This thread is privately moderated by hobiepilot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 01, 2018, 05:26 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

New Old Guy?? LOL Click Continue for the rest..

Hi everyone!
I've been a reader of many bits here on the forums, and finding good information without even loggin in. So I've not been a seriously active member here, and don't have enough time to post many messages to the forums. I have helped many in the R/C hobby.. for a long time now. My first R/C plane was a Goldberg Skylane 42, with a Golden Bee. I had to buy kits to assemble the radios, because my paper route didn't make me very much money. Despite that, in today's dollars, I had the equivalent of $1200 invested.. in a single channel rig with rudder only, and a rubber band powered escapement. My World Engines Mule II transmitter kit didn't work when assembled. Really hard to find highly experienced 15 year old electronic technicians back then. But the super-regen receiver on 27 mega-cycles (before they changed it to Hertz), DID work fine.. at picking up every CB radio within 5 miles. So I borrowed a Citizens-Ship transmitter. The 90V batteries cost $60 as I recall in 1966 dollars!! They were needed to operate the vacuum tubes inside the 15 lb transmitter. With all of that "technology".. who would have guessed, the planes usually just flew away.. and a bunch of kids and I would track them down, thru cornfields and bean fields. Once the Skylane caught a good thermal and flew off, and ended up in power lines 8 miles away. And I got it back!!! Well, I could bore all of you with stories from the good ole days.. but I'm pretty sure no one will read this anyway.

I did work at a great hobby shop for several years in High School, helping many get into the hobby. I signed up for 4 years in the middle of the "stupid war"... and I got 2 other guys to go in on a big order, and we all assembled World Engines proportional outfits while in Vietnam! My Hawk 460.. was the first plane, that would do it all, without failures. Inverted flight? SURE!! Wow.. pretty cool when it all worked like it was designed to do! Later I formed a club and taught 80% of the members to fly AND build. Well today.. just getting back into the hobby from a long break, I'm trading in my IC engines and big kits for LiPos and brushless motors.. and they are getting smaller.. and slower.. so the grand-kids can keep up with them. The day will probably arrive, when they find drones instead. And I'll cut them out of my will! LOL Just kidding...

So.. if anyone out there has a 6 channel reed outfit "on the fritz", or intermittent servos the size (AND WEIGHT!) of a wall-wart, or needs to know how to tune a radio.. or make Galloping Ghost actually work.. I'll recommend a good shrink instead. I may need one too, having bought one each of most of the old radios I had way back when. It's been one amazingly interesting and rewarding hobby.. and it's still kicking!! It's just amazing to have a servo in a blister pack, where the bubble and the cardboard weighs significantly more than the servo!! Cool stuff!!

Best Wishes to all... Jerry
Last edited by hobiepilot; Mar 28, 2020 at 12:32 AM. Reason: minor typos
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2019, 07:44 PM
Thread OP

Various pics

Various photos.. some are photos of OLD photos. One shows internals of a transmitter that Gatafish has posted, showing the same motor driven pulser that I used in 67(?) to make my own GG outfit, with my Mule II as the transmitter. It worked great, until the spinning motor... didn't.. and my Jr Falcon came to a bad ending. Others? A modified Olympic 650, and a cockpit photo. A CG Skylane 62 from 1975. A World Engines Hawk 460 circa 1985.. and my own design, which I called ShortFuse. Had big inset ailerons pivot on torque tubes, flew really well, with a ST 45 ABC. Very light with wing non-removable. Canopy floor forward came off to expose gear and tank.
Last edited by hobiepilot; Mar 23, 2020 at 05:25 PM. Reason: add
Mar 15, 2019, 09:32 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiepilot
Photos of Min-X Pulsmite 1200 transmitter and Superhet 1200 receiver
Yeah, Me too. I have owned and flown just about every known brand out there. My first single channel was a hard tube Babcock single channel CW tx on a vangaurd with cox .049... May as well been a free flight for the most part. started in the Mid 50s, and Wife joined me in 1959 as an active flyer... Be 60 years in March. Hey Murf, Binding is not a problem here in Gitmo, but smuggling in Lipos and chargers is harder than the drugs they have...
Nov 22, 2019, 04:54 PM
Gots me a good used Hobie Hawk

Congrats

Enjoyed your blog . Flew free flight then in '76 got a Hobie Hawk and taught my self how to Rc, switched to Hang Gliders for 40 years quit that now back to Hobie Hawks and casual free flight , full circle.
Mar 06, 2020, 10:20 PM
Thread OP

Rearwin Speedster Revision anyone??

I recently found a Jetco Rearwin Speedster kit.. which only contained the die-cut sheets. But I have a small balsa forest in my work room, so no worries there. And.. I plan to revise the kit, to approximate a recent Oshkosh Grand Champion Light Plane winner, called the Bellaire SE, designed and mostly built by Rick Berstling. It is one beautiful airplane!! It would be hard to improve on the lines of the Speedster, but Rick has done that! I'll post a side view drawing and one or two photos of the Bellaire as well. Hopefully I can get on the project soon.. but the Honey-do list is not without important entries. Life happens. Jerry
Last edited by hobiepilot; Mar 09, 2020 at 02:06 AM. Reason: typos
Mar 06, 2020, 11:03 PM
Thread OP
An new view of the Bellaire
Mar 13, 2020, 09:57 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Just ran across your blog Hobie. I had seen some of your post to St. Martin (Fuzz). I didn't get started as early as you did. I didn't get into the hobby until 1970ish. I was a brand new SSgt in the USAF. I looked at the Heathkit radio but decided that it was over my head. I bought a World Engines propo 2 or 3 channel (don't remember which) with a couple of servos. I tried putting that into a Guillows Cessna 172 with a Cox .049. All I got there was a very high speed taxi across a parking lot. Sold that radio and invested in a MRC 5 channel and put that into a Dumas Evolution. Crashed that and destroyed it. Next I built a Goldberg Falcon 56 and eventually put an Enya .19 in it. Found a local club where they taught me to fly. I literally flew the wings off that Falcon 56 but that's another story.

And, yes, reference post #1, somebody is reading this.

Tony
Mar 14, 2020, 10:52 PM
Thread OP

Ah.. the famous Falcon 56!!

Tony.. Well you put a smile on my face.. for a number of reasons. That "crash and burn" way of learning to do R/C for one! The trusty Falcon 56.. of which I had several iterations.. AND the number of times I drove down the Western KY parkway (or before that, crossing the river in Evansville), to visit Big Bear Camp on KY lake.. just about every year! Great place.

Wanna swap crash stories? Take one, semi-tired Falcon 56.. it was truly ugly.. but MINE! I'd bought it from someone in our club. I owned two engines, so naturally I put the Enya .19 V and took to flying it. It did OK.. before the snow hit Indianapolis. Well.. THAT won't work! So I dug out a pair of heavy blow-molded pontoons.. and bolted them onto it. Ok.. so now it's too heavy but to do fast taxi in the snow (sounds like your 170). All righty then.. what about this Super Tigre FORTY!! I think I lost 3 fingers one day trying to start it in the cold! For those that don't know the Falcon, it could be flown on a worn out .09.. so this was now A LETHAL ROCKET! Sure enough, it came off the snow alright.. and was doing about 90 MPH, before the cold got ahold of the battery, or the receiver, or the junk elevator servo? I know my thumbs were working overtime, when it started doing loops.. way across the field. Hey.. LOOPS can be cool.. except for the tall trees.. which it somehow avoided. One loopie.. two loops.. I have the transmitter over my head, antenna straight up.. hoping on hope it will listen to my commands. Ya know what they say about 3rd time's a charm? Wide open, it nailed this tree.. right on the prop nut, and the ol Falcon EXPLODED into a million pieces.. except for the wing, that was now silently doing that slow flutter to the floor of the woods. ..... oh..... I don't think there were any survivors!! I mean.. it COULD have burst into flames.. or hit someone's car windshield instead.. but no.. just balsa shavings.. and small chunks of my pride.. strewn about.... ABOUT EVERYWHERE!

Well.. some days.. weeks, months later.. having traded the Citizen-ship junk proportional for a good ol tired reed outfit.. and a new scratch fuselage.. with the little Enya that could.. a battery wire broke right after take off, and in that 20 knot south wind.. it flew off to Kokomo, from Westfield, all by it's self.. and yet somehow.. I got it back! And just like yours, I proceeded to run gallons of glow fuel thru it. Ya just can't build character the same way.. with a throw away foamie, out of a box. I can still remember blipping that thing for a beautiful flared landing!

Tune in next time.. for another exciting 1st flight adventure.. with a soon-to-be flat-line unhealthy Heathkit radio.. and a screamin' Top Flite P-51.. flown from I-465 before it opened. Spoiler alert.. NO SURVIVORS!!
Mar 15, 2020, 09:56 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
I can't tell a Falcon .56 story quite as good as that one but here goes.

I had torn the elevator assembly off of my Falcon many times and each time I would use 5 minute epoxy to reattach the fuel soaked parts back on and fly it some more. Then a few days before I deployed to Saigon, I was home on leave and flying out of a cow pasture with surrounding woods. At some point, the elevator assembly departed the airplane and it went into a dive straight for the woods. It went like an arrow through a sycamore tree, destroying the wing in the tree and the fuselage when it hit the ground. I was able to salvage all of the radio parts, fuel tank and engine (Enya .19) and they all went on live other lives in other airplanes.

FWIW, my Falcon started life with an Enya .15 in Las Vegas but the field elevation there proved a little too much for the .15. It would take off but anything other the very shallowest of turns produced a stall. An upgrade to a .19 solved that problem. It became the perfect trainer and I learned a lot of aerobatics with it. I could do the neatest barrel rolls with just elevator and rudder. And I learned to land. Over and over and over. I still love doing touch and goes. I figure it this way; take offs and landings are mandatory, learn them as best as you can. Everything in between the take off and landing is just gravy.

Oh, and if you ever drove down US 60 to Kentucky Lake, you went right through my little home town.

Tony
Mar 15, 2020, 09:03 PM
Thread OP

Too long ago

Realizing that a paper route would NOT support my dependents at 16... (a Skylane 42, and then a Jr Falcon).. I got a job at a hobby shop in Indy. One day this guy walks in.. and as usual he asks questions which I tried to answer.. and eventually I asked what he was flying or building. He says, a Top Flite P-51, with a blue head Super Tigre 60. Holy cow!! I was impressed that he had that much experience.. until he said it was his very first RC!! He had ZERO RC experience.. so I convinced him it would be re-kitted very quickly, if he didn't have someone to help him fly it. After a few minutes, for whatever reason, *I* became the chosen test pilot. I insisted it was way beyond my experience.. but that didn't matter!

We took it out to the I-465 construction.. and realized he had the tail wheel action reversed.. so we disconnected the push-rod, and made it solid, with whatever we had available. He had put together the light blue version of Heathkits 4 or 5 channel radio. It appeared to be working ok. We fired it up, and I tried to get it down the road. It was all over the place.. just like the real one I suppose. We quickly decided, he would have to run along with it on the concrete, holding the tail straight, until it got up to effective rudder speed. Yeah, it was looking like Laurel and Hardy for sure! 2nd attempt not much better than the first.. but on the 3rd try, and several zig-zags, I got it off the pavement. And it looked a lot more like a horizontal rocket than a airplane at that point. Before I could pull it back it was several hundred feet high. I did a easy turn.. and ... it started rolling and heading for the bean field below. I couldn't stop the roll, couldn't cut the throttle either. It augured in!! Big time. This was all of 5 or 6 seconds after it broke ground... to.. uh.. BREAK GROUND again!! And just as quickly I realized, I'd be found in a pool of blood, along side the highway somewhere, seeing the transmitter there in MY HANDS! He turns around from his take-off jog.. and jumps up in the air yelling, "IT FLEW!!... IT FLEW!!" WHAT kind of guy had I just MET anyway? He had to know I was as crushed... as his shiny now-not-so-new airplane.

We looked and looked.. couldn't find it. Next morning, he rents a flight, and asks if I want to go along. INSTEAD of being THROWN from the plane.. we actually spotted the.. uh... crash site. In no time we had recovered the Silver Monokote covered splinters. The radio was intact, but NOT working. He sent it off to Heathkit, and they even found transistors in the transmitter that were fried. I felt a little better. I knew I hadn't rolled it.. (or stalled it) and for a few seconds I had it just fine. (Famous last words!) Well.. we go to the next club meeting.. and there is a really ugly, sad looking H-Ray for sale. He gets this grin on his face and says, "I'll buy it, YOU rebuild it, and WE'LL fly it!" And so began the demise of one OS Max 19, that was completely consumed well before we stopped flying that plane. But more importantly.. a life long friendship had been bound up, by RC PTSD, and the equally successful cure! We were best buds for 50 years before he passed. How lucky can a guy be, to have found that kind of a friend and friendship!?!? Sorely missed.. and never to be forgotten!
Mar 26, 2020, 10:22 PM
turkeyfeet
Quote:
Various photos.. some are photos of OLD photos. One shows internals of a transmitter that Gatafish has posted, showing the same motor driven pulser that I used in 67(?) to make my own GG outfit, with my Mule II as the transmitter. It worked great, until the spinning motor... didn't.. and my Jr Falcon came to a bad ending. Others? A modified Olympic 650, and a cockpit photo. A CG Skylane 62 from 1975. A World Engines Hawk 460 circa 1985.. and my own design, which I called ShortFuse. Had big inset ailerons pivot on torque tubes, flew really well, with a ST 45 ABC. Very light with wing non-removable. Canopy floor forward came off to expose gear and tank.
How did you like the Skylane 62 ? Was she a good flyer? I have the kit stashed away and I might build it someday.
Latest blog entry: video
Mar 27, 2020, 01:50 PM
Thread OP
Pathfinder..
I have another 62 kit stashed away myself. I should probably build it.. I always loved Goldbergs models. As to a Review? It's mixed. But it really depends on what type of flying or building you enjoy most. Having been designed in the 60s I'd guess, it was built to withstand some abuse, and to haul MUCH heavier R/C gear, or be flown single channel w/rudder only. By today's standards, it's over built.. but it all went together very well. There is something about taking that basic assembled fuse, and to start sanding and shaping, and to have the contours emerge.. so realisticlly. NOTHING boxy about this model!! I suspect it could be edited to be significantly lighter if flown electric. But THAT really isn't required! I'm pretty sure I put a OS 30 FP on mine. And that was more than enough power. It had a lot of wing, that was basically Clark Y, so I could slow it down very easily. It looked like the real thing in the air, but it had more dihedral than needed. And as with any high lift wing, sharp maneuvers, or high throttle would cause it to balloon up a little. With so much TX mixing available today, I would certainly mix in slight down elevator, with the upper half of the throttle range, to resolve much of that. If it is flown as "scale" it was perfect! Pretty sure, with enclosed brushless, less dihedral, minimal edits to make it lighter, you could soar with it! And how many SCALE models can say that!?!?

If I were to put this one together, I would use outboard mini servos for each aileron. The pushrods and bellcranks worked fine, but that complexity and slight weight not needed with a small concealed servo, and short links. I'd take out some of the dihedral.. because it didn't need that much, and secondly, it might have been the ONLY thing, which didn't look quite right, from a scale POV. I'd add K&S aluminum struts, with mini ball joints to snap them into place. And wing mounting screws would also be desirable over rubber bands. I've also thought about building a second scratch wing, with full symmetrical, or even the Falcon airfoil, which flew inverted quite well.. to make it a bit more sporty, and yet still LOOK beautiful in the air or on the ground. With a enclosed Brushless, it would look like a real one for sure, and be a joy to fly.

On several occasions.. my first RC.. my Skylane 42 was flown intentionally as a free flight (when the radio wasn't working).. OR even when it was supposed to be! The Golden Bee ran out of fuel about 300 ft, and it caught a thermal. The escapement rubber ran out, and the plane kept climbing and disappeared into a cloud base OOS! Duh.. must be a Goldberg!! LOL Like some kind of miracle, it was recovered.. only (?) 8 miles away.
Mar 30, 2020, 02:53 PM
turkeyfeet
Quote:
Pathfinder..
I have another 62 kit stashed away myself. I should probably build it.. I always loved Goldbergs models. As to a Review? It's mixed. But it really depends on what type of flying or building you enjoy most. Having been designed in the 60s I'd guess, it was built to withstand some abuse, and to haul MUCH heavier R/C gear, or be flown single channel w/rudder only. By today's standards, it's over built.. but it all went together very well. There is something about taking that basic assembled fuse, and to start sanding and shaping, and to have the contours emerge.. so realisticlly. NOTHING boxy about this model!! I suspect it could be edited to be significantly lighter if flown electric. But THAT really isn't required! I'm pretty sure I put a OS 30 FP on mine. And that was more than enough power. It had a lot of wing, that was basically Clark Y, so I could slow it down very easily. It looked like the real thing in the air, but it had more dihedral than needed. And as with any high lift wing, sharp maneuvers, or high throttle would cause it to balloon up a little. With so much TX mixing available today, I would certainly mix in slight down elevator, with the upper half of the throttle range, to resolve much of that. If it is flown as "scale" it was perfect! Pretty sure, with enclosed brushless, less dihedral, minimal edits to make it lighter, you could soar with it! And how many SCALE models can say that!?!?

If I were to put this one together, I would use outboard mini servos for each aileron. The pushrods and bellcranks worked fine, but that complexity and slight weight not needed with a small concealed servo, and short links. I'd take out some of the dihedral.. because it didn't need that much, and secondly, it might have been the ONLY thing, which didn't look quite right, from a scale POV. I'd add K&S aluminum struts, with mini ball joints to snap them into place. And wing mounting screws would also be desirable over rubber bands. I've also thought about building a second scratch wing, with full symmetrical, or even the Falcon airfoil, which flew inverted quite well.. to make it a bit more sporty, and yet still LOOK beautiful in the air or on the ground. With a enclosed Brushless, it would look like a real one for sure, and be a joy to fly.

On several occasions.. my first RC.. my Skylane 42 was flown intentionally as a free flight (when the radio wasn't working).. OR even when it was supposed to be! The Golden Bee ran out of fuel about 300 ft, and it caught a thermal. The escapement rubber ran out, and the plane kept climbing and disappeared into a cloud base OOS! Duh.. must be a Goldberg!! LOL Like some kind of miracle, it was recovered.. only (?) 8 miles away.
Thanks for the reply. Lot's of good info in your reply. I have been around r/c airplanes since the very early sixties, dad was an excellent builder,flyer. I learned a lot from him. I have flown most everything so the "62" should be just plain fun. Yes Carl Goldberg models are some of the best. The Goldberg hardware has always been one my favorites too. If I ever get around to building it I have an old OS H35 to go on it. With the virus outbreak we cannot fly at our field right now, so started building a Joe Bridi Big Bee. It's a big airplane. I had all the stuff to go on it ,pushrods, Zenoah 38 ,smoke system servo;s ,fuel tanks etc.
Your name on here is Hobiepilot . Do you fly some Hobie brand airplanes? I just aquired a vintage Hobie Hawk sailplane. Also what is the name pattern type airplane in the various pics you posted? 8 miles away? Wow! I remember my dad telling me stories like that. And I can vaguely remember chasing a few with him.
Last edited by pathfinder; Mar 30, 2020 at 03:06 PM.
Mar 31, 2020, 05:15 PM
Thread OP
My dad was a model builder too.. not the best teacher. But he was a doer. When I was about 8, he started building a 16' family runabout. It looked like a drag boat, with a slightly deeper draft. Mahogany all over it.. we got LOTS of looks! He then found a tornado damaged Chief, that was upside down against a hangar.. (the pics are taken from other pics, not the best). He traded a movie projector and $50 for it, and the bent prop. Sold the prop for $50 the next day, so ZERO cash investment. Well we started rebuilding it. New Irish linen cover, I did all the painting, and panel work, and more. The guy who bought the engine, put it in a Champ.. but ran it off the runway, and destroyed the fuse. So we bought back our original engine, and a set of wings for $600!! Long story short.. we did that one, then a 1956 Cessna 170 rebuild, and later when I was working avionics at KBMG, I found another storm flipped 150.. where the owner lost the battle with the FBO who was at fault. Got it for a song too. Well, when you grow up, building boats, or rebuilding airplanes in the garage, or then putting ribs together for dads own design Experimental.. while watching TV?? Kinda sets you up for a life involving aviation, models, and a can-do attitude. RIP dad!

Having found BLDC.. no oil, no balky starts when it's cold.. a brushless under the cowl, would really serve the 62 well.. but I'm not much for arm twisting, or strong biases. You will have plenty of power! Sorry to hear you can't fly right now. But, *I'M* building!! And it sounds like you have a major project yourself!

I was the Commodore of the IU Sailing Club, and taught many students, as the primary Hobie Cat instructor. I've had 8 of em I think since 1982. It will haul 4 or more, is raced with 2.. but I would single-hand mine often.. and that meant usually out on the trapeze wire, flying a hull.. which to the uninitiated, feels just like flying! And since I'm also a pilot, it seems like a good handle. Hobie Alter, was a real doer and innovator himself. The sailplane, and a huge line of cats.. all good! I damaged my shoulder in 2013, so I could no longer step that 25' mast. Time to quit.

I added some captions to the pics. White w/3 color trim, was a World Engines Hawk 460. My 2nd one. 1st one built in Vietnam. But this one had super thin glass applied over the whole airplane. The flame red, was my own design. Big inset ailerons, on torque tubes. Tail wheel built into the bottom of the rudder. Wing was non-removable, so it was light, with a ST 45 ABC. Flew really great!

Skylane 42.. 8 miles as a free flight!! True. I was flying off of the taxi way, at Indy Metro airport, Castleton area. My buddy and "R/C guru guide" Dave "said" one of the flight instructors saw it in the power lines on his way home.. and recovered it with borrowed cane poles taped together! (Yeah, Kids, Do not attempt.. it can FRY YOU in place!) I'd be more inclined to think Dave took off in his Cub with a radio in hand, and HE spotted it, and advised the instructor on the ground. With his dad owning the airport, he might have pulled some strings. I don't know for sure, but I DID get it back!
Last edited by hobiepilot; May 27, 2020 at 06:57 PM.

Quick Reply