Solarfilm - RC Groups
Feb 06, 2018, 10:25 AM
Discussion

Solarfilm

According to the website of Britain's leading model aircraft magazine, RCM&E, Solarfilm is to cease production later in the month.

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/...39&p=1#PostTop
to remove ads between posts
Feb 06, 2018, 11:23 AM
B for Bruce
Great...... just when I was about to go looking for some of their Fibafilm to see how well it matched the old "clear doped silkspan" look of the old days.....
Feb 06, 2018, 11:46 AM
Solartex is Solarfilm product that will also be missed.

Michael in Ontario, Canada
Feb 06, 2018, 12:26 PM
I used white Solarfilm on my Tritle Reliant mostly for opacity. It developed "crepey" skin in socal heat that does not re-shrink well and has gummy colored residue that gets on your covering iron. Solartex has a very matte fabric finish that collects dirty fingerprints and is hard to clean. It requires heavy clear coating to resist dust and dirt. Some swear by Solarfilm and Solartex and will miss it.

I'm thinking of going back to silk and laquer covering and paint for valued scale models.
Feb 06, 2018, 04:57 PM
I'm with echallenged , it's disgraceful stuff to use here in Aus . Must have needed the rain and clouds in pommie land to be any where near usable . I certainly won't miss it , although his balsa loc , and sealing paint were ok from the little I used !
Feb 06, 2018, 05:02 PM
Yes
I love it and still have some left. I will miss it.
Feb 06, 2018, 07:51 PM
Edubarca
I prefer Monokote. This wonderful covering will turn 50 this year!!
Feb 06, 2018, 07:51 PM
Edubarca
Coverite and HK ChinaKote are also excellent
Feb 06, 2018, 10:13 PM
I will miss Airspan and Litespan as well as Balsaloc.
I think the USA users will also miss Coverlite.

Just as well I recently converted to tissue over docalumm (mainly for reasons of wrinkling in the sun) .
Feb 07, 2018, 01:31 AM
I have used the German product Oracover, sold as Profilm in the UK, for many years mainly because it doesn't wrinkle in the sun and I understand that the film sold by HK is very good and better value for money. I'm told that the latest Solarfilm and the thicker film, Solarspan didn't exhibit the same wrinkling qualities.

However, I will miss Solartex. I have a 1/6 scale Roy Scott BE2e on the stocks and a DB Sport and Scale kit to build. I'd better get some Solartex in!
Feb 07, 2018, 02:37 AM
Film for model planes only is a too niche business to self sustain.

Oracover make big money from car covering film, tens colors rolls of hundred meters long in a car covering facility, 100x more than the whole models hobby.
Feb 07, 2018, 02:40 AM
It must have a machinegun
Solarfilm lite was/is my favourite covering. I don't think anyone else makes a covering like it.
Feb 07, 2018, 02:50 AM
coverite microlite, is said that comes from same source as solite

...or, try mylar, will change your mind.
http://www.modelresearchlabs.com/pri...new.html#mylar
https://www.freeflightsupplies.co.uk...ring-materials
Feb 07, 2018, 08:32 AM
So, presumably that's Microlite and Coverlite out of the window too since they came from the same manufacturer?
Living in wet and cloudy pommie land I liked their products, especially Litespan and Fibafilm.

Pete
Feb 07, 2018, 09:50 AM
AFAICS Coverite & Monokote are Hobbico products. Hobbico have filed for bankrutpcy protection so the choice of cover material might shrink (pun intended) wordwide.

Quick Reply