Jul 17, 2019, 06:41 AM
Thanks Tony. Lets hope Mobius get this fixed quickly as last week someone caught my car parking whilst I was at work. Luckily, just a slight burn on the plastic bumper which came out almost entirely. However, I really need some protection ASAP and a 64GB SD is only good for a few hours not a full 10!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2019, 01:27 PM
I use a #16 keyfob camera for "surveillance" as you can turn those down to 10 FPS, which is still plenty. The files are then much smaller - around 0.8 MB for 40 mins.
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Jul 17, 2019, 03:55 PM
Thanks but only 720P. Not so good for retrieving number plates.
Jul 17, 2019, 04:30 PM
Yup that's true, shame the other cameras don't support the lower frame rates though.
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Jul 17, 2019, 04:36 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCamUser
Thanks Tony. Lets hope Mobius get this fixed quickly as last week someone caught my car parking whilst I was at work. Luckily, just a slight burn on the plastic bumper which came out almost entirely. However, I really need some protection ASAP and a 64GB SD is only good for a few hours not a full 10!
To piggyback on the recent posts and your initial post info, I have some comments and suggestions.

First, you mentioned using the Normal MD sensitive setting, suspecting that the Low setting would not trigger the MD. Did you even try it? If not, please do so. The distance to your targeted object in a scene is not a direct factor in the MD, but more specifically, the portion and/or percentage of the screen which the camera can sense motion.

If it's a night recording, video noise may be the trigger, if not the other background motion from passing cars, pedestrians, etc, as you mentioned. I don't know if the Maxi always uses motion (or noise) in it's full sensor area for a trigger, or if it only uses the active pixels being captured by the recorded video. If it's the latter, then dropping down to a lesser resolution like 1080p might help. If it always uses the full CMOS active pixel array, then lower resolution would not help. I don't know if it's even possible for FW to define the portion of the CMOS used for motion detection like the camera does for exposure, but I wouldn't expect any development for this special use to be expedited right now due to other Maxi development.

But there is another good reason I'd drop down to a lower resolution, and that is to extend your recording time dramatically. You are using the 2.7k-30fps resolution, which uses the MJPG video codec due to hardware limitations at resolutions above 1080p. That codec, as you likely know, is not nearly as efficient in compressing video as the H.264 used for lower resolutions, so file size is a lot larger at equivalent quality. FWIW, I can't view the 2.7k videos on my 1080p monitor without it being by my video players, and I find the quality is visibly worse that a 1080p video clip.

Also, you can reduce the video bit rate from your Superfine setting down to Normal, and reduce your data rate by about 15%, with hardly any noticeable loss in detail, which might be worth it for area surveillance to get the added recording time.

And finally, dropping down to 24 fps (no significant penalty for area surveillance per a prior post) to get about another 20% reduction in the data rate.

I did a short video comparison test shooting a 2.7k_30fps clip vs a 1080p-24fps clip, with both set for Normal quality, and the data rate dropped from about 274,800KB/min for the former to about 80,800 KB/min for the latter, giving a file size reduction of about 70%!

These changes may not help with the MD trigger being too sensitive, but it appears you should get your targeted 10 hours of recording.

P.S. Regarding your 1GB files not being 4GB as the Used Guide says, perhaps the manual has misinformation in it? You had the normal global clip length set to 3 min. in your config, and that's the length of your clips. If your MD was constantly being resent with distant activity or video noise in your scene, it's plausible the global clip length was still active in the Maxi. If you set your global file clip length to a different setting, do your MD file lengths follow the same pattern?
{edit} I did a quick test of Maxi MD in bright light in 1080P-30fps mode, with quality set to Superfine, MD sensitivity set to Low, MD Time Out set to 15 sec., and global Clip Length set to Max. I have uploaded a clip showing where the Maxi first started recording as I walked directly in front of and away from it. The clip stopped recording at exactly 15 sec. (after I was out of the scene). I trimmed off some of the tail end to shorten the portion with no motion other than the wind blowing the tree limbs and shrubs close to the camera. This was not enough motion to keep the camera recording at Low Sensitivity. Further, I re-entered the scene fro the right border out at the street, and pulled the two trash bins back up the driveway, and even this was not detected as enough motion to trigger a new MD clip at Low sensitivity! I also put the lens cap on the camera and toggled the camera shutter button to start the MD. The camera began recording and was still going over 4 minutes later when I manually stopped the recording. The clip was just a dark nearly black scene with some low barely visible red video noise streaks, but this was enough to start a recording and keeping it going until I manually stopped the recording!
Here's the only clip viewable clip that was recorded at a low MD Sensitivity setting.{/edit}
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 17, 2019 at 05:47 PM. Reason: added test info in last paragraph
Jul 18, 2019, 05:04 AM
Model: Mobius Maxi Lens B G-sensor
Firmware : 2.26

When setting the time / date on my mobius using msetup, it stays at the time is set and doesn't change.

I made a quick video (5.30mins long / Skip from 0.38 to 5:00 )

https://streamable.com/sn1d8

Time is 9:56 on camera
I sync the time, so it's now 10: 23 on cam
I unplug the cam
5 mins later I plug back in - time on camera is still 10:23
I sync the time again and it's now 10:28 on the cam, as expected.

Anyone have this problem / solution?

thanks
Last edited by abc2019; Jul 18, 2019 at 06:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Jul 18, 2019, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abc2019
When setting the time / date on my mobius using msetup, it stays at the time is set and doesn't change.
It seems like the battery/capacitor is not keeping the on board clock running.

Repeat the test of setting the time and checking 5 minutes later, but instead of unplugging it, turn it off and keep it plugged into the computer so it receives power (the circle light should be green). Does the time stay correct?
Jul 18, 2019, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM1
It seems like the battery/capacitor is not keeping the on board clock running.

Repeat the test of setting the time and checking 5 minutes later, but instead of unplugging it, turn it off and keep it plugged into the computer so it receives power (the circle light should be green). Does the time stay correct?
Plugged in at 12:02, left it plugged in for 5 mins
Unplugged and immediately plugged it back in - time was 12:02
Jul 18, 2019, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Plugged in at 12:02, left it plugged in for 5 mins
Unplugged and immediately plugged it back in - time was 12:02
That sounds like a clock issue, rather than a power supply issue.

Does the camera work when it's not plugged in? Does the battery hold enough charge for a decent recording length?
Jul 18, 2019, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM1
That sounds like a clock issue, rather than a power supply issue.

Does the camera work when it's not plugged in? Does the battery hold enough charge for a decent recording length?
Camera works fine - I don't have access to my files now, but if I remember correctly I've had recordings around the 10-15mins.

I'll contact the seller to see what they say.
Jul 18, 2019, 02:52 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Camera works fine - I don't have access to my files now, but if I remember correctly I've had recordings around the 10-15mins.

I'll contact the seller to see what they say.
As a last resort, open the camera and unplug the battery for about 10 secs, then plug it back into the circuit board and try the time setting process again. This forces a "cold" boot that will sometimes clear an unusual system lockup.
Jul 20, 2019, 06:08 AM

Wifi not working after upgrade

Today I've upgraded my android app to 1.0.3 and the firmware of the maxi to v2.26
However I can't connect to wif anymore. When I hold down the mode button, the back red led light flickers very shortly and after just 1-2 seconds stops flickering. The device doesn't show up in the list of available wifi devices.
When i connect to a windows pc and I set the parameter that it should start wifi automatically upon turning on, the same happens... just a short flickering of the rear led , but no connection possible. What am I doing wrong (with the previous version v2.11 I had no problems connecting).

Hope someone can help since I don't have access a lot to windows PC's so I need it to work with Android (maybe in the future that I can connect via cable to my phone?? (via OTG)??)
Jul 22, 2019, 12:40 AM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JooR Us
Today I've upgraded my android app to 1.0.3 and the firmware of the maxi to v2.26
However I can't connect to wif anymore. When I hold down the mode button, the back red led light flickers very shortly and after just 1-2 seconds stops flickering. The device doesn't show up in the list of available wifi devices.
When i connect to a windows pc and I set the parameter that it should start wifi automatically upon turning on, the same happens... just a short flickering of the rear led , but no connection possible. What am I doing wrong (with the previous version v2.11 I had no problems connecting).

Hope someone can help since I don't have access a lot to windows PC's so I need it to work with Android (maybe in the future that I can connect via cable to my phone?? (via OTG)??)
It sounds like you could have low battery power if the camera is operating only on it's internal battery. Have your tried this with the camera connected to an external USB power source?
Jul 22, 2019, 07:41 AM
Just an update:

The seller asked me to do the following:

Unplug the camera directly after setting the time and date, do turn off the camera first and then unplug it.

The setting may not saved successfully.

Turn off the camera first, then unplug the camera after setting.

Change the time and date through WIFI app

Update the firmware.(I installed v1.86, then updated to v2.26)

The seller didn't suggest to open the camera and remove the battery so I thought it best I didn't do that.

None of the above worked, so the seller gave me an RMA number.

Seller will refund shipping and will send a new camera.

Will update if the seller lets me know what was wrong with the camera.
Jul 28, 2019, 04:31 PM

Soft COver

Looks like they just listed a soft silicon cover

Quick Reply