May 16, 2019, 10:21 AM
Build, crash...repeat
Thread OP
OK guys, I finally got up the nerve to fly this baby. I put a lot of work into it and Iíve been afraid of wrecking it like Iíve wrecked so many before..... but then I remembered a line from a Risky Business: ďSometimes you just gotta say WTFĒ

The CG seemed right with a 1000 mAh Lipo in the battery compartment. Good thing because nothing larger will fit. The full elevator mechanism works perfectly. I didnít record video of the first couple of tests due to my iPhone not remembering to turn itself on (thinking of switching to Android ). I landed hard on the first toss-n-crash and knocked one landing gear off. Hot glue and screws employed for repair. On the next test something didnít seem right. She was hard to control. I was able to land without damage and lo and behold the right aileron didnít work. Turned out the servo wire got disconnected from the extension wire. Fixed that and let her loose again. I had trouble with my internal rubber band wing securing mechanism so Iíll have to rethink that.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the show. Sorry about the footage. I had my headcam angled poorly so the plane was either out of the picture or low on the right corner.

Piper Cherokee Maiden 1 (0 min 51 sec)

Piper Cherokee maiden2 (2 min 19 sec)
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2019, 10:24 AM
Build, crash...repeat
Thread OP
Oh yeah, almost forgot. On the last flight I flew it inverted, but too close to ground. When I tried to loop out; guess what happened? Right. Not enough air. Bit the dust pretty hard. But some glue and a strong arm and itíll be back soon.
May 17, 2019, 10:44 AM
treefinder
Looks good in air. Don't know how many times I did that loop out of inverted too low! Still training myself to roll out ("roll out, roll out,...... ")
May 19, 2019, 02:51 PM
Retired CAD guy
Um I call those figure 9's !

But the humor doesn't remove the pain !$^{
May 19, 2019, 07:32 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Thread OP
It's OK, no serious damage. Patched up the nose a bit, glued the wing root extensions back on, re-jiggered the internal wing retention system with a zip tie instead of rubber bands, new prop, and it was good to go.

I flew again today, at a school field. Took off and landed on pavement. It actually took off great, short runway into the blowing wind. The wind was pretty strong and I had to fight it the whole time. No aerobatic tricks this time. Landed easily on the pavement, no crash, no damage today!

I have to say I like the looks in the air. And now it really handled well. It flew itself once I trimmed the full-flying elevator a bit, and landing was nice as long as I left my thumbs off the sticks...

Quick Reply