Are Spektrum releasing a new protocol??? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 05, 2018, 05:07 PM
Discussion

Are Spektrum releasing a new protocol???

Hi All!

Rumour has it that Horizon Hobby will be releasing a successor to their popular DSM2/DSMX protocol. The rumours from a recent tradeshow circuit are that the new protocol won't be backwards compatible. This will mean that the new protocol won't work with any of your current Spektrum goodies.
Clearly, this also comes as bad news for any RC enthusiasts that have invested heavily in keeping their fleet on the Spektrum protocol.

How do you guys feel about this? Do you think there could be some truth behind the rumours?

Read the full article here: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/news/are...a-new-protocol
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2018, 05:24 PM
the sky is falling!
Feb 05, 2018, 05:25 PM
It's also coming from Hobby King. Not exactly a reputable source for rumours involving competitors, and of course, not exactly disinterested in spreading misinformation.
Feb 05, 2018, 05:35 PM
The most important device used on DSM2/X is discontinued.
So HH/Spk must migrate to all new protocol. It should not have any backward compatibility.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6-discontinued

Although this is only my intuition, they may use AT86RF23x from Microchip.
Last edited by hayataro; Feb 05, 2018 at 05:54 PM.
Feb 05, 2018, 05:52 PM
Last edited by AndyKunz; Feb 05, 2018 at 07:53 PM.
Feb 05, 2018, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
No it isn't, at least for us

Andy
Okay I believe your devices are okay, but 3rd party/ compatibles will die.
Feb 05, 2018, 06:01 PM
THREE CHEERS!!!!!! TWENTY-ONE GUN SALUTE!!! I'm not crying one bit.

I'm all in for them to stop stealing from us.

Andy
Feb 05, 2018, 06:38 PM
Just like HK couldn't make a Orange rx that worked for Airtronics. Most of been a tough one to copy
Feb 05, 2018, 06:40 PM
But I don't use Spekjunk so I have no worries
Feb 05, 2018, 08:57 PM
Converting O2 to CO2
I think everyone is just jelly of the iX12 that pretty much made every other available radio obsolete.
Feb 05, 2018, 09:31 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ
I think everyone is just jelly of the iX12 that pretty much made every other available radio obsolete.
My bet is that this is FUD from HK to try and drive sales of the new TX-6i

Does Spektrum have another protocol in development? Yeah, probably. I bet Futaba, Jeti, Graupner and FrSKy all do too. Long lead time on major engineering changes and everybody has some development going on under the lid that may or may not come to fruition.
Feb 05, 2018, 10:08 PM
Converting O2 to CO2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
My bet is that this is FUD from HK to try and drive sales of the new TX-6i

Does Spektrum have another protocol in development? Yeah, probably. I bet Futaba, Jeti, Graupner and FrSKy all do too. Long lead time on major engineering changes and everybody has some development going on under the lid that may or may not come to fruition.
Agreed! Besides, Spek/HH is probably at least thinking about a 900mHz'ish long-range protocol as well. And these days there's really no reason not to release a radio with multiple protocols.
Feb 05, 2018, 10:15 PM
Seriously, there are people still flying on FM. Who cares if something is new, it's not like you can't keep using your tried-and-true existing gear.
Feb 05, 2018, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ
That's pretty funny.
Feb 05, 2018, 11:11 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
There's no argument I can think of for a new protocol. DSMX does 2048 and 11mS and a pissload of channels and if you think that faster frame rates with higher resolution will make you a better flier, you're fooling yourself. Like audiophiles who pay $1000s for 0.0001% THD amplifiers when the human ear can't hear better than about 0.3%. DSMX is already better than the human in the control loop, there's no point in making it any better.

What I could see Horizon doing is coming out with a long-range system. Not a replacement but an enhancement. Of course it wouldn't work with the stuff you have now, but that would mean nothing to the stuff you have now or would get in the future. Different system for a different purpose. Maybe something that piggybacks on to the ix12 and connects to that fancy serial port that's back there... something that isn't 3rd party but Horizon "native"...

Quick Reply