Horizon Hobby Cirrus SR22T 1.5m BNF Basic Review

This sleek Cirrus SR22T from Horizon Hobby brings features galore and great flying manners to a wide range RC pilots.

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan: 60"
Wing Area: 338 Sq In
Length: 41"
Flying Weight: 1633g
Motor: E-flite 10-Size Brushless Outrunner Motor
ESC: E-flite 40A Brushless ESC
Receiver: Spektrum AR636A Receiver with AS3X and SAFE Select Technology
Prop Size: Scale 3 blade
Servos: (6) Spektrum A330 Micro, 9 Gram
Battery: 22003000mAh 3S LiPo Flight Battery (not included)
Available at: Horizon Hobby
Price: $229.99

The Cirrus SR22T is a sleek turbocharged piston engine civilian aircraft capable of transporting up to 5 people in style and comfort. Horizon Hobby has brought all the great looks and spirited performance to the average modeler with this officially licensed rendition.

The 1.5M wingspan is large enough without being too large. The model has power, smooth flying character, good flight duration and is suitable for a wide range of pilot abilities.

Kit Contents

The model came exceptionally well packaged, no shipping damage at all. The BNF (Bind-N-Fly) version includes everything that you need except the 6 channel DSM2/DSMX full range transmitter, 3S 2200mAh LiPo battery and suitable LiPo battery charger. All the electronics are preinstalled making this a very quick build. All components are high quality and should provide trouble free service.

Assembly

Anyone that has assembled an ARF or two will have no problems with the Cirrus. Assembly steps are very straight forward and the fit of all parts was spot on. Assembly time is less than an hour and there is no glueing involved.

Details that deserve special note:

• Large magnetically retained canopy provides easy access to the spacious interior
  • Flaps are large and come pre-installed with really nice hinges that look and work great.
  • Wings with hands free plug-in for servos and lights, slide it in place and flaps, ailerons and lights are connected automatically.
  • Lights galore. In addition to navigation lights on the wing tips, the Cirrus comes with landing lights, wing tip strobes and a red beacon on the belly.
  • Beautiful scale trim scheme with pearlescent paint.
  • Lots of scale details including radio antenna and boarding steps add that touch of realism to set this model apart.

The photos below show some of the assembly steps, I won't bore you with repeating them here.

Flying

First flight was for flying still photos. After a quick control check to see that all surfaces were moving in the correct direction and amount, I taxied out to the flight line. The tricycle landing gear have a fairly wide stance and ground handling is excellent. I made a scale-like take off using just about 1/2 throttle. The roll was straight and the liftoff gentle. When the plane reached takeoff speed it just rose into the air without the need to pull much elevator at all. There were no surprises, just a smooth confidence building rise into the air. It was immediately evident that this was going to be a plane that I would enjoy flying. The balance at the factory recommended location seemed right on, very little trim was necessary. The Cirrus is a sleek and smooth airplane and this model embodies those traits, not only in looks but in performance. The turns are very locked in and smooth.

Basics

The SR22T was set up per the factory recommendations. The correct CG was easy to achieve, the flight battery can be slid forward or aft to adjust. One nice thing about having the battery location just about on the CG point is that a wide range of flight batteries are possible with little effect on the balance of the airplane. I set up the flaps on a 3 position switch and used my radios servo slowdown function to make them move at a more scale speed.

Taking Off and Landing

With a scale airplane my preference is to make the take off and landing as scale looking as possible. This is rather easy to do with the SR22T. The wide stance tricycle gear provide solid control on the ground and make taxiing and take off tracking easy. The model has more than scale power so for a scale take off only about 1/2 throttle is necessary. With 1/2 flaps applied and a smooth application of throttle the SR22T accelerates quickly to take off speed and rotates into flight without jumping off the tarmac. Once I put the flaps up, the SR22T climbed quickly to altitude and felt great doing it. The landings were equally easy to perform. Full flaps were applied and the airplane slowed down very nicely. I did not find that I needed any elevator to flap compensation as very little pitch change occurred when the flaps were engaged. The airplane does have a flat glide without flaps but when full flaps are deployed and the throttle reduced to a low setting the glide slope increases. The AS3X does its job well in smoothing out the turbulence on gusty days. A tiny bit of throttle was added just about at touchdown and feather smooth landings are the result.

Aerobatics/Special Flight Performance

While the full scale SR22T is a high performance airplane it was not intended for aerobatic flight. The SR22T model on the other hand is actually quite aerobatic. It is fully capable of loops, rolls, hammerhead stalls and inverted flight and performs these maneuvers with ease. The brushless power system is well beyond scale in power. At full throttle the airplane really scoots along. The large flight envelope of this model is one of the things that impressed me the most, it will fly at anywhere from a crawl to pretty darn quick and do it all with perfect control. Flight times with the 2200mAh battery are in the 5-7 minute range and much longer flight times are possible with a larger battery. I flew with a large 5200mAh pack that I had and didn't notice any ill effects to the added weight but had flight times in excess of 15 minutes.

Is This For a Beginner?

Probably not a first plane but certainly within the range of a pilot with little more than novice ability. If the factory recommendations are followed this is a very easy to fly airplane that doesn't have any vices that I could detect.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

Horizon Hobby E-flite Cirrus SR22T 1.5m RCGroups Flight Video (3 min 30 sec)

Conclusion

If you are looking for an airplane with great looks both on the ground and in the air, this may be the plane that you are looking for. Easy to assemble, easy to fly and just plain fun.

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy.
  • RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Mar 07, 2018 at 08:22 AM..
Mar 07, 2018, 10:36 AM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
A clubmate has one of these and loves it! It also makes for a great dusk/twilight flier with the lights it has.
Mar 07, 2018, 10:48 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
Rampage... you watching this?
This might as close a you're gonna get to a Bonanza.
Mar 07, 2018, 02:57 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo
Rampage... you watching this?
This might as close a you're gonna get to a Bonanza.
A Bonanza's as close as I've gotten to a Bonanza.

There are actually quite a few Bonanzas available. What I want is a really good, scale Cherokee 140. For a plane that's been so influential on civil aviation, it's almost completely ignored. The best we get are some low-wing sport planes that they call Cherokees that look nothing like Cherokees. The only one I've seen at all is the RCGuys 1/4 scale Cherokee. The discontinued CMP Arrow (and the HobbyKing Cherokee version with fixed gear) was another good one but had a lot of structural flaws.

That being said, if this were a Cherokee I would've preordered it.
Mar 07, 2018, 05:20 PM
I wish all RC aircraft flew as well as this plane. It's flight characteristics exceeded my expectations. No surprises and really well behaved. I am a long time RC plane buff and was looking for a simple relaxing scale like park flier. Sometimes its fun to go back to the basics and do low and slow fly by's, touch and go's as well as scale take offs and landings. This plane delivers. I question doing acro work with this as I would want a better mount for the cabin/canopy than the simple magnet. Something with a locking pin would make me happier about inverted flight.
Mar 08, 2018, 01:07 AM
Just say no to quadcopters
Welcome to last year
Mar 08, 2018, 01:08 AM
Just say no to quadcopters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage

There are actually quite a few Bonanzas available. What I want is a really good, scale Cherokee 140. For a plane that's been so influential on civil aviation, it's almost completely ignored. The best we get are some low-wing sport planes that they call Cherokees that look nothing like Cherokees. The only one I've seen at all is the RCGuys 1/4 scale Cherokee. The discontinued CMP Arrow (and the HobbyKing Cherokee version with fixed gear) was another good one but had a lot of structural flaws.

Amen to this! Where can I get that little three bladed aluminum spinner?
Mar 08, 2018, 10:45 AM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Plane
Amen to this! Where can I get that little three bladed aluminum spinner?
It's just a generic 3-blade 1.75" aluminum spinner. I got it from Amazon but it's out of stock. HobbyKing has it in their global warehouse.

The EFlite Bonanza really needed the 3-blade prop because the 2-blade had to be so big that it was striking the nose wheel.
Mar 12, 2018, 07:44 AM
simplefly
I agree, bonanza is a true Gem in the sky. Shame Eflite is not selling them anymore.
Mar 12, 2018, 12:36 PM
That thing looks great! The detail of the antennas really make it realistic. And the flap hinges.
Mar 12, 2018, 11:21 PM
What channel is the parachute on?
Mar 13, 2018, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy ackerman
what channel is the parachute on?
:d haha
Mar 13, 2018, 07:54 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage

Here are the plans. 30% scale size. Laser cut kits available as are glass wheel pants and cowl. Machined gear struts also available. Too big? They'll print the plans to any scale you want. Half this size or 15% provides a nice set of plans for a 54 inch wing.

http://www.hostetlersplans.com/Plans...8Cherokee.html

I'm using the 30% as a basis to build the 180 C my Dad owned in the 60's. OS Flat 4 cylinder for power.
Mar 14, 2018, 01:15 PM
DFS#000178
Will they also cut the kit? I'd like one at 2 meter.

Quick Reply