: LEG Fat Albert Take 2
Feb 09, 2018, 12:40 PM
supreme being of leisure
Quote:

Thanks
oracover and most likely sold as an ultracote product in the states....so a scan of the horizon site might turn it up.

oracover also makes a sealed/painted heat shrink fabric for full-scale aircraft but it doesn't come with iron on glue.
Feb 09, 2018, 02:54 PM
Quote:

Thanks

https://www.oracover.de/fabric/1?Colour+Series=Oratex
Feb 09, 2018, 03:22 PM
cfg
cfg
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokengranite
If anyone is looking, I have some left over silver solartex. Ill check to see how much I have left.
I need some!
Feb 09, 2018, 03:37 PM
When the wind blows
Yes Oratex from Germany is very much available . Great product which I have used for many years , Expensive yes , but comes with quality .
Oracover is sold and rebranded around the world. . England I think Profilm ? H9 , Ultracote ?

Quick Reply