Feb 21, 2018, 04:21 PM
BFMAC Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
We have been saying that "within the programming', is not a general requirement. And that it depends on what program. The one that matters most is general membership.

That said I don't think it should be just AMA part 101 or FAA part 107. The FAA has the power to put out rules for those that are not AMA members but do not fly commercially.
They have it, AC91-57. Anything in AMA SC that is relevant to safety in the NAS was lifted from that advisory nearly verbatim. Unfortunately it has been revised, and for some weird reason it now includes some of the CBO crap from Sec 338. It should be easy enough to take it back out after "within the programming of," the CBO language or Sec 338 in toto is scrapped by Congress. AMA won't be sneaking it into the FAA Re-authorization bill this time. They are being watched.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2018, 04:31 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_m
WRONG.

Those were emails from the FAA, and per FAA's email policy:
"When are e-mail messages records? You should treat e-mail messages the same way you treat paper correspondence. "
"Do I have to manage incoming and outgoing e-mail as records? Yes, you should apply the standard described above to both incoming and outgoing e-mail."
"Are e-mail systems reliable enough for transmitting official messages? Yes, e-mail systems are highly reliable for transmitting messages."
"How can e-mail be an official record if it is not signed? A signature does not make something a record."

Clearly the FAA views emails as no different than written communications....

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiative...rds/faq/email/
e

STILL from the wrong office to be official FAA interpretation of the regulation.
Feb 21, 2018, 04:34 PM
Quote:
helpdesk
part of the Administration & the staff represents the agency's policy, so as good as any other FAR rule
Feb 21, 2018, 05:00 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Working in one now! In engineering we write specifications and draw drawings for construction contractors to bid on. If we tell someone what the regulations mean it doesn't mean spit!
not familiar with the procedures of an Architect , /engineer , blueprints per say, but don't they have to be per code of whatever State, City whatever they are being constructed in ? and or wrote into the design of whatever is being constructed ( buildings-homes-roads-whatever ?)

say a wall has to be X feet and use X material and it is designed that way, does that have to be the rule in the blueprint drawings ?

whether or not the contractor does is not in question , isn't it written Within the designers plan that counts ? Rules-regulations etc ?

for example-in the U.S. must adhere to the International family of codes, specifically, the International Building Code (IBC) or, optionally for residential construction, the International Residential Code (IRC).
Feb 21, 2018, 05:05 PM
Quote:
wrong office
take off is allowed
Quote:
clear to operate that craft within the Model guidelines
Ref:MSG7615081
Feb 21, 2018, 05:41 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend
e

STILL from the wrong office to be official FAA interpretation of the regulation.
So all those times I sat on a help desk on a government TS network and told a customer "Sorry but you can't do that."

I was in error simply because my office wasn't allowed to interpret the rules?

Bull!
Feb 21, 2018, 05:48 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
e

Thankfully, you do not get to decide. It's an individual decision, and I'm quite comfortable relying on the statements of the director and the multiple emails from his office consistent with his statement.
Feb 21, 2018, 06:40 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK001
So all those times I sat on a help desk on a government TS network and told a customer "Sorry but you can't do that."

I was in error simply because my office wasn't allowed to interpret the rules?

Bull!
Reading comprehension is important. You should try it.
Feb 21, 2018, 06:41 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_m
Thankfully, you do not get to decide. It's an individual decision, and I'm quite comfortable relying on the statements of the director and the multiple emails from his office consistent with his statement.
"The director" is NOT the Chief Counsel of the FAA.
Feb 21, 2018, 06:49 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Reading comprehension is important. You should try it.
I comprehend just fine. You're the one with no clue.

But we're use to that.
Feb 21, 2018, 06:51 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
But has it ever occurred to you that the Director just might have talked to the Chief Counsel at some time and got their take on it all?

Got news for you, they do it ALL the time.
Feb 21, 2018, 07:03 PM
Quote:
the Chief Counsel of the FAA
gives the directive to the UAS helpdesk, the director, the Safety Inspectors, etc.
Feb 21, 2018, 07:09 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:

Again, you don’t get to decide. He said they’d contacted their lawyers. That’s good enough for me.
Feb 21, 2018, 07:20 PM
Quote:
comprehension is important
da dues disguised
Quote:
The only exception to this rule is for those who fully participate in and follow the safety guidelines of a community-based organization such as AMA (this is known as Section 336 or the Special Rule for Model Aircraft). Anyone who is not following one of these two paths is breaking the law and should be held accountable for their actions. Unfortunately, many recreational drone pilots today don’t understand this.
http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...ommercial-uas/
Feb 21, 2018, 07:25 PM
Even the chief council is not the be all end all of the subject. Was he not involved with the Taylor -FAA case? Isn't the FAA director his boss, or, at least have say in how he conducts himself? Hasn't courts overturned agency interpretations before?

Quick Reply