Sep 07, 2020, 08:05 AM
Hi, I have been using quite a few of the Mobius maxi cameras in a high vibration environment and while most of them remain working (10 of 13) 3 of them have an issue in that when they turn on they flash continuously purple (Red, Yellow and Blue LEDs) and there doesnt appear to be a way of recovering them. Pressing the Reset and then turning it back on doesnt do anything, then when connecting it to the computer the purple is on continuously and a high pitch noise is heard. Does anyone know what this issues is and how to rectify it?

Just for context they has been working without issue and no changes have been made to them.

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Sep 07, 2020, 10:22 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by agwiw
Dear all,
In Mobius MAXI is it possible to set the timelapse photos at a value below 3 sec? (e.g. 1 frame per 1 second?) If yes, then how?
Related question: is it possible to set the camera to record video at 5fps or anything lower than 24fps at all?

Many thanks in advance.
It's not possible with the current FW. I'd think it could be done if the FW added it, but there could be some issues. With the M1, for example, it can go down to 0.25 sec., but settings below 2 sec. will eliminate ability to record the date/time stamp on the image as well as attaching the EXIF metadata to the file. But the Maxi has different imaging hardware it in, so it's unknown what effect shorter durations might have. It's a question that only the developer can answer. You might try posting the question on his eBay web store message system (eletoponline365.com)
Sep 07, 2020, 10:38 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Stead
Hi, I have been using quite a few of the Mobius maxi cameras in a high vibration environment and while most of them remain working (10 of 13) 3 of them have an issue in that when they turn on they flash continuously purple (Red, Yellow and Blue LEDs) and there doesnt appear to be a way of recovering them. Pressing the Reset and then turning it back on doesnt do anything, then when connecting it to the computer the purple is on continuously and a high pitch noise is heard. Does anyone know what this issues is and how to rectify it?

Just for context they has been working without issue and no changes have been made to them.

Thanks
The only time I've had an issue where all the LEDs blink continuously when the camera is booted is when the internal boot diagnostics finds an error. And that usually indicates the memory card is not detected or cannot be written to. But there could be any number of other failures that could cause a diagnostic failure, such as the push-down clamp on the CMOS module ribbon cable connectors coming unlatched (causing bad connection on the cable), a failed circuit board component, cracked solder joint, etc. etc. And those could be a result of the high vibration use you mention. If a different (known to be good) memory card doesn't resolve it, I'd check to be sure the ribbon cable is fully inserted in the sockets (both ends) and the socket clamp piece is fully closed. Beyond that, I have no clue.
May 19, 2021, 04:43 PM

Camera hangs after using mSetup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLomas
I'm using mSetup 5.0.2.0, latest available.
Hangs every time (never seen it working correctly), but saves settings.
Anyway, easier with reset, when i found it ;-)
I have eight Action Cams, so I'm not unfamiliar with these cameras. I now have four new Maxis, each with firmware V2.40. I am using mSetup 5.0.14.0. I searched this forum and found references to my issue in posts #99-103, and again in posts #473-474. But none of those posts describe a solution. On each new from box camera, using mSetup to format the SD card and load a profile, the camera hangs with both LEDs lit - it never turns off. After loading a configuration, I receive the message that the camera is configured and can now be removed. However, disconnecting the camera does not turn the camera off. I must use the reset tool and button to shut off the camera.
I have used several different SD card brands and sizes, known to work in the Action Cams, and new from package faster U3 cards for this camera. With all cards and configurations the camera hangs after loading a configuration.
Does any one have a solution to this problem? Thanks all
May 20, 2021, 12:29 AM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo952
I have eight Action Cams, so I'm not unfamiliar with these cameras. I now have four new Maxis, each with firmware V2.40. I am using mSetup 5.0.14.0. I searched this forum and found references to my issue in posts #99-103, and again in posts #473-474. But none of those posts describe a solution. On each new from box camera, using mSetup to format the SD card and load a profile, the camera hangs with both LEDs lit - it never turns off. After loading a configuration, I receive the message that the camera is configured and can now be removed. However, disconnecting the camera does not turn the camera off. I must use the reset tool and button to shut off the camera.
I have used several different SD card brands and sizes, known to work in the Action Cams, and new from package faster U3 cards for this camera. With all cards and configurations the camera hangs after loading a configuration.
Does any one have a solution to this problem? Thanks all
You may be loading in an old Profile that does not have all the settings of the new FW. It depends on how you retrieved the latest mSetup and FW files and where you stored them.

I suggest you test this by going to the system folder where the latest mSetup is located, and rename the old mSetup.cfg file to OLDmSetup.cfg, or something like that so mSetup cannot find it's config file where the profile definitions are stored. Then run mSetup again and reconfiguration the settings as you prefer in your profile, and then save the new profile and write the config to the camera before exiting. This will recreate a new mSetup.cfg file with the profiles having all the settings for the latest FW in it.

Does this solve your lockup problem?
May 20, 2021, 11:09 PM
Just to announce that I set up a 'Buyer's Guide' to Mobius cameras, highlighting the difference between the 3 main models, as a guide for new buyers (like me): https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e#post47166825

If anyone can see any errors or has any input then do let me know! I am very much a newbie to all this stuff!
May 21, 2021, 05:59 PM

Tom - thanks for the reply.
However, this is not an old profile issue - there were no profiles. I installed the mSetup software in a new folder. I connected the new Maxi cameras, and set the date/time. Cameras hang and will not disconnect cleanly. I used fully charged cameras with the new mSetup software. I had tried the rename the the config file trick and let the software build a new file - that new file hangs too. I also made a new profile from the new camera in the new mSetup. That profile also hangs. I even tried the "Set Default Values" button - the camera hangs. And whn I say "camera," I mean all my new cameras - I try them all. As stated initially, I have setup software 5.0.14.0, and the cameras have firmware V2.40. I see now FW V2.41 which I will try. I got my software and FW from the Mobius website (https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/downloads-info/). If the FW update from 2.40 to 2.41 works, I'll let you know. Silence here means the FW update to 2.41 did not help and I am still looking for suggestions.
May 21, 2021, 07:29 PM
Hello
I found interesting silicon cover for Mobius Maxi on ebay, it looked like solution for the dashcam function on bicycle when it is raining but now I don't know how to mount camera to holder because this cover seems be incompatible with basic Mobius Maxi holder. I asked the seller but still no answer.
I understand that this probably isn't official Mobius accessory but maybe somebody know how this cover is intended or whether there exists another camera holder which allows to fasten Mobius Maxi with this cover to tripod screw?
Or is there better way how to protect Mobius Maxi against wet weather, dirt, snow and rain? A plastic bag and tape around camera works but only one time and looks ugly. I don't want a big underwater cover just something against rain.

Thanks for any advice.
May 21, 2021, 11:24 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Tom - thanks for the reply.
However, this is not an old profile issue - there were no profiles. I installed the mSetup software in a new folder. I connected the new Maxi cameras, and set the date/time. Cameras hang and will not disconnect cleanly. I used fully charged cameras with the new mSetup software. I had tried the rename the the config file trick and let the software build a new file - that new file hangs too. I also made a new profile from the new camera in the new mSetup. That profile also hangs. I even tried the "Set Default Values" button - the camera hangs. And whn I say "camera," I mean all my new cameras - I try them all. As stated initially, I have setup software 5.0.14.0, and the cameras have firmware V2.40. I see now FW V2.41 which I will try. I got my software and FW from the Mobius website (https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/downloads-info/). If the FW update from 2.40 to 2.41 works, I'll let you know. Silence here means the FW update to 2.41 did not help and I am still looking for suggestions.
Whoa!.. you say you have new Mobius Maxi cameras, but the latest FW for it is the one that came in it... V 2.40. There is no FW 2.41 for the Maxi, not even an unreleased beta test version. And the web page you linked with the v2.41 FW is for the original Mobius 1, NOT the Maxi! Fortunately that FW will not load into the Maxi, so no harm done if you tried. But, that web site is NOT an official Mobius developer's web site, though it's set up to appear that way. Unless they got some unreleased FW from the developer (which I seriously doubt), this RCG site is the only place where Mobius FW is first released that I'm aware of. You should always get the camera FW from here, and the same is true for the mSetup program which is linked in the upfront posts here for all the supported Mobius cameras. For that matter, it you have the FW and Program auto-update boxes checked in the mSetup "Tools" menu, the program will auto check for any updates when it boots as long as it has access to an internet connection, so you will know if there are any updates available, and the program will lead you through the update processes.

OK, with that out of the way, it sounds like you did everything possible to rule out a possible issue I suggested. Given none on the cameras work correctly when you try to update or reconfigure them, I think there's an issue with your USB connection and/or memory cards.

Lets get this established first... Do the cameras function properly in taking videos and photos that you can view when you connect the cameras to your PC?
Last edited by Tom Frank; May 23, 2021 at 01:18 PM. Reason: add some clarifying text
May 23, 2021, 06:26 AM
Mr.
Did anyone in here tried to replace the battery with a larger one?
May 26, 2021, 09:05 AM

Tom:
Correct, v2.41 does not apply to the Maxi. I was desperately looking for solutions. The mSetup would not recognize the v2.41 file with a Maxi attached so it was not an issue.

For reference, I downloaded the mSetup vers. 5.10.14.0 from the link on this group. That link goes to the URL: http://www.mytempfiles.info/mobiusmaxi/index.html

Also as stated previously, all cameras came with FW V2.40. Thus, I did not applied any FW updates. However, I did download V2.40 and apply the FW update anyway, but it had no effect on the camera - it still hangs when exiting mSetup.

I am using the USB cables provided with the cameras.

I have two sets of micro SD cards: Patriot SDXC 64GB, class 10, UHS class 1, and PNY SDXC 64GB, class 10, UHS class 3. I am testing several of these cards, especially the known good cards which work fine in my Action Cams. Thus far, the tests show the camera records correctly to the cards.

Having to use a camera reset every time I format a card, set date/time, or load the profile is still a major concern. I will share these cameras/cards with others to record video, so the mSetup needs to work correctly. These other folks frequently let the batteries drain and must charge, set date/time, and then load the profile. They have struggled with these steps in the past, so adding a hung camera and a necessary reset becomes very problematic.

I'm still testing cards/cameras and am open to suggestions for solutions. I do not understand why this batch of Maxi cameras do not work perfectly "out of the box" like the Action Cams.
May 26, 2021, 02:44 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Tom:
... all cameras came with FW V2.40. Thus, I did not applied any FW updates. However, I did download V2.40 and apply the FW update anyway, but it had no effect on the camera - it still hangs when exiting mSetup.

I am using the USB cables provided with the cameras.

I have two sets of micro SD cards: Patriot SDXC 64GB, class 10, UHS class 1, and PNY SDXC 64GB, class 10, UHS class 3. I am testing several of these cards, especially the known good cards which work fine in my Action Cams. Thus far, the tests show the camera records correctly to the cards.

Having to use a camera reset every time I format a card, set date/time, or load the profile is still a major concern.
I'm still testing cards/cameras and am open to suggestions for solutions. I do not understand why this batch of Maxi cameras do not work perfectly "out of the box" like the Action Cams.
OK, it appears your cameras are recording properly. I am not having any lock-up issues with my older Maxi running the same FW and using the same mSetup versions with a high quality third party USB cable about 5 ft. long with foil shielding. The cables that come with the camera are inexpensive and can sloppy fits in some USB ports and/or have weak connections with the USB socket pins, and the typically weaker USB data signals on USB hubs can also come into play. Some of my cables and/or USB ports, do not even connect my Maxi to the PC as an external USB drive, particularly ports on hubs, monitors, and external hard drives sometimes DO NOT work with some USB cables but DO work with other cables, and some USB ports work with some cables, but not other cables. So I don't think mSetup is the source of your problems. I think it's largely a situation of weak USB data signals. ALL my cables and ports provide "reliable" USB 5V power to re-charge the cameras, but the power connections don't t react to intermittent voltage fluctutions or critical timing intervals like data stream communication does.

Assuming you get solid USB external drive connection with your PC and mSetup acknowledges it when it boots, if you are doing the brief shutter button press after that to put the Maxi in configuration mode (blue LED) so that mSetup can write new configs to it, mSetup should be able to write the new config file and display the successful write process several seconds later without locking up unless the data connections are weak and are not completing the new config write process with the camera, which seems to be where the process breaks down?

Try this! Remove the memory card from the camera and plug in the Maxi. It should connect (confirmed with PC tones) to your PC in webcam mode (Blues LED), the same protocol as when mSetup is able to communicate directly with the camera FW settings. Try wiggling the cable at the camera socket. Do you lose the connection (more computer tone confirmation)? If so, problem found! If you don't lose connection, boot the free Amcap webcam program. Does it recognize the camera when "Mobius" is selected in the device menu). Do you see the streamed video data from the camera on your screen? If not make sure the menu "options/video device/capture format" popup window shows "MJPG" in the "color space" box. If you are getting the streamed video on your screen, you have a solid data communication that should work to configure the Maxi without locking up. But next, wiggle the cable connection at the camera again. If at any time you lose the video, you have had a broken data communication, which will lock up the Maxi!

All I can suggest is to try using different USB ports, starting with those resident on your PC, along with different cables.

As an aside, the Maxi has different chip sets and USB communication hasn't been as reliable as the old original Maxi. My original Mobius is immune to most (but not all) of these port/cable issues. There have been Maxi FW tweaks addressing more reliable USB communication in prior FW updates, and the current version seems to be the best. But I have some cables and some USB ports that never work reliably with the Maxi, yet have one port (on my PC) and one Cable that always works! I guess I can't rule out the possibility of some issues with the latest chip set components in the Maxi, but so far no one else has posted about your problem.
Last edited by Tom Frank; May 26, 2021 at 02:54 PM. Reason: minor text cleanup
May 27, 2021, 02:34 AM
Mr.

Mobius-1 vs Mobius-Maxi

Please help me decide. Is there a big difference in picture quality between the Mobius-1 vs the Maxi? I am very happy with my 7 years old Mobius-1 but would like to use the 1080p in 60fps. I am not interested in anything else. The 150 deg lense is another reason but not as important. My question is: How good is the Maxi when it comes to evening filming? And is the 60fps realy 60 or it is just a over sampled 30fps (in 1080p)
May 27, 2021, 02:37 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomario
Please help me decide. Is there a big difference in picture quality between the Mobius-1 vs the Maxi? I am very happy with my 7 years old Mobius-1 but would like to use the 1080p in 60fps. I am not interested in anything else. The 150 deg lense is another reason but not as important. My question is: How good is the Maxi when it comes to evening filming? And is the 60fps realy 60 or it is just a over sampled 30fps (in 1080p)
The Maxi 1080p-60fps is REAL, not frame doubled. The low light performance is always subject to users impressions and preference. But the M1 has only a single metering mode, whereas the Maxi has 7 user options, i.e. Center area, Center spot, Multi Spot, Top, Bottom, High light priority, and Low light priority. The latter 4 can help bring out more detail that is of interest to the user with scenes having large areas of both bright and dark illumination. Top/Bottom priority is useful when shooting aerial video at dawn/dusk where the sky has much more influence on the exposure than the darker ground, and whether you are more interested in the sky or ground details. The High and Low light priorities can be helpful where the scene is more uniformly lit, with both high and low light areas (e.g. sun and shade) to help show details better in the lighting of the areas of greatest interest. If unsure, use the multi spot metering for best overall exposures in scenes with more uniform brightly illuminated scenes.
Last edited by Tom Frank; May 27, 2021 at 02:39 PM. Reason: minor text cleanup
May 28, 2021, 11:06 AM
1080 is good nuff' fer me!

Hey Tom, who is Mr. Mobius?

Iím a big admirer of these little cameras, been using Mobius 2 and Maxiís for a few years now and I find them indispensable.

Being an electrical engineer and in the motion picture and television business for four decades now, Iím really curious if there is any information about who is behind the development and manufacturing of these?

I love these cameras, but it is frustrating procuring them and getting batteries. The official USA reseller website is a mess to navigate, but luckily Iíve established direct communication with Vince and he has been incredibly helpful in sending me batteries for my old Mobius 2's and my Maxiís. The official eBay site eletoponline365 also leaves something to be desired and doesnít seem to have any batteries listed at all anymore. For such a fantastic little product, I would think that they would increase sales if they would organize their USA reseller website better and maybe open a site on Amazon. I canít believe that the Maxi isnít officially listed on Amazon, there only appears to be one guy selling the Maxi at the rip-off price of $183.29!

I love this site: long time reader, first time poster. The information you have posted here Tom has been extremely useful in helping me get the most out of my cameras.

Also, if anyone here has a working Mobius 2 or working motherboard for one I want to buy it!

Cheers, Roger

Quick Reply