Mike Furcolow Memorial Fun Fly - Page 4 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by Dragon 2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 20, 2018, 10:17 AM
chronic in training
So sorry to hear this. I did not know Mike but always enjoyed his posts , his attitude and he answering of any questions I might have had. He did it right. He will be missed.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2018, 10:26 AM
Mike put together some beautiful airplanes and I always enjoyed reading his posts. It seems that he was a great pilot too. Sad to hear of his passing..
Last edited by OG JGAF; Mar 20, 2018 at 10:09 PM.
Apr 04, 2018, 09:12 PM
Morologus es
Me too - Mike used to do some insane stuff with his Typhoon.

Doc.
Apr 05, 2018, 09:09 PM
formerly Juddkleinman
Hi all. Here is little update on the events we are planning to celebrate Mike at the Furcolow Fun Fly the weekend of May 4, 5 and 6.

Friday at Garvin:
First up will be some steller alpine soaring on Friday at Garvin and/or 2.0. If you have never flown their please PM me for direction. We are going to fly a Swift that afternoon that Mike had been working on this winter. It was a new (to him) plane that he was excited to fly this spring and I think he would like it if it got some air time. We can camp up there that night and , if it's not too dry, make a campfire and tell some Mike tales.

Saturday At Big Mesa:
Will start with our usual day of flying at Big Mesa. Those that make it to Garvin on Friday should be up there by mid morning. We are counting on Mike to bring us some good wind this year!! Following flying we are going to host a BBQ up there. Again if you do not know the spot please PM one of us. We will provide Burgers and Brats and we ask the everyone bring a side to contribute and of course your favorite adult beverage. In order to provide this we want to make sure we have a good head count so if you are coming, and have not done so already, please add your name to the list at the start of this thread. We will take a final head count a few days out as well. Besides the feast we are going to hold the Mike Furcolow Film Fest, highlighting some of our favorite Furcolow produced flying films. Any other way you want to honor Mike that night is more than welcome!

Sunday at Smith Mountain:
Last but certainly not least, If you can stick around for Sunday, we will head down to Smith Mountain, assuming a good south wind, and fly Mike's favorite spot. Mike would like to see as many fast ships as possible whistling through the air that day!

We are looking forward to great gathering to honor Mike's life and have a great time flying!
Last edited by Mountain Soarer; Apr 06, 2018 at 10:24 AM.
Apr 05, 2018, 09:40 PM
Just For The Fun Of It
Sounds perfect, Judd. As in the past, I'll probably come over a day or two early for some pre-event flyin' and plan to trailer camp up at Garvin or 2.0. Do you have any idea if David S will let us continue to use the barn and "poach" electricity from him house?

I hope that's an early picture of the pilots' lounge, as I don't seem the plaque to Mike.

... Greg
Apr 05, 2018, 09:50 PM
formerly Juddkleinman
Yes, old photo of mikes. I am going to see David this weekend.
Apr 05, 2018, 11:13 PM
I’ll come up early as well........and hope the “hangar” is available for me to practice. My most fave practice room ever!
Apr 05, 2018, 11:32 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Judd in your post it sounds like the BBQ at G. I thought we were going to have it at Big mesa??
Apr 06, 2018, 08:32 AM
formerly Juddkleinman
I’ll edit that to make it a bit clearer but each paragraph is a day and a location.
Friday- Garvin
Saturday- Big Mesa and BBQ
Sunday- Smith Mountain
Apr 06, 2018, 09:42 AM
Boulder Sloper
I'm planning to come over early. Maybe fly Flattop.
Apr 06, 2018, 09:53 AM
Just For The Fun Of It
Phil: Several of us usually head over early and camp at Mike Furcolow's "home slope" - Garvin. It's right above Paonia. So, consider that. Of course, we fly whatever's available.

BTW... You might consider changing your photo.
Apr 06, 2018, 12:59 PM
Boulder Sloper
That picture was taken from the Montrose Airport during the 2005 Western Colorado Slope Challenge.
That's about the time I started building big warbirds
Apr 06, 2018, 01:05 PM
formerly Juddkleinman
While I'd rather own your new sprinter the VW has much more sole! keep that photo. The small thumbnail and your penchant for big war birds had me fooled for a minute for sure. Despite the fact that I know that A-7 form the Montrose airport well!
Apr 06, 2018, 01:09 PM
I may come over as early as Wed. night and I've got Sunday off this year so will leave on Monday. I can't wait!
Apr 06, 2018, 01:13 PM
Just For The Fun Of It
I'm thinking I'll potentially drive over Tues, and if we can still camp at Garvin, be there 'til Friday am. Then migrate to wherever folks are camping. Returning to Boulder either Sunday or Monday.

... Greg

Quick Reply