Sig Samurai - RC Groups
Feb 02, 2018, 11:09 AM
JimN8UAY
Discussion

Sig Samurai

Looking to refurbish my Samurai from a long ago crash. Anyone have dimensions of the stock wing rod and a source for replacement?

Jim
Latest blog entry: Speaker mod for the Taranis.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2018, 11:43 AM
It should have a 5/16" rod. You can use drill rod from an industrial hardware store, or better yet buy an ejector pin from Dixiepins.com, or you can buy solid carbon from CST or ACP.
Feb 02, 2018, 03:54 PM
Build Fly Crash Repeat
Plans say 5/16" x 12" long wing rod.
Feb 02, 2018, 03:54 PM
Build Fly Crash Repeat
Plans say 5/16" x 12"
Feb 02, 2018, 06:38 PM
JimN8UAY
Thanks!
Feb 02, 2018, 09:02 PM
auto-tune remix
Dixiepins are what I use in my Shredder, which is a 2 meter pitcheron. They've worked great for me: http://www.dixiepins.com/

These are hardened mold ejector pins. They're really hard,- I've never had one take a bend or break.
Feb 02, 2018, 09:50 PM
It's time for me to fly
On the Dixiepins site they only show 6" length for sale for the straight pins. Or do you buy the ones with the head (which are sold in many different lengths) and cut off the head?

I have an eBay link saved (somewhere) that sells 3' lengths of hardened drill rod. I can hunt it down if anyone needs it. Not sure how the hardness compare to the Dixie stuff.
Feb 02, 2018, 09:52 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno
They're really hard,- I've never had one take a bend or break.
Maybe you aren't applying yourself...can I try?

I spun my Dixies slowly in a drill, while using an entire Dremel wheel to cut my ~5/16 from a longer rod.
Feb 02, 2018, 09:58 PM
auto-tune remix
I used to use drill rod for my Shredder. One time I came screaming down out of 500' dive and pulled up, and it bent the rod on both sides- that was fun to get out.

There was a jogger going by on the trail and she almost proned out when it screeched by.

Once I went to the dixiepins I've never had anything like that happen- I crashed the Shredder really hard on its nose onto some pavement. It smooshed the fiberglass nose back about 2", but I was able to patiently use boiling water to unbend the nose- and I'm still using that wingrod today.

Yes- I order the ones with the head and cut it off using a dremel cut-off wheel.
Feb 02, 2018, 10:19 PM
It's time for me to fly
Good info, thanks!
Feb 03, 2018, 09:33 AM
For cutting wing rods I have started to use my 4” angle grinder rather than my Dremel...works well.
Feb 03, 2018, 12:55 PM
This works great. Many uses like cutting brass tubing to length, wing rods, even hardened Dixi Injector Pins.

link: https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...metal+chop+saw

Tom f.
Feb 12, 2018, 11:48 PM
JimN8UAY
Anyone have a Sammy that can give me more dimensions? I need to know at the root of the wing the leading edge to the center of the wing/pivot rod? Also any estimated balance point on the wing?
Dixie pins look great, quick delivery for 12" ejector pins, hardened...now to cut off the heads!

Thanks!

Jim
Feb 13, 2018, 10:53 PM
JimN8UAY

Build manual/plans and dimensions?

Anyone have the plans or manual in digital format? What I really need are the root rib dimensions...wing rod placement as well as drive pin from the leading edge? Would also like some recommended balance/CG dimensions, too.

Copy of a wing root and I'm good!
Thanks!
Last edited by Jimn8uay; Feb 13, 2018 at 11:12 PM.
Feb 15, 2018, 10:29 AM
JimN8UAY
I think I've got my questions answered. Looking at 25% MAC for the wing rod. Seems to be common for twisty wings.

Quick Reply