Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 07, 2018, 03:15 AM
Discussion

Solarfilm to cease Trading

Solarfilm will cease trading from 12th February 2018, so if you like its products get in fast. Like the quote this is due to a shrinking market
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2018, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex BOF
Solarfilm will cease trading from 12th February 2018, so if you like its products get in fast. Like the quote this is due to a shrinking market
Hope this doesn't apply to Solartex.
Feb 07, 2018, 08:33 AM
ʇsol
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY
Hope this doesn't apply to Solartex.
Rumor is yes.

Info from Modelflying UK

Here's the announcement:
Last edited by vulturetec; Feb 07, 2018 at 08:39 AM.
Feb 07, 2018, 08:39 AM
Ouch... looks like the roll of Solartex recently purchased for my current project will be my last use.
Feb 07, 2018, 09:13 AM
Never got to try it. I know I hated to see Coverite Supershrink disappear years ago. It was great stuff as well as what I hear for Solartex.
Feb 07, 2018, 10:01 AM
Wonder what the Chinese counterpart tex covering is or will be?
Feb 07, 2018, 10:47 AM
ʇsol
I suspect Oratex may fill in some gaps. Not as many colors though. It will be interesting to see what Balsa USA shifts to.
Latest blog entry: Sagitta 600 build 2018
Feb 07, 2018, 11:39 AM
team sleprock
unfortunately I have only covered one model with "SOLARTEX" and all i can say is DAMN!

did it come out nice, but that was way before I even thought about having any painting skills, so i never used it again, but now that I am taking on, more projects that i would like too paint! (one of my next projects, Midwest Pitts special) that i was planning on doing in "natural solartex"

hopefully there will still be some around, when i get the extra cash on hand!

nothing I have worked with, covers like solartex,

what a time too be alive, with rockets landing themselves, too micro electronics being able too all but fly themselves, all the while, companies like tower, and solarfilm are closing their doors!

don't get me wrong, I do enjoy going too the field, and mingaling with the other flyer's, but I get more joy from building, I can spend days building a airplane, that I might get a total of an hour of flight time, before hanging on the wall, and building another!

just sad, that when everything is getting more affordable, the building side of things, isn't!

and now we're loosing suppliers everyday!
Latest blog entry: Mig 29/Su37 super flanker
Feb 07, 2018, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulturetec
I suspect Oratex may fill in some gaps. Not as many colors though. It will be interesting to see what Balsa USA shifts to.
Agreed, I'll be watching Balsa USA as well. I've sure they've known for awhile.

Have you ever used Oratex?
Feb 07, 2018, 01:43 PM
ʇsol
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Bergsmith
Have you ever used Oratex?
No I haven't. Generally their fabric products have a good reputation though, but some of the full-scale guys claim the heavier fabric doesn't work around curves (wing tips, etc) as well as other fabrics.
Latest blog entry: Sagitta 600 build 2018
Feb 07, 2018, 02:05 PM
B for Bruce
It would be ironic if we were pushed back to products like Esaki tissue and silkspan. I'm not sure about the Esaki tissue but silkspan is what is used for making teabags. So it'll always be around.
Latest blog entry: Garden Gliders
Feb 07, 2018, 02:55 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
I might be mistaken but I heard silkspan is no longer being made. There was quite a bit of talk about it not long ago. I think K&N decided to stop. However, since I'm not a big silkspan user ( What I have in stock is probably more than I'll ever use), I didn't pay that much attention.

Mike
Feb 07, 2018, 08:49 PM
Stitts light, Sig Koverall

Solartex was the best
Feb 08, 2018, 06:02 AM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_whitney
Stitts light, Sig Koverall

Solartex was the best
Yup. I loved Solartex. I never saw the need to try Koverall, etc.

These were all done with Solartex and paint.
Feb 08, 2018, 06:33 AM
ARFs Are Me
I just ordered 20 meters of White Solartex for an upcoming project. I figured that I better get it while I could.

Quick Reply