Nov 25, 2004, 11:57 PM
Fly a LiL' Lower Will Ya!
Thread OP

The SoarStar Foamy from Super Flying Models

I decided to build a SoarStar when I watched some guys at my local field experience flight times not unlike 2 meter gliders. Up to that time I had been considering a glider for something to do when my batteries where charging for my other planes.

After seeing the SoarStar, I decided to get one of these instead because this could also serve as a trainer for my Daughters. (and that angle allowed me to get the idea past my wife ).

The kit came very complete. All you need to add is the receiver and servos. It even comes with a battery and charger. (all though this is only a nicad set up). The engine is a speed 400 with a 1.5:1 gear box installed.

I think I will like it very much for what I intend to do with it. I hope to maiden it tomorrow morning.

Mike
to remove ads between posts
Nov 25, 2004, 11:59 PM
Thread OP
The ARF kit took 2 evenings to build. But Ariel and I were very committed. We worked each night until about 1am. I would guess you could spend 4 nights doing average work times.
Nov 26, 2004, 12:02 AM
Thread OP

The Doctor Seuss Look

The finished product looks like something out of a Doctor Seuss Book. The "Elvis" pilot was something Ariel found on the School bus.
Nov 26, 2004, 12:07 AM
Thread OP
The plane comes with battery, ESC and charger for NiCads. There is ample room under the seat to store all Electronics

The plane is a 3 channel flyer. I wanted to put ailerons on it, but did not see a way or even a need.

Every thing seems to go together well.

The motor is held on by rubber bands. When I powered it up for the first time, it twisted in the mount just slightly. I glued a stick on the side of the can and this prevented the torque twist.
Nov 26, 2004, 12:09 AM
Thread OP
I will maiden tomorrow and Hope to give a full report with pics. If I can get her out of bed, Ariel will take the controls and fly for the first time.

The cost of the SoarStar was $100. I got it from a local garage dealer. The cost in most shops and web sites is a little higher.
Nov 26, 2004, 12:16 AM
BANNED!!!
not a bad plane... its a knockoff of the wingo. For what you want to do its a very good choice... Now if you were a beginning flier, I would have some other comments...
Nov 26, 2004, 12:20 AM
Just one more plane!
Good luck with it! Tell Ariel the pilot she found is way cool!

You guys have a great day!

John
Nov 26, 2004, 12:30 AM
Thread OP
soholingo,

I am about as "beginning" as they get. I started flying 5 weekends ago.

Mike
Nov 26, 2004, 02:25 AM
BANNED!!!
Well its too late now, but you should have gotten a slow stick... Its cheaper, slower, and more crash resistant. Not wishing you bad luck but you will end up with a pile of blue crumbles... you can epoxy it back together but having flown the wingo and the slowstick, the slowstick is the better of the two planes....

FWIW, the soarstar got me into this hobby. A friend of mine had one, and while it didn't fly, it let me know that you could fly rc planes, and I was hooked.
Nov 26, 2004, 03:05 AM
Wingo/Soarstar my favorite and best flying planes in the world
Nov 27, 2004, 12:52 AM
Thread OP

Maiden in Wind just under 10

Well the plane went up and flew very well. But a pic is worth a thousand, so let me stop chatting and get on to the shots.

Elvis is ready and braced for his maiden.
Nov 27, 2004, 12:53 AM
Thread OP
My Emily and Gene our trainer are intense on the flight:
Nov 27, 2004, 12:54 AM
Thread OP
Elvis on approach prepares to bring her down for beautiful touch landing:
Nov 27, 2004, 01:10 AM
Just one more plane!
Very Nice Job! Emily is getting hooked! You can see it in her face! HeHe!
Nov 27, 2004, 02:00 AM
BANNED!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm1
My Emily and Gene our trainer are intense on the flight:
[tasteless comment deleted by moderator]
Last edited by Steve Nolan (eBird); Nov 27, 2004 at 01:26 PM.

Quick Reply