NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)
Thread OP
Discussion

SVSS Spring Fling TD + Fri F5J Apr 20-22

Name: SVSS-Spring-Fling-Logo-250px.png
Views: 34
Size: 26.7 KB
Description:
Sacramento Valley Soaring Society (www.svss.org) is excited to announce the SVSS Spring Fling for 2018. This is our 27th annual two-day thermal duration contest held in Davis California (near Sacramento). It spans three days of fun: April 20 through 22. The field will be open and winches available on Friday for fun flying and practice except for a 3-4 hour window for the F5J contest starting at 11:00. TD contest days are Saturday Apr 21 and Sunday Apr 22. On both days, the pilot’s meeting is at 8:30 and flying starts immediately afterwards. Both the TD and F5J events are AMA-sanctioned.

Classes - The classes offered are: Unlimited, RES, and ALES-TD. Woody class sailplanes are welcome but will fly in their span/function class. There are no sub-classes by age. All electric launch planes must have limiters set to 150 meters and will be integrated into the overall flight order matrix. They will launch in sequence similar to all other classes and will use the same graduated landing tape as the other classes.

Entries - You may enter in one or two classes. Fee schedule: $50 one class both days, $75 two classes both days. Single day entry: $25 per class. AMA membership is required. Sign-ups here: http://www.svss.org/spring-fling.html Pilots list is here. Deadline for entries is Friday Apr 20 @ Noon.

Frequency Control - 2.4 GHz is encouraged. Entry on 72 MHz is limited to 2 entries per frequency, no exceptions without permission of the CD. There will be no transmitter impound.

Tasks and Times - Thermal Duration, 5 minute first flight, 10 minutes thereafter. Pilots meeting at 8:30 AM Saturday and Sunday, first flight immediately thereafter. The round in effect at 4:00 PM Saturday and 2:00 PM Sunday will be the last round of the day.

Landings - 25' graduated 100 point landing tape for all classes. There will be no safety line so it will be up to the pilot/timer to stand where they prefer as long as it does not interfere with an adjacent landing lane.

Smartphone scoring will be used - This contest will use GliderScore and Smartphone scoring. This will enable each pilot to use their own phone to directly enter their round-by-round scores. This will also allow pilots to view the standings in real time throughout the contest. If you have a smartphone be sure to install a QR Code scanner (many available free for iPhones and Android) before you get to the field; you will use this to scan your score card and get to your personal scoring screen. If you do not have a smartphone you can either have your timing partner enter scores for you, or you can use one of our community laptops for scores entry.

Awards - Trophies will be awarded as follows; 1st - 5th place in Unlimited, 1st - 3rd in RES and 1st - 3rd in ALES-TD. The trophies will be awarded based on the best combined 2-day scores.

Lodging - There are many motels and hotels nearby. The closest is Motel 6 at I-80 and Mace Blvd. 530-753-3777. Dry camping is permitted at the field. No hookups. No fires except in our built-in BBQ. The entrance gate is locked between sunrise and sunset. If you are going to stay at the field plan accordingly.

Food - Lunch will be provided for $5 each day (Sat and Sun, payable at the field) and will include a variety of sandwiches, chips, and cold drinks. Water will be provided both days.

Officials - CD- Sandy Smith 530-367-6583. Event Coordinator - Bill Curry 925-838-1998

Name: F5J-USA-Logo-150px.png
Views: 45
Size: 11.4 KB
Description:
F5J USA Tour Event - We will host a separate F5J event on Friday, Apr 20. This will be a full F5J USA Tour event. The fee for this event is $25 to be paid at the field upon registration. Registration is 10:30 - 11:00. Pilot's meeting at 11:00 and first round immediately following. If fewer than 16 pilots participate then per Tour rules the scores will be reduced by 10% before being posted as a season score.

Friday, Apr 20 - Open Flying - The field will be open for practice except during the F5J event.

Hope to see you there!
Last edited by SoaringDude; Apr 15, 2018 at 10:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2018, 11:39 AM
Looking forward to it!
Feb 09, 2018, 12:45 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for your entry Bob!
Mar 08, 2018, 11:21 AM
Thread OP
6 weeks to go. Signups will be ramping up soon. If you plan on staying in a local motel be aware that the nearby University of Davis is having their annual Picnic Day on Saturday Apr 21 which means motel rooms will soon get harder to find. Sooner is better to lock in a room.

Chris
Mar 10, 2018, 01:08 AM
Thread OP

SoaringUSA Gift Certificates

Name: susa-logo-313px.gif
Views: 21
Size: 4.0 KB
Description:

Great news! Once again SoaringUSA will be providing SVSS with gift certificates redeemable at SUSA for the following winners:

Unlimited Class - The top 2-day pilot will get a $500 certificate if they are flying an Xplorer plane (made by NAN); otherwise the unlimited winner will get a $100 certificate if they are flying any other plane.

RES and ALES-TD classes - The top 2-day pilot in each of these classes will get a $25 certificate.

Thank you to Bob, Alex, and the crew at SUSA for this generous donation. Also thanks to Ed Stewart for bring the certificates up to us.
Mar 21, 2018, 10:13 PM
F5j -F3j-F3F - What to Fly?
Hey, This is happening earlier in the year. Last year it was in the summer when it was a lot warmer. Time to get my entry sent in for the event.
Mar 30, 2018, 10:05 AM
Thread OP
3 weeks to go. Our field is a beautiful green and nicely mowed. All we need is more pilots!

If you are an F5J guy you can not only fly in the Friday F5J but also in the 2-day TD as an electric in the ALES-TD class. This year should be pretty competitive in that class with so many lighter planes. I'll be flying mine!

Chris
Apr 04, 2018, 11:20 AM
getting close can not wait!
Apr 06, 2018, 03:58 PM
Thread OP
Okay guys 2 weeks to go. If you plan to come now is a good time to sign up and reserve your spot. I have my eye on that $500 certificate from SUSA. Practice practice practice...
Apr 06, 2018, 05:13 PM
Might SVSS reconsider this date change for next year? Looks like it did not do attendance any good.

Tom
Apr 06, 2018, 05:29 PM
Thread OP
Tom, it looks like we will end up at about the same # of pilots counting those we know are coming. We did a decent sized poll and the weekend we are using is the one that got the most votes. Can't please everyone! One thing for sure: it will not be as hot!
Apr 07, 2018, 10:29 AM
Thread OP

Signups Deadline: Fri Apr 20 12 noon

Just a heads up that we will be ending registration on Fri April 20 at 12 noon. This is so we have time to enter pilots into the scoring system and to print nametags and score cards.

Also, regarding the Saturday BBQ, if you want that option you need to sign up for it no later than April 10. As of this post it does not appear that we will have the minimum 20 required to make this catered dinner fly. Sorry if that is the case.

Any questions let me know.

Chris
Apr 11, 2018, 06:22 PM
Chris, I just signed up and paid for 2 classes but I forgot to mark ALES, I think only signed up for unlimited. Could you put me down for both please?

Cheers
Apr 11, 2018, 06:29 PM
Thread OP
Okay Ali I got you marked for both. Looks like the ALES-TD class is going to be pretty interesting with all the ultralights.

Can you come Friday for F5J?
Apr 11, 2018, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringDude
Okay Ali I got you marked for both. Looks like the ALES-TD class is going to be pretty interesting with all the ultralights.

Can you come Friday for F5J?
Yes I'm planning on it.

Quick Reply