Jun 24, 2018, 04:39 PM
formerly Juddkleinman
The Colorado contingent finally got to do some real combat with our KE's! Chris Country and my self both built one up for the MIke Furcolow Fun Fly back in May and Michael Gantner kindly donated one to our raffle. Michael and I had some grand plans for comparing kills and crowning a Champion for the weekend, since both the FFF and NCGG were on the same weekend, but we got skunked! In three days we managed only about a hour of combat and a total of 3 kills.
Well this weekend we meet up the first of our two combat session at Willow Creek/Blue Mesa and man was the wind good. I made it up to the hill at about 11am on Saturday and it was already blowing 10+. It just built nice and steady from there until it was a constant 30 with gusts to 40. Chris and I got to combat for a good 2 hours with our KE's and a bunch of bee's. I was really impressed. It handled all kinds of wind speed and lift. It recovers really well from hits to. At 26.5 oz it flies like a lighter plane in light wind and handled the 30+ much better than I expected. It took some big hits and took them well. I went back and forth a few times flying my heavy bee with some lead on it and my KE and I really preferred the KE. Now to build one closer to 21oz for those really light days.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2018, 07:07 PM
Held by Grace
Thread OP
Mountain : Great to hear some feed back from our western brothers !
We had epic wind at the games with wind at 40 gusting over 50 on Friday .
Once I got home it was a month before I could get out to anything flyable.
That was a couple of weeks ago in marginal wind for our hill {11 to 12 mph} with my 26 oz KE and also a"fat wing" KE made with a wider chord .
I had been told that The fat wing flew better in the light conditions than the stock but I have to say on our small ,turbulent hill I preferred my 26 oz KE,
it's extra energy carried it through the bumps,holes and sink better, at least on that day on our hill.
Don't forget to post some picture when you can
Jun 24, 2018, 07:51 PM
I'm the chap that built the other KnifeEdge here in Colorado this spring. Like Judd said, it is the first time we've been able to fly them in good conditions with many other pilots up at the same time. Mine flew great! It was super agile as I was able to pull aggressive elevator and recoveries were quick and "Bee like". It's really hard to choose a clearly dominant wing design as conditions were perfect and everything was flying well at our event but I can say with confidence that I wouldn't look elsewhere after flying the KE. Oh, and everyone loves the look of the unique elevons.
Jun 25, 2018, 04:11 AM
Held by Grace
Thread OP
Hey Chris : I am glad you guy’s finally got some wind to get out and go at it in .
You should consider picking up a Sizzle from the GEMS boys. It is a really neat little wing - think Weasle on steroids .
Mike
Nov 19, 2018, 01:45 PM
Held by Grace
Thread OP

another Knife Edge ready for maiden

The summer has come and gone here in central New York State with almost no opportunities to slope in any good wind since June.
Now that the temperatures have fallen below freezing and snow is making its appearance.....Finally NW wind forecast over 20mph this Wednesday

I have a friends new Knife Edge ready for it's maiden,it is reinforced with extreme tape and covered with a "solartex "like material which I then covered with 1.7 laminating film.
she has a AUW of 26oz
Details of the build previously posted -

"A Knife Edge update :
I know that Nickle Metal batteries are preferred in many other parts of the country ,the stock Knife Edge kit with all its pre -fabrication is arranged more for the Li Fe batteries ,this is my work around for those that want to use the NM batteries

I am putting together a Knife Edge for a friend and he uses a 2000ma Nickel Metal receiver pack.
My planes are all set up with the Li Fe paks,I am using a 1100ma pak in my Knife Edge, on the scales there is a 3 oz gain in weight with the NM set up.
The C/G on the KE is 9 inches back from the LE so a extra 3 oz in the stock position looked to be problematic with out adding a lot of lead in the back.

I like to glue a plywood plate in the bottom of my wings centered on the C/G, i then drill a small hole on the C/G and screw in a small screw eye.
This makes balancing a super easy and allows you to check your balance at a later date , just screw the eye back in,

After confirming C/G with the Li Fe installed in its stock location,I removed the Li Fe pak and moved the NM pak around to see if I could find that same balance position with it in a different location .
As it turned out, switching the receiver and the battery locations on the plane did the trick.
I will cover up the new battery location with some scrap epp fro the wing beds.
I enlarged the old stock receiver pocket for the battery and modified the old battery pocket by cutting a lip around it to glue in a chloroplast hatch.
I also make up a smaller chloroplast hatch with some scarp I had in the shop, you could use the larger stock hatch but I wanted to keep as much material as possible in the front of the wing for strength .
The pre- cut channels for the servo wires and battery still work out,the battery lead just goes from the back to the front instead of front to the back ."
Nov 21, 2018, 08:20 PM
Held by Grace
Thread OP

November Maiden

Its been a Long Wait for good wind over 20 mph from the proper direction here in central New York, this past June was the last time.
Today it came back with a vengeance , a predicted 20 to 22 mph as a Canadian clipper front moved though the area....
what better time to maiden a New Knife Edge

I put up my trusty KE first to test the conditions,
The wind was already a steady 22 gusting to above 30 {measured by my new Hall Wind Meter- Thank You Ken } as it vectored between west and northwest,bumpy but fun.
I landed and switched models on my DX-9 to The new Red KE.

Here we go - out to the brink of the hill and launched as the wind picked up and a snow squall fired off...winter sloping in New York -
A couple of clicks of up and she was trimmed,I spent the next 20 minutes ripping back and fourth putting her through the paces , could have just flown her the rest of the afternoon but I brought other planes and she needs to go to her new owner unbroken or scratched.

The wind had continued to build to around 30 coming right up the hill { is it me,every time I call landing the lift seems to go into overdrive ,especially when my hands get cold } I am not sure how many passes I made to get a pop up where I lost energy but eventually set her down in a scrub bush in the center of the slope unharmed {better lucky than good any day} .

I am really impressed how the strapping tape,3M 77,Red Baron fabric {I think } and laminating film turned out.
It is strong ,very smooth and Fast.

The 48" Knife Edge is one Excellent Flying wing !

Happy Thanks Giving to All !
Mike

BTW - The wind continued to increase to a sustained 40 mph and gusts over 50 ,I had my heavy 36 oz wings up then
Last edited by BDOG1; Nov 21, 2018 at 08:29 PM.
Dec 01, 2018, 04:25 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Well, seeing those pictures make me realize how spoiled we are here in Southern Cal.

With the wind it must’ve been pretty darn cold!

Really good to see you flying Mike.

Dave
Dec 02, 2018, 09:31 AM
Held by Grace
Thread OP
Hi Dave :
Yes it was Great to get out in the wind again !been a long wait
When there is good /great lift I don't get cold, caught up in the moment maybe...I do have multiple layers of clothing that I wear that finishes with a wind proof
outer shell made by "FrogTogs"
The only thing that bothered me was the wind watering my eyes behind my glasses.
After that session I finally went out and bought a good set of goggles so I am good to go now.
I found my personal temperature limit last winter around 15 degrees,I was cold then and my DX-9 display was not liking it either.

Seems like RCG is back up and working now I have some new stuff to post shortly

Take care Dave
Mike
Dec 02, 2018, 09:41 AM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
The site his back up for the most part. But posting pictures directly from your iPhone is still a pain, it s not fixed to the way it was yet. They have to be downsized now.

Dave
Dec 03, 2018, 11:49 AM
Held by Grace
Thread OP
Dec 05, 2018, 08:12 PM
Held by Grace
Thread OP

I hope RCG gets things sorted out soon

I see the site still is having problems ,
Just don't have the patience/ time to keep re inputting my log on/password to try and post or search or whatever
Like others I will take a step back from RCG and spend my time building while waiting for the wind to turn to the NW and build .
I hope RCG gets things sorted out soon.
Mike

Quick Reply