Sep 13, 2019, 08:10 PM
Ahh .. ok I see what you mean now.

Bob is using the GR-24 receiver.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2019, 10:02 PM
EDF all the way!
Yes I'm using a GR-24 receiver, 2S LiFe pack and 12S LiPo pack. When I connect to ESC I get white LED light but no arming tones. Only two wires go from ESC to receiver, signal and ground. It looks like I'm the 1st to try a Graupner receiver with this ESC.
Bob
Sep 14, 2019, 12:15 AM
I am a bit stumped by this.

First time I have seen an ESC not working the way you describe with our systems.

Setting aside the issues you are having how is are the FET's being cooled? Did not notice any sizeable heat sink.
Sep 14, 2019, 05:54 AM
APD is extremely adamant about there being a good ground; perhaps the internal design of the Graupner receiver is not providing a ground where the APD expects it to be?

I am thinking along the lines of a ground plane isolation or perhaps a lack of.
Last edited by Lufo; Sep 14, 2019 at 06:02 AM. Reason: clarity
Sep 14, 2019, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff
Yes I'm using a GR-24 receiver, 2S LiFe pack and 12S LiPo pack. When I connect to ESC I get white LED light but no arming tones. Only two wires go from ESC to receiver, signal and ground. It looks like I'm the 1st to try a Graupner receiver with this ESC.
Bob
In case you continue having problems:

A few more questions / thoughts in reference to your challenges. I go back to basics in a case like this, so please don’t mind my questions. We all have overlooked basic steps at times.
- Would you be able to provide a link or post a copy of the instruction manual? I know there is a link to a copy of the lower rated units, or is it the same manual? Not much/any information is provided about issues during the arming process.

- The Manual states to use twisted wires for Signal and Ground for best noise performance. Not sure if that could be enough during setup time.

- Verify Signal line wiring, polarity and pins used.

- Did you verify your Throttle output. The default transmitter setting of -100 to +100 results in 1100us to 1900us respectively. Just making sure that your signal is within range and also that it is not reversed.

- I would do this next if you have a servo tester. Eliminate the receiver variable all together and connect the tester. Go between/simulate the PWM 2 arming settings and see if the ESC arms.
Sep 14, 2019, 11:31 AM
EDF all the way!
Could not get servo tester to work.
Bob
Sep 14, 2019, 11:33 AM
Bob...I saw a post on another thread/site that folks have not be able to use a servo tester to arm the ESC.

There were also some comments about which firmware and if an F5B firmware. I think though that your 200 came with the latest firmware.
Sep 14, 2019, 11:43 AM
EDF all the way!
The 200 is new, could not find a manual for it online, one was not supplied. The throttle range was given to me when I first questioned them about not being able to arm. Got notice it has been shipped back to me. They were able to run it but with their equipment. Unable to test it with a Graupner receiver. We will see if there fix will work.
Bob
Sep 14, 2019, 04:33 PM
Sounds good Bob. I thought some more about this challenge and have additional ideas about possible causes. However, I will hold off until we hear back from you.
Hopefully they corrected the problem.
Sep 14, 2019, 05:41 PM
EDF all the way!
Let's hope.
Bob
Sep 19, 2019, 07:46 AM
Some "Optimized operational safety and instructions" from Graupner....

https://www.graupner.com/media/archi...z-16_mz-32.zip
Sep 21, 2019, 01:01 AM
EDF all the way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrag
Sounds good Bob. I thought some more about this challenge and have additional ideas about possible causes. However, I will hold off until we hear back from you.
Hopefully they corrected the problem.

Got it back. Made the jumper with the resistor they supplied. Verify throttle is 1220uS low and 2000uS high. plugged everything in and nothing happened. LED light came on but no tones. remove the ESC and installed a CC160 ESC plugged everything in and guess what. It fired right up, got tones the moved throttle and motor ran. Going to contact vendor again and let him know what is going on.
Bob
Sep 21, 2019, 01:03 AM
cogito ergo zoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff
Got it back. Made the jumper with the resistor they supplied. Verify throttle is 1220uS low and 2000uS high. plugged everything in and nothing happened. LED light came on but no tones. remove the ESC and installed a CC160 ESC plugged everything in and guess what. It fired right up, got tones the moved throttle and motor ran. Going to contact vendor again and let him know what is going on.
Bob
So to be clear; its not a receiver issue - correct?
Sep 21, 2019, 09:39 AM
EDF all the way!
It worked with the CC 160 and the same fan/motor, but not the ADP 200 ESC.
Bob
Sep 21, 2019, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallax
So to be clear; its not a receiver issue - correct?
Debatable; depends on where one stands...Graupner side or ADP side.

The ADP ESC seems to work with other receivers without any issues and the know exception being the Graupner.

Graupner works with other brands of ESC but not the ADP.

Which device is at fault? Graupner and ADP need get together on this quickly and figure out the problem.

My view at the moment is the Graupner receiver is not handling a ground properly in their receiver. Maybe I am wrong.

@Bruff .... hook the ADP back up to the GR-24 and take a second ground wire from another channel on the GR-24 and take it to the ESC or an external ground. ADP is adamant about there must be a good ground. Maybe grasping at straws but it is worth a try and if it does not work then you have one less thing to look at and ADP and one more thing to give to ADP.

You could also reverse the channel and change the endpoints in the receiver, if you have not already done so. You are getting power but the ESC is not liking a value it is sensing from the receiver. Weak ground or no ground return from receiver, programming option perhaps.

Quick Reply