Piper Cherokee - Page 2 - RC Groups
Feb 11, 2018, 07:35 AM
Build, crash...repeat

Fuse sides

Time to glue the sides onto the monobloc. I tried a glue I've never tried before; Gorilla Glue Clear. I like using BSI Foam Cure and this may be similar. I happen to have a large woodworking bench vise to hold it together while it dried. I didnt need a lot of pressure, just something consistent.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2018, 08:15 AM
Build, crash...repeat

Fuse, continued

I measured and cut the tail deck and bottom piece. Got it right after a couple of tries. Unfortunately, I learned after the assembly dried that the tail did not end up square to the main body section. It had something to do with the creases I made to allow the tail to curve upwards slightly. Oh yeah, and I neglected to use a square. This error required some tweaks to the stabilizer alignment later on. On the next build I think I'll use a couple of formers and a square to get it right.
Feb 11, 2018, 08:18 AM
Retired CAD guy
Your doing great with this design.

I had a go at my Cherokee many yrs back

I moved, it broke, It's now gone.

But, I have a GP Cherokee with flaps and although it flys, even off of grass,
it is Fast and just feels heavy.

The Mice in the barn nearly ate it.
they chewed up the Servo leads and several ribs.
Lots of Insulating plastics are made from SOY and mice LIKE to Eat it.
They totally ate my GP Bird Of Time ARF version.

regardless ,

Can't wait to see yours in the air !
Last edited by birdofplay; Feb 11, 2018 at 08:25 AM.
Feb 11, 2018, 09:00 AM
Build, crash...repeat
Sorry to hear about the rodent problem. I had some in my boat once, and a whole family in my basement insulation once, until we got a new mouser cat who dispensed with them. Your real Cherokee looks great, do you fly it often? And your CAD designs should translate to nice PDF plans? ; )
Feb 11, 2018, 09:21 AM
treefinder
Ron, on that centered tail, straight fuse issue, for next time, I will glue up the fuse then lay it on the work table flat on one side (assuming there is a flat portion of the sides) measure ftom glue joint (centerline). to table then flip it over and measure again. Then reset till they match. You could use the band sawed scrap to hold yours I suppose since I don't think you have a flat.
Feb 11, 2018, 01:46 PM
Retired CAD guy
The Foam Cherokee plans included a miserable KF wing design with the
intent of putting the LG on the spars.

The KF didn't blow much air my skirt nor did it look very appealing .
Oh ... it flew but it wasnt a joy.

So I never offered it up for sale on my site..
If you want those you're welcome.

Will you be proffering plans for your version ?

Bob @ Hoosier Cutout Service
Feb 11, 2018, 04:47 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Yeah I'll have align things better somehow next time. Your idea sounds good. And maybe a tail former or two. I've seen jigs used to keep everything lined up too but I've never done that.
By the way, I know "Ron" is in my handle, but only because I liked the play on words. My brother's name is Ron though. He's not into RC or modeling, but he's damn good at woodworking and CAD architectural design. My real name is Bob.
Next up is the wing. The balsa plan was an airfoil of course, so I wanted the same. Something like a Armin wing Clark Y airfoil. I copied the balsa model airfoil outline and designed a foam one.
I decided to use DTFB for the top because I figured it's thinner, softer, and more bendable. The bottom was MPF. The wooden spar is some pine I had from another project 3/8 in thick. Perfect. The foam spars were MPF on bottom and DTFB on top to maintain the correct dimensions.
Feb 11, 2018, 05:47 PM
When cows fly!
Looking good!
Feb 11, 2018, 05:52 PM
Build, crash...repeat

Airfoil wing

I made the center section first and did a test fit. I was surprised at how well it fit. I glued it to the brace. Then I partially made one wing side, taping the leading edge joining the upper and lower sheets. Laid out the spar location, glued the foam spars. I then sanded an 8 degree bevel on the inner section. Hot glued the lower sections together and the spar onto the wing lower section. Folded over the top section, glued it to the spars, then glued the trailing edge. Repeated for the other side.
Feb 11, 2018, 07:30 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Sweet!

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Feb 11, 2018, 11:50 PM

Piper Cherokee/Warrior Model

Hi AilRRon and all, was just looking at your thread, and thought there may be some interest in a Piper WarriorI made some years ago. It is/was a classroom demonstrator for a pilot friend of mine, and was a `Balsa' build (sorry about that), with the fuselage built similar to your Cherokee, the wing span was 30 inches from memory. It now hangs retired in his home in Tasmania. - Cheers everybody. Deni
Feb 12, 2018, 05:54 AM
Build, crash...repeat
Hi Demi, really nice looking scale model. Balsa is great, I built a few as a kid. I've not built with balsa mostly because I know how upset I'd be when I crash these birds and foam takes a beating a little better and easier to repair. But your scale Piper is beautiful! Was it glo fuel or 'lectric?
Feb 12, 2018, 06:00 AM
Build, crash...repeat
I have a question for the aeronautical engineers out there. On the model I'm building the elevator is not parallel to the wing plane. It's tilted up towards aft. I hope its on purpose but I don't know why. On any other plane I've built so far, the two are parallel.
Feb 12, 2018, 07:19 AM
treefinder
Is it parallel to a line from it to the motor shaft? Generally (but not always) the plane of the tailplane is parallel to the motor, setting up the thrust line. The wing will sometimes have positive incidence to the thrust line .
Feb 12, 2018, 07:47 AM
Retired CAD guy
Take a closer look at View s7 & 9 above in my previous posting

It's OK to have the Main wing between 0 to 3 max degs of Nose up.
But if your Elevator is rotated NOSE UP it means the plane will Head NOSE down
and likely never get off the ground.

Quick Reply