Feb 02, 2018, 06:12 PM
I'm not the pivot man
Thread OP
Discussion

FAA says no ama membership required.

Below is the response I received from the FAA concerning AMA membership or any CBO membership requirement in order to fly legal as a hobby pilot.

Franklin_m and Boombang each have receive the same 'no AMA membership required' response from the FAA.

If you have asked the FAA the same and got a reply back, please post your reply here.

Name: FAA-No-AMA-Requirement-scaled2.jpg
Views: 337
Size: 246.7 KB
Description:
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2018, 07:19 PM
Suspended Account

Here's my letter from FAA

"The FAA does not interpret PL 112-95 Section 336 (a) (2) as requiring membership in a CBO..."
Feb 02, 2018, 07:31 PM
actually got two emails
2/10/17

Thank you for your inquiry and apologies for the delayed response. Recreational operators flying under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336) must fly in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines, however membership is not required.

Regards,
FAA UAS Integration Office
[email protected]
www.faa.gov/uas

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 11:15 PM
To: 9-NATL-UAS-Help (FAA)
Subject: Message from www.faa.gov: [email protected]

This email was sent through the Federal Aviation Administration's public website. You have been contacted via an email link on the following page: http://www.faa.gov/uas/faqs/

I have FAA sUAS registration for hobby. The registration shows the safety guidelines how to operate r/c drones. Is membership required in a club [Community Based Organization] like the Academy of Model Aeronautics?
~
second one
Jan 31 2018
2018-01-31 01:09:14 PM EST - Pool, Timothy
Additional comments
Hello,

There is no requirement to join a club for operation of drones, the only requirement is that you register your craft on the FAA Website below. As long as you are registered on that website and you have placed your registration number on the drone, you are clear to operate that craft within the Model guidelines. Some neighborhoods or cities might have passed rulings / ordinances about drone operation, please check to verify that you are obeying those as well as not flying within 5 miles of an airport without clearance.

Thank you,

FAA Service Desk

https://faadronezone.faa.gov

__________________________________________________ ___________

Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 8:55 AM

To: [email protected]

Subject: Message from www.faa.gov: [email protected]

This email was sent through the Federal Aviation Administration's public website. You have been contacted via an email link on the following page: www.faa.gov/uas/faqs/

Hello, I'm a hobbyist with registration, FAR 101.41 states (b) The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization; Is membership required in any club [such as Academy of Model Aeronautics modelaircraft.org] to operate a model with sUAS registration?

Ref:MSG7615081
Feb 03, 2018, 08:35 AM
Suspended Account
I got 2 e-mails. Don't have them in front of me at the moment but I got them.

No CBO membership required!
Feb 03, 2018, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK001
I got 2 e-mails. Don't have them in front of me at the moment but I got them.

No CBO membership required!
just a question, but who is it that is saying that folks need to be in a CBO other than the AMA to fly recreational , I thought anyone can fly with only the FAA registration.

where as a commercial operator would need the other ticket, part 107
Feb 03, 2018, 09:58 PM
Closed Account
After the AMA's Op Ed about anyone who is Not a member of the AMA they are a rogue or criminal if they are flying contrary to membership with them.....I would have assumed the AMA also has read where the FAA says No CBO membership is required

But they do not bother to say that or tell their members, instead they push a lie that says by the Law part 336 you have to be a member of a CBO to be a hobbyist or otherwise a part 107 licensed pilot to be legal .

But so would every one who is a AMA member who actually registered with the FAA as per the real Law of the land, also know it is not true .
Feb 04, 2018, 08:24 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbear
just a question, but who is it that is saying that folks need to be in a CBO other than the AMA to fly recreational , I thought anyone can fly with only the FAA registration.

where as a commercial operator would need the other ticket, part 107
The AMA is pushing for mandatory CBO membership and their minions are spreading the lies with a passion. And that is pretty much the extent of it.

Yes, a commercial operator would need the part 107 ticket and in that case, the aircraft are registered with the FAA and each commercial drone will have its own unique number. Call it an 'N' number if you will.

Recreational flyers register the owner/operator and apply the same number to all their aircraft.

You will quite possibly see posts from those who have a hard time accepting or understanding all this.
Feb 04, 2018, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK001
The AMA is pushing for mandatory CBO membership and their minions are spreading the lies with a passion. And that is pretty much the extent of it.

Yes, a commercial operator would need the part 107 ticket and in that case, the aircraft are registered with the FAA and each commercial drone will have its own unique number. Call it an 'N' number if you will.

Recreational flyers register the owner/operator and apply the same number to all their aircraft.

You will quite possibly see posts from those who have a hard time accepting or understanding all this.
thanks , for a moment I thought this thread pertained to another issue other than the AMA issues , I thought everyone already knew about that , thanks for verifying
Feb 04, 2018, 01:51 PM
sorry I should have started at the first page , duhh
Feb 04, 2018, 03:58 PM
BFMAC Founding Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbear
sorry I should have started at the first page , duhh
Or raised the question in thread titled "how do we move foward divided ?"
Feb 05, 2018, 12:58 AM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by abel pranger
Did you mean the "a open forum to share thoughts " thread

where the only thoughts are theirs and everyone else's will get reported ?
Last edited by HGhost; Feb 05, 2018 at 01:21 AM.
Feb 05, 2018, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abel pranger

Why would you say such a thing ? my question and response pertain to this thread
Last edited by cbear; Feb 05, 2018 at 08:25 AM.
Feb 05, 2018, 01:36 PM
AeroDan
I think what the FAA means is: You should operate under the Safety Code prescribed by the AMA, but you don’t actually have to join or be a MEMBER of the AMA. If I’m wrong, it’s OK.
Feb 05, 2018, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
I think what the FAA means is: You should operate under the Safety Code prescribed by the AMA, but you donít actually have to join or be a MEMBER of the AMA. If Iím wrong, itís OK.
That is what is sounds like, which also sounds like a legal nightmare if something goes wrong.
Feb 05, 2018, 03:26 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPoonga
That is what is sounds like, which also sounds like a legal nightmare if something goes wrong.
I don't think it's that gloomy. There's only two types of flying you can't do under 336 w/o being a member: turbine and >55lb - for both of those the AMA won't bless you unless you're a member. Otherwise, the rest of the safety code is relatively easy to follow.

If something happens, your homeowner's is gonna pay first anyway. But it you're a responsible flyer, and follow the code, there's very little chance you'd ever get the attention of the FAA.

Quick Reply