Apr 24, 2019, 06:56 PM
Different, looks good! Hope that scheme shows up for you. With my collection of grey, military edf’s, I believe it will be tough to see.

John
to remove ads between posts
Apr 25, 2019, 03:45 AM
John,

Just noticed your ESC Pics on last page.
Nice work. I like it.
Been a while since I saw such an install.

First time I saw picture of surface mount ESC was on a 6KW F27C Stryker in Texas.
12S-4000 left him little room.

G.
Apr 26, 2019, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU
John,

Just noticed your ESC Pics on last page.
Nice work. I like it.
Been a while since I saw such an install.

First time I saw picture of surface mount ESC was on a 6KW F27C Stryker in Texas.
12S-4000 left him little room.

G.
I actually unbolted the heat sink from new mezon pro initially to keep unit within fuse and still able to run on 5S in FR. Thinking I might be pushing the limits of this esc, I put the heat sink back in place (cut hole in fuse to allow heat sink clearance) and actually have room to run on 6S now. Not sure I will ever go that route, but having the space and advantage of removing heat seems to be the way to go. FYI, the oversized jeti 160 amp mezon in my RB operates at 35C maximum. Much lower than the 100C limit recommended by jeti. Much smaller heat sink on that setup and hardly any airflow to esc.

Still have not tested this new jeti system yet as my focus has been on the rare bear. Having that model sorted now, I’ll place more effort on the FR.

John
May 19, 2019, 10:30 AM

New kit changes needed

Hey guys just had a new white FunRacer deliver to doorsteps. Looking for input mods changes to make to start with?
Here is what I plan on doing before starting to paint airframe.

Check motor solider connections (may change to 4mm bullet connector )
Put a bigger ESC ( will fly 3 cell to 4 cell for now)

Motor suggestion for 4 and 5 cell operations? I plan on staying with original motor for now.
What about changing control horn ( on control surface) and push rods on plane?
Any other mods ?

Thanks for input
May 20, 2019, 03:26 AM
One could get the impression this plane is a bit of a flop, no? Seems like there was a bunch of hype about it, but then it all seems to have fallen flat.

I have been flying the V900, which is GREAT on 4S. However, the plane is poorly designed IMHO. It has a horrible wing spar design, the tail is weak and needs reinforcement, the battery bay is tiny, etc etc... On 4S it's faster than an EFXtra on 4S - maybe about the same as an EFXtra on 5S. The thing about the V900 which is HUGE for me is that it isn't as crazy loud as the EFXtra - especially on 5S. It flies great and just doesn't draw the attention.

In any case, it doesn't seem like the Funracer is much of an alternative. It sure as heck isn't going to do 120mph on 4S like the V900 does, and that being the case, I'd imagine getting to 130mph and beyond would take some pretty substantial mods. I'd be fine with 5S, but I'm not going to start buying 6S lipos.. I'm overstocked on 4S and 5S as it is...
May 20, 2019, 06:58 AM

Flop

Axle, welcome to the FunRacer thread. Lots of help here, although not much is needed to enjoy your aircraft. If you are planning on flying 3-4s, I would initially just set it up according to the manual. You will either have the reported "stuttering" issues, or not. If you are not hearing the motor stuttering while applying throttle, you are "golden". The stuttering is usually noticed while throttling up from a complete stop. The elevator is "really" responsive". It is manageable on 3s, but gets far to sensitive on 4s. It is complete chaos on 5s and beyond, and needs attention to tame it. It is a real floater when landing, so don't think you have to land it too hot.
Herr, Flop? To be 100% fair, the FunRacer was never described as an all out pylon type racer as is the EFXtra's and V900's. The FunRacer was purposely designed and advertised as a speedy "aerobatic" type platform. While it is true the both the EF's and V900's are faster straight out of the box (with factory component's). The beauty of the FunRacer is in its design. It is truly far more aerobatic then either of the before mentioned airframes. Of course if you don't like to mix in some flat spins, slow knife edges from one end of the field to the other, and a host of other maneuvers that come close to what you would get from a 3D aircraft with your flight plan, then I guess this could be considered "a flop".
As mentioned above, straight from the box, of the three aircrafts, the Funracer is by far the slowest.. However, the FunRacer is also the largest, but has the lightest wing loading. It also has the ability to accept a far larger motor and battery than the others. As many have mentioned before, the rather cramped space available to house your lipos in the V900 and EFxtra is a big negative (especially the V900). As previously stated here many times, we usually fly wide open the entire flight. So, your V900 may do 130mph, for a lap or 2. What?? Time to land.. The FunRacer can utilize some seriously huge lipos, which means far longer flight times. Flop?
I have never heard one story of a FunRacer wing folding in flight. In fact, I dont recall anyone posting any airframe failures (even though many are pushing it far harder the factory recommends). I cant recall how many people have had this happen in the V900 thread. Flop?
Electronics! It seems both the V900 and FunRacer have many reported issues in this area. Many reported ESC failures in the V900 that usually happens in flight, causing a complete loss of control (and inevitable crash). I believe you claimed this has happened to you Herr. Yes the FunRacer has also had some ESC issues, but those are usually not catastrophic. FunRacer owners will typically get a "stuttering". This stuttering I believe is caused by either bad solder joints on the bullet connectors, or the bullets themselves. In either case, I would rather have a (flying) stuttering aircraft , then a crashed one.
As far as motors, the EF's have more reported failures then CNN has fake news stories. I have not seen anyone use a 5s or larger on the FunRacer, but many are using 4s with no reports of failures. I would bet $ that the FunRacer motor/ESC would indeed handle 5s, and possibly beyond.
So Herr, please define "flop". If obtaining the highest MPH (if only for a few seconds) is your idea of a superior aircraft, then I have no argument.
There are now 4 FunRacer pilots at our field. 3 of these pilots are former EFxtra or V900 users. Doesn't sound remotely close to a "flop" to me. I think that if you actually had/flew a FunRacer, you would quickly abandon the others (as we have).
Last edited by seng30904; May 20, 2019 at 07:45 AM.
May 20, 2019, 12:03 PM
Julian T
I agree with seng's assessment. I almost bought a V900 but switched to a FR at the last moment. I have not regretted that decision at any time since purchase. I have flown the FR on 3, 4 and 5s with an 8x8 APCE prop and it flew fine (and fast) apart from ejecting the canopy on 5s. I had problems with the ESC which were not cured by resoldering bullets or any other means. In the end I proved (to my satisfaction at least) the problem was a faulty ESC. I hope to pick up a replacement shortly, preferably not the Multiplex offering which has lost credibility with me. Replacing with a Hobbywing cured all problems.

Is it as fast as a RareBear on 6s? No. Is it fast and extremely aerobatic? Yes. Does it have any apparent airframe weaknesses? No. Would I swap mine for a V900 or any flavour of the EF range? No.

Julian
May 20, 2019, 03:08 PM
Thanks Guys
May 21, 2019, 01:34 PM
I was going on the assumption that the Funracer was meant to pretty much be a direct competitor with the EFX planes and the V900. People were talking about it like that, as I recall. And I believe you, Seng, went to great lengths to make it super fast with a bunch of wizz-bang gimmickry thinking it would be a rocket ship, and .... well, that didn't work out too well as I recall.

"Flop" is maybe too harsh. But it's not too far off the mark I assume, if the best way you can refute it is too move the goal posts and say well it's meant for different things. If that is indeed the case, then fine. I don't doubt the airframe is good. But yeah, for those who do like the speed of a V900 on 4S(but would like it in a better, non-Horizon design..), it's not really going to scratch that itch. Which again is fine - just trying to get a better handle on the options.

So it's kind of disappointing - the old Horizon discontinues the Rare Bear, a really great airframe. HK comes out with the EFX planes - which for the money are really excellent IMVHO. Then comes the V900, which despite it's nice stock speed and quietness, is pretty much a train wreck of a desgin afaic. I had thought the Funracer was meant to be a contender in this group, but apparently not. Which is fine. I'm sure people are still having fun with it and that's all that matters.. I don't think I'd buy one though, given the somewhat elevated price, reputation for dodgy electronics, slow stock speed, need to order special spinners etc., and the notion I get at least from this thread that even with power upgrades it still won't really be that fast. I don't have too many huge batteries - mostly 4S 1800-2200, so I don't care about fitting in 4S 5000s or whatever...(though I do have a couple of those for my 8ths scale E-truggies...)
May 21, 2019, 04:15 PM
Herr, no one moved the goal-post. You just showed up at the wrong field
May 21, 2019, 04:49 PM
I think the FunRacer was a rip off at $180 or so when it came out, given it's so similar to the dogfighter. But at $129 PNP it might worth a try if you are bored of the EFX and V900 line.
May 23, 2019, 12:33 AM
The white one here is €150 - which isn't really all that bad. Though I guess worse when you consider the need to replace the ESC, motor, and spinner. Plus I have sort of kind of gotten into painting cheap foamies with spray cans.. The thing is, I already have a Rare Bear, V900, EFXtra, and new EFX Racer though. And lots of 4S 1800-2200s, and several 5S 2200s. I do believe it's an airframe which flies well, but what with needing to replace both the motor and ESC, and the airframe (probably, I'm assuming...) seriously limiting speed potential, I'm not sure.. So I sort of have to squint to see the real attraction of this plane for me. Not really seeing it yet.

If the EFXs on 5S were about the same noise level as the V900, I think I'd be fine.. Honestly, I'm not sure the V900 really does fly all that great(-er than my other planes). The sound though is very appealing for some reason - I guess just being different from my other planes. It's kind of jet-like whooshy, whereas the EFXs are shrieking banshees (a cool sound btw, but I just worry about drawing too much attention, annoying people at their weekend garden properties , etc..) It probably doesn't fly all that differently from the EFXs.

I don't fly the Rare Bear very much at all. Couple times a year. It requires bigger oddball batteries (for my hangar), and is just somehow awkward and bulky to lug around.. It's all around better quality and better designed than the V900 IMO, but it's just cumbersome I find. And the big battery thing is actually a pretty big minus for me. I have 7-8 planes which take 4S 1800-2200, so I have a lot of those batteries, but only one other really which can share batteries with the Rare Bear(the Sonic 1213mm wing.. Well maybe okay the Ranger 1600 too, but that's kind of apples and oranges..) I am planning on getting 1-2 of the new 50C(apparently true 50C) Rhino 4S 3300 batteries though.. (to go with my two Tattu 4S 3700s and one SLS 4S 3000) Mostly for longer flight times in the Ranger and Sonic Wing. Still, feels very limiting in the context of what all I have in terms of planes and batteries now. (too much of both... )
May 23, 2019, 02:14 AM
Lets get to the bottom of it.
Then we can move past it and forward....if lucky.

Anyone else has new comments and opinions on this airframe versus other airframes?
Maybe comments on this bird versus F27 Evo, or Funjet, or Reno racer.

Ideally we can hear thoughts from new contributors who may be shy.
Also to new folks with low post counts: Share your thoughts!!!

Lets air it all out and get a moderator's help to make it a sticky for quick reference (with links to these valuable thoughts/tips/info).

G.
May 23, 2019, 07:56 AM
You down with EPP?
After a 6 month break from the hobby, I have pulled my FR back out and plan to finally get it in the air in the next few weeks.

I have the stock motor I plan on flying with a 4s 3300mah and I have a Mega I plan on flying with a 6s 3600mah.

I am looking forward to seeing how it flies.
May 23, 2019, 03:16 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Herrsavage- While there have been some reports of bad ESC's and maybe a motor or two, the overwhelming majority are functioning as they should so there should be no need to replace them unless you are looking to add crazy power. I have flown this model out of the box on 4S 2700's with an 8x8 prop with the stock spinner and it is very fast and fun! At the price we are selling the white version for, it is a great bang for the buck! https://www.weekenderwarehouse.com/f...white-edition/

Mike Mayberry
Hitec/Multiplex USA

Quick Reply