Jul 12, 2019, 05:31 AM
John, Seng, thanks for the info on the spinners!
I don’t fly in any particular style, I mostly just fly around aimlessly trying not to hit any expensive 3D helicopters or F5J planes :-) I don’t currently have any videos on youtube or similar.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2019, 10:26 AM
Julian T
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3082

I have posted my response to your post here to put it where it belongs. You already know I don't use the stock ESC but a HW 60A ESC copes fine with the load on 5s.

Your complaints about elevator sensitivity obviously affect you but my experience has been otherwise. It does need careful setup if you go beyond 4s but even then I have found the model to be the equal of the RB in terms of rock solid flight - of course if you twitch the elevator at speed it will twitch back but stay smooth and it will fly accordingly. (The RB will jerk around too if you are not smooth on the sticks.) As you are not interested in wild aeros simply connect the clevis to the innermost hole on the servo arm, add in some expo to taste and you should be good to go.

I somehow expect you will not be happy with this model though, which is fine. I like it as much as the RB now, and I never thought I would say that about any fast foam model.
Jul 18, 2019, 08:51 PM
The unmentionable plane gets compared to F27 Evo as well.
Those two threads are not the only other threads either.

G.
Jul 18, 2019, 11:54 PM
The RB is a no-brainer compared to this plane. As are the EFXtra, F-27, and Heck even the V900.

I will rip out the Horn eventually(of course with a big chunk of foam as well..) and try to Macgeyver some other one in there... Too busy flying the other ones which just work right now.

I have flown this plane from the top of a hill mostly so far, and it was OK. The one time off flat ground was double dodgy - launch and flying. Maybe it can handle the super twitchy elevator Inputs at speed (inner hole at servo, %55 rates, %45 Expo.. ), but it will take getting used to. And a willingness to risk the "walk of shame"...
Jul 19, 2019, 02:38 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
You could probably just cut a chunk of an old credit card, drill a hole in it for the pushrod, and epoxy it to the existing horn as an extension.
Latest blog entry: Jeti ESC resto-mod
Jul 19, 2019, 03:56 AM
With the number of used FRers you have available in your area, I’d buy one of those that has been assembled and tuned by someone with more experience.

Perhaps you could arrange a demonstration prior to purchase at one of your fields with the elevated pilot platform.

John
Jul 19, 2019, 07:33 AM
I sure as hell am not going to buy a second one, after buying this first one, painting it, etc...

And I pointed out pretty clearly above, I did “tune“ it, but that is not enough, because the physical setup by design is flawed.

I am far from the only one, including people in this thread, who have found the elevator way too sensitive for fast flying. Some have even crashed it on launching. I haven’t done that yet anyway.

For all of the lecturing going on in this thread, how many have actually modified the horn and have it flying as well as it should be? Over here it seems most people are just selling them off, while here in this thread there seems to be a tendency to abandon it and move off to the Rare Bear for high-speed. The whole point of this plane was all the battery space for going 6S, but people don’t seem to be doing that. So one wonders if just adding a longer horn is really the solution. If it were that easy then I think more people would be doing it. But there are like four people posting in this thread. A resounding popular success this plane surely isn’t.

It is good looking and looks the part, but it does not live up to it from what I can see.
Last edited by Herrsavage; Jul 19, 2019 at 07:39 AM.
Jul 19, 2019, 08:57 AM
I think that the only thing “flawed” is your perception of the elevator. As advertised by the manufacturer, the FunRacer is advertised as an “aerobatic” fast flyer. I don’t understand why you are having such a difficult time understanding that to make any airframe “aerobatic “ usually means that all control throws need to be maximized. Maximized throws are not desirable if you decide to deviate from what the manufacturer intended, and fly it solely as a pylon racer, and not as an aerobatic model.
Is a baseball bat flawed because it doesn’t function well when you attempt to hit a golf-ball with it?
If and when you make the decision to address your elevator, ripping off the control horn (and possibly lots of foam) is not the route I would take. I would be more inclined to take a crenels and sand down the horn, flush with the mounting plate. I would take another longer control horn (with its mounting plate), and mount it atop the old mounting plate. If you were crafty, you could drill 2 holes in the new control horn with the same spacing as the original which would allow to to glue and screw the new horn in place. Of course it’s your model, so do as you like.
Jul 19, 2019, 09:44 AM
The thing has "racer" in the name, and is styled like a pylon racer type of plane - coming on the heals of other releases like the EFX planes and V900. It is perceived as a replacment to the Dogfighter. From day 1 the "argument" for this plane has been the big battery area for going 6S, because, as with the Dogfighter, Rare Bear, et al, the main point is to go fast. I do get the point that this plane is not for speed, but aerobatics, but jeeze, the marketing and even the styling - and even the name - are pretty far off the mark. In that sense this plane is a bit of an oddball, or dare I say even a failure, and the lack of popularity, as evidcenced both by the lack of activity(except between us) in this thread, and by the fact that so many are selling them off with little use, seems to back that up.

I'll probably just try to keep flying mine as is, and either do the walk of shame, or somehow, somewhere, some day summon the motivation to dick around with the horn... So far the credit card idea sounds best... Oh wait, it really isn't that type of horn, is it?..
Jul 19, 2019, 10:11 AM
Not one FunRacer ever listed here for sale, and I believe this site is “world-wide”. Again, plenty of V900’s and EFXras listed for sale here on a weekly basis!
Again, your stated “perception” was that the “FunRacer was to replace the DogFighter” is exactly that. Your perception, as that was ever stated or implied! At least as far as I know.
As far as popularity, I think it’s fair to make a generalized statement that Multiplex has never put forth the $ in advertising that Hobbyking, and especially Horizon do. That being said, most at our field that see a FunRacer in person, compete (or even flown simply for fun, doing big squares in the sky) quickly abandon the V900 and EFXtra, and purchase a FunRacer, as evidenced by the fact that there are now 5 FunRacer owners at our field, who were/are former V900/EFXTRA owners.
Last edited by seng30904; Jul 19, 2019 at 10:17 AM.
Jul 19, 2019, 12:26 PM
As Seng mentioned, there are 5 FR flyers in our club. Only 2 of those 5 participate in this forum. I’ve asked them all if they were aware of this thread. All have the same opinion and view point. That is, for the most part there is too much bickering for them to participate.

Pitiful, as far as I’m concerned.

John
Jul 19, 2019, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seng30904
Not one FunRacer ever listed here for sale, and I believe this site is “world-wide”. Again, plenty of V900’s and EFXras listed for sale here on a weekly basis!
Again, your stated “perception” was that the “FunRacer was to replace the DogFighter” is exactly that. Your perception, as that was ever stated or implied! At least as far as I know.
As far as popularity, I think it’s fair to make a generalized statement that Multiplex has never put forth the $ in advertising that Hobbyking, and especially Horizon do. That being said, most at our field that see a FunRacer in person, compete (or even flown simply for fun, doing big squares in the sky) quickly abandon the V900 and EFXtra, and purchase a FunRacer, as evidenced by the fact that there are now 5 FunRacer owners at our field, who were/are former V900/EFXTRA owners.
Maybe so, but that popularity is clearly not on display in this thread, or in general from what I have seen. Except for like three of you, who apparently all fly - and argue - together.
Jul 19, 2019, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Maybe so, but that popularity is clearly not on display in this thread, or in general from what I have seen. Except for like three of you, who apparently all fly - and argue - together.
You are not getting it, Herr. This is exactly what my other club members just avoid. I’ve got a project coming up requiring a male with a super hard skull. Hopefully, you will be available.
Jul 19, 2019, 12:58 PM
just stating the facts Herr, with no “perceptions” factored in. Not considered an “argument” here simply because the vast majority here doesn’t happen to agree with you
Jul 19, 2019, 01:04 PM
Julian T
Herr, you plainly do not like this model. That is fine, you are entitled to your opinion. However, you seem determined to convince myself and others your opinion is worth more than ours is. You object to the term 'racer' in FunRacer yet you have never actually raced your model against other models to get an objective view of their capability. You are not interested in the models aerobatic strengths - I use the word carefully as strength is one of its qualities - unlike others mentioned in this thread.

I would point you to the first word in its name 'fun'. You may not like it or understand it but lots of us are having fun with our 'racers'. Some of us like to have fun with semi fast models - let's not pretend they are really fast because they aren't.

One more thing - the launch is easy. I don't self launch as you know but the FR is easy to get away - point it upwards at 45 degrees or more, chuck hard and add in a bit of right rudder and aileron and it will disappear upwards with no stress at all.

Finally, and thankfully, I have searched the BMFA classifieds (the most widely used 2nd hand site in the UK) to find a 2nd hand FR - there are none. I would accept the FR is less popular than the V900 - HH can always garner a lot of sales by marketing and customer loyalty - but I can't fine a single 2nd hand FRs on the UK market - and I genuinely can't be bothered to search internationally. So your assertion they are appearing all over is irrelevant as far as I am concerned - if it's not in the UK it's not worth the hassle.

Quick Reply