to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2018, 06:43 AM
Build, crash...repeat
Thread OP

Video

Here's the video.
Piper Cherokee stabilator (0 min 19 sec)
Feb 17, 2018, 09:18 AM
Jer. 29:11
Fantastic!
Feb 18, 2018, 02:07 PM
Retired CAD guy
Much simpler than mine but works just fine.

Looking forward to flight results !

Good Luck ! ;>}
Feb 18, 2018, 08:18 PM
Ken's CAD Models
If you need to tone down the response, but want to maintain high resolution, use a short control horn on the servo end and limit slop in the controls.

Ken
Feb 19, 2018, 05:47 AM
Build, crash...repeat
Thread OP
That's what's I was thinking. Also, like I think birdofplay said earlier, lots of expo on the Tx. I'm thinking 70% or so.
Feb 19, 2018, 08:49 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleRRon
That's what's I was thinking. Also, like I think birdofplay said earlier, lots of expo on the Tx. I'm thinking 70% or so.
I had full flying tailerons on my F-16 pusher jet, and that never seemed twitchy at all.

Ken
Feb 27, 2018, 10:48 PM
Retired CAD guy
Wow, you are sparing NO DETAILS !

Nice work ;>}
Mar 05, 2018, 05:01 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Thread OP

Wings

The plane has triangular parts forward of the wing root that I wanted to incorporate. I used the Lowes green extruded foam 1" thick. I traced the triangle outline on one face from the plan and the wing LE outline from the plan on one side. I had to lay out some cutlines so I could saw this thing on my bandsaw using the "cut, save the pieces, re-assemble and cut again" technique I used for the canopy, but this was more complicated. it was all angles and compound angles. Maybe a hot wire cutter would have been easier, I don't know.
Anyway, once I had them shaped, I just glued them on the LE. I used some lightweight spackle and sanded it to smooth the transitions. I added a bit of foam to the forward inner part of the triangle to match the curve of the fuse. I hate gaps!
Pics to follow.
LG is next...
Mar 05, 2018, 06:06 PM
Retired CAD guy
Great progress !
Mar 06, 2018, 11:17 AM
treefinder
looking great!

Stay calm and carry on!
Mar 07, 2018, 06:14 AM
Warbirds Lover
Hi !
Nice build, congratulations.

If i can give an advcice : don't go the first flight with so much (70%) expo.
The plane can be touchy on the elevator axis but... it also can be NOT and if NOT + 70% expo... It could be difficult to pilot her. Just my two cents...

No more than 50% for a first flight imho

About the elevator angle of attack :
A wing or a horizontal stab can be set with the leading edge a few degrees above or under their trailing edge (The most commun is "above") in the purpose of reducing the fuselage's drag by placing it parallel to the main airflow while the plane is flying at the best glide speed.

You can see that on the F-4U Corsair, for example .
Last edited by Dreamcatcher; Mar 07, 2018 at 07:46 AM.
Mar 07, 2018, 06:33 AM
Build, crash...repeat
Thread OP
Thanks for your advice Dreamcatcher, Iíll keep that in mind.
Iíve had a lot of other things going on lately, so work on this bird has been slowed a bit. But today I hope to sand a little more and then attach the fin and rudder. I think Iíll put a coat or two of water based Minwax polyurethane to fill in the sanded pores and get it ready for paint. What do you think, MPF guru Springer?

Quick Reply