My first real kit build - Flair Puppeteer II - Page 3 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by Howlnsound, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 20, 2018, 08:57 PM
Hi TD.

Thanks, me too. My friends have a bet on if I will actually let it off the ground after it's done. They think I'll be too invested to see it go up. I said.... "oh it will go up at least once! It may come down only once, but I will get it in the air first!"

I did try BUSA. They didn't show what I needed, but they did have their stuff. It's similar but it needs a glue and then needs to be painted. I'm gonna look at Arizona Models as well. They have some fabric covering, but I think it's expensive and their measuring is weird. Maybe I will have to call.

Say tuned, more tonight!!!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2018, 09:17 PM

And Another Great Day of the Pup Build!

Tonight was both a great Build night, and eventful. It was exciting, and frustrating. All this packed into a few hours of "what the hell???" and "Oh yeh baby!!! "

I started unpinning all the pieces from yesterday, and getting the last piece that is the rear of the cockpit and the base for the fillets along the top. I had to sand it a bit to fit and then I measured, and measured, and measured again. I just couldn't get it even. I finally found on a whole other sheet of directions / plans, the correct specific measurements for where it gets glued, 16mm from the front of the rear wall of the front half of the fuselage.

So I put it there. And I measured, and measured again. Finally I said..."just glue it in stupid" (gee I wonder where I heard that before??? See Joe, I listen, and some things stick).

Anyways, I did. Then I found a piece for the rear upper fillet stop. And I measured about fifty times for the right spot. And glued that in which let me cut the fillets for the top to fit in their respective slots.

Now some of the more frustrating part.... I ran out of stock long enough for the last fillet (see pic) . What I will take away from that is to watch what I cut from in the future.

I will have to make a run to the local hobby shop or Joe's stash to see if he has a stick or two. - so, not the end of the word.

Instead, I went on to the side fillets.

I was unstoppable tonight!

Every time I figured I'd put it down for the night, I just kept going, until finally, the sides were on and CA'd and squared up, and the wing fillets were laminated and attached to the fuse.

I am very pleased with the outcome! I have lots of pics to share. I even test fit the horizontal stabilizer and the upper wing braces for a pic or two.

Next is to drill and install the upper wing braces and start the sheeting and solder the landing gear. Then, on to the wings!

Exciting!!!

Please stay tuned and feel free to comment, lots more to come!

Kev
Mar 20, 2018, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlnsound
Hi TD.

Thanks, me too. My friends have a bet on if I will actually let it off the ground after it's done. They think I'll be too invested to see it go up. I said.... "oh it will go up at least once! It may come down only once, but I will get it in the air first!"

I did try BUSA. They didn't show what I needed, but they did have their stuff. It's similar but it needs a glue and then needs to be painted. I'm gonna look at Arizona Models as well. They have some fabric covering, but I think it's expensive and their measuring is weird. Maybe I will have to call.

Say tuned, more tonight!!!
Ah, bummer. I had recalled hearing them mentioned when someone else was looking for Solartex. Sorry it didn’t help!

The photos from tonight look great, you’re a much quicker builder than I.
Latest blog entry: Zen Toolworks CNC Spindle Mount
Mar 22, 2018, 09:45 PM

Snag in the Plan

Hello all,

Not much to report. I had a small incident at work that has me laid back taking it easy for a few days, so I haven't gotten to do any building the past two days. ...... stupid priorities!

Anyways, while I'm off my feet, I took the time to research covering.

Good news, I finally found some Solartex!

Bad news... I waited to pull the trigger to long and the colors and sizes I wanted was gone....

Good news, I found another place....

Bad news, it's in @&$%^! New Zealand....

And it's more expensive... Slightly after currency conversion.

Anyways, I checked the place out and it all looks legit with good ratings and international shipping that was only $19 bucks so I gave it a shot.

I couldn't find Linen color anywhere so I had to settle for antique. It's close, so I think it will be ok, I may just have to weather it. They did have the white in stock so there's that at least.

I found the other colors, olive, red, dark blue, at Balsa USA still in stock so I grabbed those as well.

Received an email confirmation immediately for both and when I was checking the NZ place out on the internet, I sent them a message via Facebook (or rather my wife did cause I hate Facebook and don't use it) and he just answered with order confirmation and delivery time. Should be less than 2 weeks he said. ..... ok so far.

I also was able to have the wife stop by the Local Hobby Shop on her way home from work, only 3 minutes for her and she passes right by it .....hehehehe.... man is she mad about that!

She was able to get the balsa stick I was short and a few back ups for some other sizes as well. I also had her get some lite ply to thicken up the firewall sine it will be electric and rely on only the firewall to support the motor.

So all in all, a productive few days.... but boring.

I should be back up and at it this weekend if all goes well. So stay tuned.

Have a good one,

Kev
Mar 23, 2018, 10:10 PM

Back At the Pup - Sorta

I was able to work for a short amount of time tonight. Unfortunately I didn't get a lot done, but enough done to feel ok about it and the discomfort I'm in now.

I was able to fit, cut and CA the last stringer on the top rear turtle deck.

And I was able to measure and mark the holes for the upper wing supports.

Now I just have to find the right 4mm drill and set up my drill press. Then hope I can hold the darn things straight... they're all curved. (Of course)

I am hoping to get to solder the landing gear as well this weekend, but we will see how I'm feeling.

The plans are a bit... well not clear... at this point on the order of the next steps, so I'm just gonna have to pick a direction and commit.

Should be fun!

Have a good one!

Kevin
Mar 27, 2018, 09:09 PM

Fighting the Good Fight Getting Back to the Pup!

Been hurting a little to much the past few days to go all at it, but I have managed to get some stuff done.

I was able to get the one side sheeted, I think I said that already. I did get some pics so I'll attach them in a bit.

Tonight I decided to try my best for as long as I could take it. I had to stop a few times, but I did make some good progress.

After I did the one side sheeting, I realized that I should figure out the inside before I closed it all up and made it difficult to get to. Since I am making it electric, I had to devise a hatch and battery tray along with relocating the servos.

I think I got it!

I mocked up some joists and a small piece for a platform for the battery then tried to figure the servo location out. Instead of the fuel tank, I am going to try to use the hold that was meant for the fuel tank box. I was able to get the battery much further forward then I thought. (It's a reach thing from where the hatch is, rather than a space thing). Once I am sure I am happy with it, which will more than likely need a second opinion form my trusty friend, I just have to make sure the lateral balance is going to be ok. I tried to check it while it was mocked up and it seemed ok, but I wasn't very exact or scientific about it.

Since I have to beef up the firewall anyways, I may need to make to opening more centered for lateral balance. Or I will just end up adding weight to the nose possibly. As it is, the battery will end up right over the wing and a little forward. It should be perfect..... I think. Right about where the COG should end up. Please take a look at the pics for reference.

For the hatch, I made an additional top former (you can see it pinned in the pic) it's just a balsa template, the real one will have to be ply because it will mate up the a second one that will be part of the actual cockpit / hatch. I am envisioning the front lip of the hatch / cockpit will slide slightly under the sheeting on top by the new former to lock in the front, and latch in the back where the rear stringers are, with either magnets or a physical turn latch. I will have the hatch / cockpit have a floor, dash, and pilot seated in it, that will be permanently attached to it and remove as one piece.

It should look great! .... at least it does in my head.

Take a look at the pics and tell me what you think. I always appreciate good advice from more experienced builders!

Kevin
Mar 28, 2018, 09:19 PM

Pup Build Getting Back on Tack

Not too much to report today. Working late the rest of the week.

Some of my Solartex came in today so that was exciting to see it. Olive, Red, and Blue. Now I just have to wait for the rest. Should hopefully only be another week. (From New Zealand).

I got the extra sheeting and some more sticks of various sizes for whatever, so I should be all set for now there. Along with some extra bottles of CA. Ya just never want to run out in the middle of gluing something... right!

I have decided that after I drill out the wing supports and attach them, I am probably going to put the fuse to the side and start on the wings. This way once I get them done, I can really check if the CoG is going to work out or if I need to come up with another idea for the battery tray. I don't want to close it all in and then find out I have to rip it all apart.

I may tackle the landing gear as well since I was able to find some Williams Vintage wheels I had packed away for a different build that I bought spoked wire wheels for. They are only 3 3/4 " instead of 4", but I think they will still be ok. If not, they will be ok for now. I picked up the copper wire to wrap the supports and axle for soldering so I should be set there. I saw a video and the plans talk about putting tubing and a cotter pin at the end for scale looks, but I have to find the video again because I can't remember how it is built right now. I may decide to go that route while I'm at it.

Anyways, that's about it for today, I hope to layout the plans tomorrow at least and set up for the wings.

Have a good one, and stay tuned.
Kevin
Apr 02, 2018, 09:34 PM

Screeching halt

Well unfortunately I was laid up pretty bad this weekend.

Apparently the flu was still going around....funny no one told me till it was too late. So I got that, which flaired up my injury, which made walking / standing impossible, which compounded everything and means nothing got done yet.

So I'm still where I was. But at least I'm starting to feel a little better and the time off my feet I think is helping a little with my back and legs so ...... there's that bright side I guess.

On a cheerier note, my Solartex came in from New Zealand. Showed up this evening in great shape way ahead of schedule. I didn't think it would be here till next Monday.

I was so pleased, I wrote them and placed another order.

While I'm laid up I am going to order my motor and ESC so I can have them ready for when it comes time to be mounted. They should only take a few days to come in from my LHS. I think I am going with an EFlight Power 60 - 470kv and a Castle Talon90 ESC on 6s 5000mah lipos. That should give me plenary of power / run time and I can run a decent size wooden vintage style Xoar prop. I still have to do the calculations but it's the same power setup I run in my Carbon Z Cub that should be about the same weight and that thing screams.

The alternative is a Power 90 at 325kv with the Talon 90 on 6s 5000mah. Not sure what I'll gain though as I don't want to go with bigger batteries.

I guess we'll see....

I have been looking around for the right style "prop nut" or "washer" that can go over the prop for a more scale finished look.

Very hard to find, but I have some time and by the time I'm ready for it, possibly the skill to make one if necessary.

Anyways, I'll get back at it as soon as I can,

Please stay tuned....

Kevin
Apr 03, 2018, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlnsound
Well unfortunately I was laid up pretty bad this weekend.

Apparently the flu was still going around....funny no one told me till it was too late. So I got that, which flaired up my injury, which made walking / standing impossible, which compounded everything and means nothing got done yet.

So I'm still where I was. But at least I'm starting to feel a little better and the time off my feet I think is helping a little with my back and legs so ...... there's that bright side I guess.

On a cheerier note, my Solartex came in from New Zealand. Showed up this evening in great shape way ahead of schedule. I didn't think it would be here till next Monday.

I was so pleased, I wrote them and placed another order.

While I'm laid up I am going to order my motor and ESC so I can have them ready for when it comes time to be mounted. They should only take a few days to come in from my LHS. I think I am going with an EFlight Power 60 - 470kv and a Castle Talon90 ESC on 6s 5000mah lipos. That should give me plenary of power / run time and I can run a decent size wooden vintage style Xoar prop. I still have to do the calculations but it's the same power setup I run in my Carbon Z Cub that should be about the same weight and that thing screams.

The alternative is a Power 90 at 325kv with the Talon 90 on 6s 5000mah. Not sure what I'll gain though as I don't want to go with bigger batteries.

I guess we'll see....

I have been looking around for the right style "prop nut" or "washer" that can go over the prop for a more scale finished look.

Very hard to find, but I have some time and by the time I'm ready for it, possibly the skill to make one if necessary.

Anyways, I'll get back at it as soon as I can,

Please stay tuned....

Kevin
Take it easy for a while, pushing yourself too early will only end up extending the time you’re put up. Plus, the time spent resting can be used to “mind build” and think through what modifications you’re planning to make. I find taking a little time to run through it in your head helps turn out better work than just grabbing and going.

It looks fantastic so far, and looks like you’ve got a ton of room for the batteries. Should be able to find something that works really well with that setup.

Looking forward to seeing more, but make sure you’re feeling a bit better first!
Apr 11, 2018, 09:29 PM

The Build Begins Again!.... Sorta

Well, I tried to go back at it today. Maybe a bit too much, but hopefully not too bad. We will see tomorrow when I get up.

So I started to clean up a bit. I moved the fuse to the side and brushed off the build table.

I laid down the new plans for one of the wing halves and taped and covered it with wax paper.

Then I started cutting, or rather popping out the ribs. I cleaned them up a bit and set them aside.

Next I gathered and sorted the spars and sheeting.

Then I got dumb and started pinning stuff down and placing the ribs.....

NOTE... Read plans first, then read again. Then start pinning.

So I unpinned everything and then put down the trailing edge, then unpinned everything again when I figured out I goofed again and realized I needed to do a whole bunch more steps before the ribs even came into play.

Good thing the CA was still out of reach.

Anyways, once I kinda figured out what I really needed to do, I started to cut the cap strips and pin them down. I have to cut out the openings for the center section yet on the center sheeting, and trim the end ribs, but I made some progress at least.

Oh and my other batch of covering I ordered is waiting at the post office today. It needed a signature apparently and I wasn't home. I think that was faster than the last time!

So here are some pics, I'm a bit soar so I'm off to bed. I have a few things to do after work tomorrow but I am hoping to get back at it regularly again.... we will see, nice and slow....and easy... for now.
May 09, 2018, 09:10 PM

Back At It - Here and There...

I have been slowly trying to get back into this build but my recovery has taken much longer than anticipated. Standing and sitting by the build table is still painful.

But over the past few weeks I made some progress on the wing.

I'll post more soon but here are some pics of what I have ended up with so far.

I am almost ready to move on to the second half of the bottom wing.

You'll notice where I deviate from the plans a bit.

I have decided to do a dual servo set up for the ailerons. One for each side, top and bottom. The top and bottom will still be joined as in the plans. I think it will work well and shouldn't add too much but will make the plane fly better. At least in theory.

The plans are very hard to understand at this point and you almost have to reference all pages of them at once. Well, actually you do!

If I had one suggestion to myself if I were to start over, it would be to read everything on the prints and plans several more times. The information isn't all there and what is isn't necessarily intuitive or right in front of you. You have to dig.

There have also been a great build log here on RCG that has helped a lot when the plans don't make sense. The pictures in the build log are very helpful in interpreting the plans.

So I hope mine will help someone in the future as well.

Still having fun though and it's starting to look like a wing now......

Have a good one!
Kevin
May 12, 2018, 01:31 AM
What kind of chair are you using? I recently grabbed a pretty nice stool that adjusts high enough to make building more comfortable. I screwed up my back a while ago and always ended up with a stiff back after leaning over the work bench for anything over 10min. After getting a proper stool it’s night and day. Here’s a link to the one I’ve been using if you’re interested (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072Y...?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

The build is looking great!
May 12, 2018, 09:27 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
It's going to be a lovely model. I have a bit of experience with WW1 models so this isn't just opinion-- the battery needs to go as far forward, if not ahead , of the firewall.

Quick Reply