Hangar 9 Ultra Stick 10cc ARF 60"

The Ultra Stick 10cc ARF sports a 60" wingspan and the same classic lines the Ultra Stick is known for. This ARF is available for pre-order right now for $229.99 with shipments due in mid March.

Splash

The Legendary Ultra Stick Makes a Come Back

Every RC Nut has probably had a stick type plane at some point. They fly great and provide fun sport aerobatics in a simple easy to work on design. Hangar 9's Ultra Sticks have been around for as long as I can remember and now there is a new version coming out. The Ultra Stick 10cc ARF sports a 60" wingspan and the same classic lines the Ultra Stick is known for.

This one is designed to work with any power system type you want, be it electric, gas or glow. It's capable of 3D flight and some crazy maneuvers by utilizing the flaps in interesting mixes. You can also add on a float set for water take offs and landings. This ARF is available for pre-order right now for $229.99 with shipments due in mid March.

Check out the Hangar 9 Ultra Stick 10cc ARF Here

Feb 06, 2018, 04:23 PM
We shall serve the Lord
This shot from the Horizon site shows split ailerons deflected in Crow. Very Nice!

I thought I heard something about the four surface wing being the standard and the solid aileron wing as an option, but Horizon Customer Service only confirmed the solid ailerons. Not sure how this will shake out, but I LIKEEE!

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Feb 06, 2018, 06:03 PM
Ali Machinchy: Snr PD Hangar9
4 control surface wing is the standard. Single ailerons is the option. I had hoped to include both in each kit, but rising prices on the covering, the materials and the labor.. and the fact that factory wanted to charge a substantial amount for the single ailerons themselves meant that we would miss the $229.00 price point by some margin. So it was chosen to offer them as an option. Hope this helps?
Regards Ali
Feb 07, 2018, 12:02 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Ali, I saw the video where you discussed the various power plant options for the Ultra Stick 10cc. I was wondering if you tried the Saito FG-14C gas engine and what you thought about that engine for the US 10cc? I recently bought a Hangar 9 Katana 50 with a FG-14C and have really been impressed with the combination.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Feb 07, 2018, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Mach
4 control surface wing is the standard. Single ailerons is the option. I had hoped to include both in each kit, but rising prices on the covering, the materials and the labor.. and the fact that factory wanted to charge a substantial amount for the single ailerons themselves meant that we would miss the $229.00 price point by some margin. So it was chosen to offer them as an option. Hope this helps?
Regards Ali
Thanks I was wondering about that.
Feb 07, 2018, 11:35 AM
Ali Machinchy: Snr PD Hangar9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
Ali, I saw the video where you discussed the various power plant options for the Ultra Stick 10cc. I was wondering if you tried the Saito FG-14C gas engine and what you thought about that engine for the US 10cc? I recently bought a Hangar 9 Katana 50 with a FG-14C and have really been impressed with the combination.

McD
No, Sorry. I have yet to try anything other than the 3 power systems that we show ( Evo 10cc/ Power 46 and 52 and 60 / Saito 19cc Radial)

I am sure the Saito 14cc will be great. The Evo 10cc is my favorite power plant to date. I love the flight time and power to weight. The 14cc I expect to be similar, but sound allot cooler !

Regards Ali
Feb 10, 2018, 11:08 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
The Ultra Stick 40 was one of my favorite go-to models to toss in the car and head up to the field. I had it powered with a Saito .62. It was my move-up airplane after our trainer and had well over 200 flights on it before I sold it.

My son went to the Mini Ultra Stick after the trainer. He's grown up and works in Duluth, building SR-20 and 22 for Cirrus. I still fly his MUS.

This 10cc is tempting me. Mightily.

I do wish Horizon would offer an .SPM setup for quad flaps. Everyone tells me to simply use the sailplane programming. I had a Futaba 9C with quad flaps, full span ailerons and aileron/elevator mixing.
Mar 01, 2018, 07:25 PM
Club Saito | Genesis 8:11

Ultra Stick Captain (and The World of Tomorrow)

What i like most is... it comes with tall landing gear so a Four Stroke seems ideal. Four Strokes are known to turn taller propellers...

I don't care for Crow but Flaps are fun. Not necessary as one could program 'down Aileron.' Flaps will provide better slow speed handling.
Beware going too slow... keep some power on with Flaps. You know that & I bet she handles great

Keeping it at a low price is a good idea. It's a Stick

Nice big tail surfaces (vs the rounded surfaces of a competing Ugly Stick) are also ideal in this modern age

She looks clean & pretty with Electric motors. Awesome with a tall Four Stroke or multi-cylinder beast. I imagine a Saito FA-72 to FA-91S would be plenty of power to have fun, as far as Glow power goes.

This may also be a nice platform for those with Saito 1.00's lying around. I have seen quite a few used FA-100's on sale recently. If vibration seems an issue, consider those rubber vibration-reducing mounts.

Stick planes, with no cowling or side walls interfering with engine access, make great engine test platforms.
Those who are experimenting with Gas-to-Glow engine conversions may enjoy this plane.

I bet a few pilots add floats

(just some thoughts)
Last edited by Bunnyshooter223; Mar 02, 2018 at 12:24 AM. Reason: ultra edited. done editing.
Mar 21, 2018, 10:38 AM
The Ultra Stick 10cc is now and stock and shipping!
Mar 21, 2018, 06:54 PM

Hanger nine ARF 60 Size Ultra Stick

I am having trouble with Pitch Changes on my brand new Ultra Stick.
It is fitted with an Evo GX15 Petrol engine.
My problem is that it keeps changing Pitch, & wont fly straight & level.
I have over 25 years of model flying experience, but I can't sort this model out.
The Wing Incidence looks like it is in the range of 0- +1.5? Degrees, which doesn't seem enough?
Any suggestions on this problem.
Wayne Miller
Australia 5162
Last edited by KWMiller; Mar 21, 2018 at 06:56 PM. Reason: In-correct spelling
Mar 22, 2018, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyshooter223
What i like most is... it comes with tall landing gear so a Four Stroke seems ideal. Four Strokes are known to turn taller propellers...

I don't care for Crow but Flaps are fun. Not necessary as one could program 'down Aileron.' Flaps will provide better slow speed handling.
Beware going too slow... keep some power on with Flaps. You know that & I bet she handles great

Keeping it at a low price is a good idea. It's a Stick

Nice big tail surfaces (vs the rounded surfaces of a competing Ugly Stick) are also ideal in this modern age

She looks clean & pretty with Electric motors. Awesome with a tall Four Stroke or multi-cylinder beast. I imagine a Saito FA-72 to FA-91S would be plenty of power to have fun, as far as Glow power goes.

This may also be a nice platform for those with Saito 1.00's lying around. I have seen quite a few used FA-100's on sale recently. If vibration seems an issue, consider those rubber vibration-reducing mounts.

Stick planes, with no cowling or side walls interfering with engine access, make great engine test platforms.
Those who are experimenting with Gas-to-Glow engine conversions may enjoy this plane.

I bet a few pilots add floats

(just some thoughts)
I totally agree. Thinking about fitting a new Evolution 15cc in it and run it to break in and smooth out, then put said engine in a new P51B i built.
Mar 22, 2018, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWMiller
I am having trouble with Pitch Changes on my brand new Ultra Stick.
It is fitted with an Evo GX15 Petrol engine.
My problem is that it keeps changing Pitch, & wont fly straight & level.
I have over 25 years of model flying experience, but I can't sort this model out.
The Wing Incidence looks like it is in the range of 0- +1.5? Degrees, which doesn't seem enough?
Any suggestions on this problem.
Wayne Miller
Australia 5162
Are your servos centering well and holding?
Apr 08, 2018, 05:54 PM
I just purchased the Ultra Stick today, and they recommend a Power 52 for electric .
Are they referring to a E-Flite Power 52 ?
They also recommend a 12x6 propeller on the Stick, but the Power 52 motor only drops down to a recommended 12x8 as the smaller size ?

https://www.horizonhobby.com/power-5...90kv-eflm4052a
Apr 10, 2018, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltekdiver
I just purchased the Ultra Stick today, and they recommend a Power 52 for electric .
Are they referring to a E-Flite Power 52 ?
They also recommend a 12x6 propeller on the Stick, but the Power 52 motor only drops down to a recommended 12x8 as the smaller size ?

https://www.horizonhobby.com/power-5...90kv-eflm4052a
I asked Ali what props he used on the Power 52 and Power 60 and he replied with the following:

Power 52 = 14x8.5 APC

Power 60 = 15x8

I'm using the equivalent to Power 60 on my plane and it's rated at 400kv. With a 15x8 Zoar prop it was a dog. It would only pull about 750 watts and about 35 amps. I upped the timing on the motor to 32 degrees and that woke it up a bit. The watts went to about 900 and current draw was about 40 amps. The plane was better but still not what I expected. I installed a 16x10 prop, which was one of the one's recommended by the manufacturer, and that really woke the motor (and plane) up. Watts went to 1200 and the current draw went to 60 amps. I'm using a Hobbywing 100 amp V3 ESC so the 60 amp draw is no problem. All of those readings are static and were done using a Pulse 4100 6S 45C battery at full charge.

BTW, with this setup the plane came in at just a tick over 7 pounds.
Apr 10, 2018, 06:32 AM
So the lower KV motor gave you a bigger prop, and on 6S , however you weren't happy with the results.
They recommended 4S 12x6, however the motor they recommended, says to use a 12x8.

I bought the plane figuring the power combo was worked out but it sounds like it wasn't.

I thought a 12x6 prop was small for this size plane to begin with, however their video shows it hovering and full of power.

So the question becomes what set up were they using to make the video, or what motor / combo really works.

How much ground clearance did you have with those large of props?
Last edited by fltekdiver; Apr 10, 2018 at 08:56 AM.

Quick Reply