Feb 05, 2018, 07:10 AM
'n boer maak 'n plan
Thread OP
Discussion

MZ-32 Features and questions

I started to ask some questions about the new MZ-32 and it would make sense to have one place to capture all the information.
First, the specs can be found here so I am not going to list all of that but rather focus on things that are not obvious or just comment on some of the features.

So here we go:

RF and antenna:
Redundant dual 2.4GHz RF modules
Circular polarized patch antenna with adjustable beam angle
This will increase range but most likely mean you need to face the aircraft for optimum connectivity - long range?

Screen:
4.3" capacitive touch screen (TFT)
Still need to see how well it holds up in direct sunlight.

Charging:
USB cable connected to a USB charger. The larger capacity charger the faster the radio charges. Not clear If one is provided with radio.
There is now a LED indicator around the power switch to indicate charging state.

Switches:
- They are better spaced than the ones on MZ24.
- There is only one two position switch all others are 3 position with ones on left side (US) having spring return and right side is normal.
- Switches are soldered so cannot be easily moved but not sure why you would want to. Replacing broken switch is a pain though.
- MZ 24 Pro switch levels are fixed at -100, 0 +100 but with MZ-32 you can set the three positions of a switch to any desired level now.
- Switches and functions as Mix inputs: The MZ 32 allows you to choose a switch or function (like elevator or flaps) in the Mix fields
- Both flaps move with one Mix but with MZ-32 you can move both flaps or both ailerons in the same direction with one mix - This is done in the dual mixer menu which is basically a cross mixer
-You can move full functions to other channels. Throttle, for example. On MZ 24 Pro you can move a channel to a different output but not entire functions but on MZ-32 functions (like ailerons, elevators, flaps, etc) can be moved.
- Want to setup a method that during power up or when switching models the 32 checks pre-flight switch positions? Sure you can:
In system notifications: Check all the way on the bottom for the "Start Switch Position" item. Set your switches at their startup position and tap on the store button and activate the notice for this notification.

Manual and videos:

I have some howto video's on my Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZu...eiJ4uBhYBNlvZw

Firmware:
Updatable via WiFi - once connected to a valid internet connection the system will allow the download and installation of new firmware.
Make sure to have fully charge battery of course as the radio will not let you update if it is below a certain level.

Widgets:
You can create your own screens focused on what you are flying and the telemetry sensors you have installed using a predefined set of widgets.
Would we be able to create our own widgets in the future??

Haptic Feedback:
Can be enabled for alarms and timers.
When a timer setting is reached you can feel it and or hear the warning.

Manual: (not the final version) https://www.graupner.com/media/pdf/e...N_20180206.pdf

More to come.
Last edited by yufasa; Jan 13, 2019 at 03:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2018, 07:44 AM
Can’t wait to get my hands on one at the AMA East show! First table I’m going too!!
Feb 05, 2018, 08:06 AM
'n boer maak 'n plan
Thread OP
very exited to get this in my hands. Maybe it is time for me to go to the AMA East show
Feb 05, 2018, 10:04 AM
The interface looks friendlier, and well organized.

Feb 05, 2018, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yufasa
Firmware:
Updatable via WiFi - still waiting on more information on the mechanism
There's a screen where you can select your network and enter your encryption passphrase, upon which the radio connects to your network as a client. From there, it's just a few taps to start the update. I can't go into any more detail because the firmware is still under development and may change.
Feb 05, 2018, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Firmware:
Updatable via WiFi - once connected to a valid internet connection the system will allow the download and installation of new firmware.
Make sure to have fully charge battery of course...
The radio won't let you update firmware over WiFi if the battery is below a certain level.
Feb 05, 2018, 10:56 PM
Quote:
very exited to get this in my hands. Maybe it is time for me to go to the AMA East show
I will be there on Friday!
Feb 06, 2018, 07:54 AM
32.4316° N, 80.6698° W
Can one be preordered?
Feb 06, 2018, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark426
Can one be preordered?
Pre-orders are not typical for Graupner USA, but there is a "Put Me on the Waiting List" button on the product page. Fill in the requested info and you'll get email when they come in stock.
Feb 06, 2018, 11:52 AM
The best way is to place yourself on the waiting list.

We expect to start shipping by mid March.
Feb 06, 2018, 04:50 PM
I think Graupner should get some intel on the new Spektrum IX12 and do a side by side comparison and make an ad campaign about it!!
Feb 06, 2018, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtraflyr
I think Graupner should get some intel on the new Spektrum IX12 and do a side by side comparison and make an ad campaign about it!!
I disagree. I admire Graupner for taking the high road, extolling the features of their products rather than getting into a mud slinging contest. Comparisons like the one you propose are best left to media outlets. Besides, having one of the affected parties doing the comparisons leads to all sorts of spin doctoring in favor of that party.
Feb 06, 2018, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum
I disagree. I admire Graupner for taking the high road, extolling the features of their products rather than getting into a mud slinging contest. Comparisons like the one you propose are best left to media outlets. Besides, having one of the affected parties doing the comparisons leads to all sorts of spin doctoring in favor of that party.
Agree. I fly multiple brands and pretty much down to Graupner and Spektrum. Both competent products with each having some unique features.
Feb 06, 2018, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum
Yeah you have a point there Bum!! I didnt think about those points.
Their radios and telemetry sensors speak for themselves. Ha!! See what I did there? Speak for themselves,telemetry,get it? Haha! Oh damn I must be tired? 🤦🏻‍♂️
I’m also glad they kept it unde $1k. That’s a lot of radio at that price point.

Quick Reply