Sep 17, 2018, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
Yes.
But what exactly a rear LED blinking means? This is not described in the manual but often this LED blink in sync with yellow LED for the first half of time, then it is steady ON and the last phase is usually very fast blinking. So is there undocumented function of the rear LED to indicate low battery state or not? If yes, why this time the low battery warning was missing? And why there was energy to 2 hours of LED blinking then?

According the manual http://mytempfiles.info/mobiusmaxi/MobiusMaxiManual.pdf a new and fully charged battery will record about "90 minutes of 1080p 60fps videos." so I want to have a similar recording time. Sometimes my camera is able to record up to 80 minutes but sometimes this time is much shorter - 40-50 minutes. Why? Is there a reason for higher power consumption when camera on bicycle shakes?
And why sometimes recording stops after 10-30 minutes and when I starts it again I'm able to record another 30 minutes?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2018, 01:21 AM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry99
But what exactly a rear LED blinking means? This is not described in the manual but often this LED blink in sync with yellow LED for the first half of time, then it is steady ON and the last phase is usually very fast blinking. So is there undocumented function of the rear LED to indicate low battery state or not? If yes, why this time the low battery warning was missing? And why there was energy to 2 hours of LED blinking then?

According the manual http://mytempfiles.info/mobiusmaxi/MobiusMaxiManual.pdf a new and fully charged battery will record about "90 minutes of 1080p 60fps videos." so I want to have a similar recording time. Sometimes my camera is able to record up to 80 minutes but sometimes this time is much shorter - 40-50 minutes. Why? Is there a reason for higher power consumption when camera on bicycle shakes?
And why sometimes recording stops after 10-30 minutes and when I starts it again I'm able to record another 30 minutes?
LED's power consumption is miniscule compared to the power required to record a video! Batteries do not last forever! As they age, they slowly lose the ability to take in a full mAH charge, and also start dropping voltage more rapidly as the current starts to flow because the internal resistance of the battery increases over time due to internal deposits. SO the battery looks "Good" if all you are looking at is the green charging light, but that just is an indicator that the camera voltage is at it's max. when the charging circuit turns off the green LED. It tells you nothing about the health of the battery, how many mAH it has taken in, or how much the voltage will drop under load.

If your camera operates normally sitting still and not being continuously jostled by bike riding, then I believe you may have an intermittent, vibration induced, loss of communication with your memory card, or possibly with the battery connecter itself. Or you memory card could be flakey.

Maybe you should try powering your camera with an external USB (5V) battery pack that plugs into the USB port. That would eliminate a flakey internal battery as a possible cause of your problems. Try a different CL 10 memory card as well. If you are mounting the camera rigidly to your bike frame, try mounting it as a helmet cam to reduce the hard accelerations of riding over rough terrain. Make sure it get good airflow over it to help keep it cooler.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Sep 18, 2018 at 01:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Sep 18, 2018, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Batteries do not last forever!
It seems you are right and battery degradation was much faster than I expected. This morning Mobius Maxi was able to record only 12 minutes on bicycle, then battery seems be empty and now the camera is able to record only 3 minutes just after recharging (green off) even on desktop. It seems that battery life is over. I got camera in August (paid in July) so I'm quite disappointed.
Sep 18, 2018, 04:02 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
It seems you are right and battery degradation was much faster than I expected. This morning Mobius Maxi was able to record only 12 minutes on bicycle, then battery seems be empty and now the camera is able to record only 3 minutes just after recharging (green off) even on desktop. It seems that battery life is over. I got camera in August (paid in July) so I'm quite disappointed.
Yeah, some batteries don't last as long as others, unfortunately. The batteries are inexpensive low C-rated consumer batteries, so they are not as robust as the lipo cells meant for strenuous service. That means they are also smaller (so the camera case can be more compact), and they are less expensive to replace. The battery power drain can be reduced by reducing the frame size, frame rate, and quality settings in the FW. If you don't need the Maxi's largest frame size and highest frame rates, toggle those settings back to the smaller frame sizes and frame rates that meet your needs. Also, if you are using the Super Fine or Fine Quality settings, try the lower Normal setting and see if the quality still meets your needs. Those things will reduce the power drain from the battery and give longer recording times.
Sep 19, 2018, 04:03 AM
Quote:
Yeah, some batteries don't last as long as others, unfortunately.
Yesterday evening I replaced 32GB card with 16GB (both are Kingston), I tried to fully recharge Mobius Maxi and then I started recording but this time I was able to record only 9 seconds, then it switched off. I tried it twice again and it recorded only several seconds. Does it look like a dead battery?

I decided to repeat the same test this morning, just for sure... I let camera on the table, I started recording and camera was blinking (red and yellow in sync) for more then hour. I thought that camera lies again and blinks without recording but not! The camera stopped after 75 minutes due to full memory card (there were some older recordings on 16 GB card).

So this camera seems be absolutely unpredictable. There is definitely a problem either in the battery or in the camera (hardware or firmware) and I'm not able to solve it. If firmware could create a log file with time, regularly measured voltage and at least the reason why camera switched off, the diagnose could be easy.
Anyway I can't imagine I could use Mobius Maxi for any serious purpose. I never know how long will camera record from a battery, it can stop anytime and even if camera is blinking I'm not sure whether it is recording or not. I wanted a reliable camera not a toy.
Sep 19, 2018, 05:31 AM
Have you checked for a loose battery connection? I was having lots of trouble with one of my Maxi's until I realised that the small white plug was 'loose' in the socket on the PCB. Is your battery glued to the case or PCB to stop it from moving around freely?
Last edited by TonyM1; Sep 19, 2018 at 07:49 AM.
Sep 19, 2018, 06:34 AM
Jerry, something is seriously wrong (with the camera by your description). Mine is the 3rd Mobius camera and like the Mobius and Mobius Mini, it's rock solid. Why don't you return it to the seller? You have just purchased it in the EU, right? So you are covered. At least until you start tampering with it.

I'd probably do like Tony suggests, but since you also experienced similar problems with your Mobius 2, DIY may not be for you...
Sep 19, 2018, 10:45 AM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Yesterday evening I replaced 32GB card with 16GB (both are Kingston), I tried to fully recharge Mobius Maxi and then I started recording but this time I was able to record only 9 seconds, then it switched off. I tried it twice again and it recorded only several seconds. Does it look like a dead battery?

I decided to repeat the same test this morning, just for sure... I let camera on the table, I started recording and camera was blinking (red and yellow in sync) for more then hour. I thought that camera lies again and blinks without recording but not! The camera stopped after 75 minutes due to full memory card (there were some older recordings on 16 GB card).

So this camera seems be absolutely unpredictable. There is definitely a problem either in the battery or in the camera (hardware or firmware) and I'm not able to solve it.
Well this test sequence rules out a worn out battery and the results with the change to a different memory card suggests it's not a card problem either. And it's not a FW problem, or everyone would be having your problems, plus something this severe would have been found during our beta testing. So that leave leaves the hardware as the likely source of the root cause, and since it's intermittent and random, getting worse with camera vibration, an intermittent connection somewhere in the camera circuitry sounds likely. As I suggested previously and TonyM1 reinforced, the battery wiring and connection is worth checking out. The battery plug fits VERY snug in it's socket (very hard to extract it for a battery change) and not likely to vibrate out if it's fully inserted, it may just not have been fully inserted as TonyM1 said. Also, the socket could have a cracked or cold solder connection on one of its two pins. It should not move if you try to wiggle it. I think the pins go through the circuit board and are soldered on the opposite side so it doesn't pull loose when the battery plug is extracted, so it would be necessary to remove the three tiny screws that hold the circuit board in the case to inspect for that if necessary. There could be an intermittent connection in the battery wiring, like a broken wire or bad solder connection to the plug or the charging protection circuit board on the battery itself. Installing a new battery would be the simplest way to indirectly diagnose that.

If you bought the camera from one of the Verified re-seller list at the front of this thread, you should be able to get a warranty replacement if it's a camera hardware problem.
Sep 19, 2018, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o
Mine is the 3rd Mobius camera and like the Mobius and Mobius Mini, it's rock solid. Why don't you return it to the seller? You have just purchased it in the EU, right? So you are covered.
I don't know why every problematic piece ends in my hands?
Yes, Mobius 1 was rock solid, it worked two years for me... until I fell on inline skates... but in fact it was the second piece. The first Mobius 1 had black corner on every photo and it was replaced by re-seller. I bough it in Revotech so it costs me only other shipping in the Czech republic so replacement was easy.
Then I bought Mobius 2 from Webbex because Revotech company was closed. It worked correctly until I upgraded firmware, then camera often doesn't react on keyboard... the problem was closed here as a marginal problem of defective piece... theoretically I could send it to Great Britain for warranty but shipping is expensive and result unsure so I downgraded firmware and gave it to friend as car dashcam (battery is not used and camera still works as I know).

This time I ordered Mobius Maxi directly from eletoponline365 so probably bad luck, 30 days is over and I suppose that shipping to China would be more expensive than new camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM1
Have you checked for a loose battery connection? I was having lots of trouble with one of my Maxi's until I realised that the small white plug was 'loose' in the socket on the PCB. Is your battery glued to the case or PCB to stop it from moving around freely?
Maybe this could be the reason. The battery can move freely inside the cover and white battery connector can be pulled out surprisingly easy! I expected when I push connector into socket some locking click happens but nothing it can be still easily pulled out. So I can imagine that such connector can loose contact or at least change resistence during movements.

Can you see anything wrong on connector or socket? And how to fix it?
Sep 19, 2018, 05:46 PM
Your battery should have a sticky pad on one side, fixed to either the case or PCB so that it does not move around freely. That would help to stop the wires from flexing and working loose.

I don't know enough about the connectors to comment on yours, except to repeat that one of mine was loose too and does not 'click' either.
Sep 19, 2018, 05:51 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
I don't know why every problematic piece ends in my hands?
Yes, Mobius 1 was rock solid, it worked two years for me... until I fell on inline skates... but in fact it was the second piece. The first Mobius 1 had black corner on every photo and it was replaced by re-seller. I bough it in Revotech so it costs me only other shipping in the Czech republic so replacement was easy.
Then I bought Mobius 2 from Webbex because Revotech company was closed. It worked correctly until I upgraded firmware, then camera often doesn't react on keyboard... the problem was closed here as a marginal problem of defective piece... theoretically I could send it to Great Britain for warranty but shipping is expensive and result unsure so I downgraded firmware and gave it to friend as car dashcam (battery is not used and camera still works as I know).

This time I ordered Mobius Maxi directly from eletoponline365 so probably bad luck, 30 days is over and I suppose that shipping to China would be more expensive than new camera.

Maybe this could be the reason. The battery can move freely inside the cover and white battery connector can be pulled out surprisingly easy! I expected when I push connector into socket some locking click happens but nothing it can be still easily pulled out. So I can imagine that such connector can loose contact or at least change resistence during movements.

Can you see anything wrong on connector or socket? And how to fix it?
The plug is more of an interference fit in the socket rather than a "latching" component. If you are pushing it firmly into the socket, perhaps it's the battery wiring that might be intermittent?

A piece of double-back tape on the case top is the best way to secure the battery from sliding around. The tape might need to be foam tape to make sure the sticky sides are in contact with the battery and case when the case is screwed back together.

FWIW, I don't think there is a 30 day warranty on the camera purchased from the developer's direct eBay store, eletoponline365. They have been more than accommodating with user issue concerning hardware failures not cause by crashes or other abuse or modification. But, as you said, they may want the product shipped back.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Sep 19, 2018 at 05:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Sep 21, 2018, 04:51 AM

batterie probleme

bonjour
moi aussi j ai acheté une mobius maxi,mais pas moyen de charger la batterie ni sur chargeur ni sur ordinateur
elle ne fonctionne que sur ma voiture (allume cigare) mais ne charge pas ,je cherche comme vous pourquoi?
j ai lu quelque part qu il faut 2 amperes sous5 voltes pour charger
quelqu un pourrai me renseigner merci par avance (sinon belle image)je suis linux ubuntu, c est aussi un problemepour le micrologiciel
Sep 21, 2018, 07:58 AM
Is someone here how knows the exact image sensor size?

Regards
Sep 21, 2018, 08:44 AM
I believe the sensor is 1/3", so the Maxi can accept third party lenses similar to the Mobius 1.
Sep 21, 2018, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerffond
bonjour
moi aussi j ai acheté une mobius maxi,mais pas moyen de charger la batterie ni sur chargeur ni sur ordinateur
elle ne fonctionne que sur ma voiture (allume cigare) mais ne charge pas ,je cherche comme vous pourquoi?
j ai lu quelque part qu il faut 2 amperes sous5 voltes pour charger
quelqu un pourrai me renseigner merci par avance (sinon belle image)je suis linux ubuntu, c est aussi un problemepour le micrologiciel
Bienvenue!

Es que vous avez essaye un autre cordon USB?

Quick Reply