Feb 03, 2018, 01:31 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hi guys. New to drones, a few questions

Hello, I recently bought a skyviper 2450 hd, fpv. No gps. Great beginner drone, horrible quality I believe though. Upon the first 8 seconds of flight, one of the motors burnt up. Exchanged it for another one, also bought two 1200mah batteries. Flew it long enough to stabilize with trim, switched to fresh battery and flew it up. It got about 50ft up, lost connection and wind took it into a tree. Anyways I got it back flew it for a day, now it won't leave the ground, and then one motor shut down and won't work. Are these quads really this bad of quality, I mean i realize it's 80 bucks, but I'm more frustrated with it than anything. Can someone please explain what motors are in these, where to find replacements online, or even upgraded ones? Also, if someone has an informative page about the radio/frequency workings of these things I would love to learn and understand exactly how these operate, and I would like to customize mine. Thank you fir your time !
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2018, 04:08 PM
Your quad has brushed motors, and while in general they don't last as long as brushless motors, they shouldn't die so quickly either. Nonetheless, they're easy enough to replace. You just need to know the dimensions and the voltage they operate at, and you can usually find replacements with that info. You can find hopped-up motors at places like micro motor warehouse, or just search Ebay or other sites for generic replacements (or replacements from more popular compatible quads). For general info, here's a place to look: https://oscarliang.com/
Feb 03, 2018, 07:23 PM
Thread OP

Hi guys. New to drones, a few questions

Thanks for the response bub. Yes, I confirmed tonight it burnt another motor up. One won't turn on on its own, but if you "kick start" the prop, it will run, but won't fly. This is the second motor burnt up in less than 30 mins of fly time. It didn't get wet, and ive had a few crashes which were very light, basically scrapes.....definitely not hard enough to damage it. At least these parts are somewhat cheap lol, I'm thinking about building my own drone from scratch. I'm very mechanically inclined, not intimidated and anxious. Saw a carbon fiber frame and now i'm hooked on building one now. But that's in the future. I even pulled all pinion gears off the drive shafts and glued them to the shaft to ensure the shafts weren't spinning inside the gear, and they aren't. I'm stumped just gonna buy new motors I guess, these I think are 14,000....I'm thinking 17,000 replacements
Sep 20, 2018, 10:49 PM
Sawdstmakr

Skyviper 2450 hd, fpv, have to reset controls to stabilize every time

Hello all, I'm new to drones with this a skyviper 2450 hd, I have to adjust the controls every time I turn it on. By the time I get it stabilized, the battery is almost dead. How do I save the settings?
Jim
Sep 21, 2018, 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdstmakr
Hello all, I'm new to drones with this a skyviper 2450 hd, I have to adjust the controls every time I turn it on. By the time I get it stabilized, the battery is almost dead. How do I save the settings?
Jim
Is that with wind? Trimming in windy conditions is no use as the moment you turn your quad around it'll accelerate WITH the wind. Trim it in windless conditions (maybe even indoor/carefully/if you got ample room)
Sep 21, 2018, 10:24 AM
Sawdstmakr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelpeter
Is that with wind? Trimming in windy conditions is no use as the moment you turn your quad around it'll accelerate WITH the wind. Trim it in windless conditions (maybe even indoor/carefully/if you got ample room)
Thanks for the reply.
No that is with it indoors. When I first used it, it was pretty stable outside. Then I started having to trim it. Yesterday I tried trimming it in my living room with it sliding around on the ground to save battery. By the time I get it trimmed, the battery is dead. I know there are adjustments at 192.168.99.1 but it all looks Greek to me. I'm hoping there is someone who knows which adjustments need to be changed on the card and which way to change them for Forward/backward-rotate left /right and left and right.
I did check to make sure the battery was centered because I know it will unbalance it to go backwards if it is not in all the way.
Jim
Sep 21, 2018, 12:51 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
No that is with it indoors. When I first used it, it was pretty stable outside. Then I started having to trim it. Yesterday I tried trimming it in my living room with it sliding around on the ground to save battery. By the time I get it trimmed, the battery is dead. I know there are adjustments at 192.168.99.1 but it all looks Greek to me. I'm hoping there is someone who knows which adjustments need to be changed on the card and which way to change them for Forward/backward-rotate left /right and left and right.
I did check to make sure the battery was centered because I know it will unbalance it to go backwards if it is not in all the way.
Jim
First and foremost that is your first mistake on trimming, you have to have it up about 2 foot to get out of prop wash/ground effect, better yet get it to chest height and trim it. Other than that you are going to be chasing around your own mistakes in trimming honestly. To Trim faster and save battery, pop it up and input no sticks and view it... if it slides to the right and back let it land and input ONE and only ONE trim at a time, back for instance..input that trim and pop it up and observe again..once it stops drifting back, then adjust the other trim in the same way.

After a bit of practice you will learn to put it up and hold it hovered with stick input and trim in flight in a few seconds, these things take time to learn and that is what most of us did to move up to bigger aircraft (Well the smarter ones did ). Of note it will always have drift, even with no wind....and with that as the battery gets lower it will go out of trim again....just how they work it's never going to hold a stable hover. IF you don't want drift, the get a VPS or GPS equipped aircraft later down the road, that in itself comes at a price, so learn with what you have now and move up once you master.
Last edited by Repaid1; Sep 21, 2018 at 01:02 PM.
Sep 21, 2018, 05:35 PM
Sawdstmakr
Thanks Repaid1. I will try the things you mentioned.
Jim
Sep 21, 2018, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Thanks Repaid1. I will try the things you mentioned.
Jim
No problem mate, practice, practice, practice. Battery after battery till you can control it away from you, facing you, and to either side....It is then that you can begin to actually try to start to fly it
Sep 22, 2018, 08:43 AM
Sawdstmakr
Thanks. Are the 4 and 5 pack batteries with the charger, on Amazon, that cost around $20. good batteries. If which one do you recommend.
Jim
Sep 22, 2018, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Thanks. Are the 4 and 5 pack batteries with the charger, on Amazon, that cost around $20. good batteries. If which one do you recommend.
Jim
Well I am not gonna say batteries are batteries, but in this instance for right now just get whatever, you can always return if you don't like them.

Not sure of your battery knowledge, but those batteries don't like to be fully charged and then stored for more than a day or two. SO best to charge them up before you fly and go through them. If you do it right and allow one to cool after flight while flying another, you could get the cycles of flying, cooling, and charging down and be flying all day

Edit: Don't forget to let the motors cool a bit though after say, two batts BTW RCG has a forum just for you: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2450GPS-owners
or
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-for-about-150
Last edited by Repaid1; Sep 22, 2018 at 12:40 PM.

Quick Reply