Name This 2 Meter/Spectrum refurb. - Page 5 - RC Groups
Feb 20, 2018, 07:30 PM
If you're worried about structure and strength, I suppose you could lay in some light CF weave before putting the servos in but I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Just get you some wing servo covers, tape them on and you're good to go.

https://alofthobbies.com/accessories/servo-covers.html
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2018, 09:23 PM
Faster is Better
Good point Bob.

I have the first aileron servo mounts installed.

Not to bad, a little time consuming, but hey, it's a hobby, right.

The cutouts for the servo arm is the main offender, so aerodynamic covers may be the best option.

Another option is getting the controls rigged and seeing where I can fill in cutouts with scrap wood.

The third option is to say the heck with it and just fly it.
Latest blog entry: LEG Fat Albert Take 2
Feb 20, 2018, 09:41 PM
Faster is Better
I'm getting there.
Feb 21, 2018, 06:52 PM
Faster is Better
Repainted nose. Turned out better this time.

Back to the wing servo installations.

Redundant pictures? Yes, but I use my threads as a reference.
Last edited by Slopemaster; Feb 21, 2018 at 07:00 PM.
Feb 22, 2018, 07:06 PM
Good job on the nose. Looks much better.

Two questions.......

1) In the picture of the wing servo pocket with the servo not in there, in reference to the ply floor, is that the top sheeting, or an extra (laser cut) doubler?
If it's just the top sheeting, like I said, you 'might' want to lay in a layer of light CF to give some reinforcement to the top sheeting if it feels a little weak when putting some flex pressure on the top of the wing. If there is none, or it's very small, I'd say forget it, since this model isn't going to used for hard pull ups.

2) Those hard points you put in for the servo screws to screw into are hard wood not balsa, right? If they are balsa, and you are going to leave them there, I would at least squirt a small amount of thin CA in the threads to harden them.

Like I said, I wouldn't worry about the extra space around the servo arms. Just get the servo covers and that'll take care of that. Arms should be aft for flaps and forward for ailerons to get the max throw for each. So long as structurally it's fine, you're good. Sounds like where you fly, that you'd want the added protection for the wing linkages anyway.
Feb 22, 2018, 09:35 PM
Faster is Better
The floor of the servo pocket is a piece of 1/32" ply that was epoxied to the wing skin. Did I do it or previous owner? I don't know, last time I really played with this glider was 1996.

Due to the thin 10mm servos, which are mounted flush with the wing bottom, there about a 3/16"space between servo and top wing skin.

All the servo mount rails that I added for the new KST servos are 3/16"x 3/8" basswood.

Also I didn't mention before, but I added small piece of basswood for bottom servo mount tab support. This was necessary so the servo wouldn't rock up and down.

The servo mounts in the right wing panel are pretty much done.

I'm gonna have to custom cut the servo screw length so they don't penetrate the top wing skin.

Servo covers are a good idea, but I hate to cover up the nice looking servos.

My intention is to only fly the glider at rock free sites. Of course this eliminates most of my slopes.
Last edited by Slopemaster; Feb 22, 2018 at 10:03 PM.
Feb 26, 2018, 11:10 PM
Faster is Better
Servos installed in left wing.

Now that the wing servo mounts are completed, I can start with flap & aileron rigging.

Servo mount system wasn't to hard to do, just time consuming.
Feb 27, 2018, 06:14 AM
Sure like those servos, and they're not terribly expensive.
Feb 27, 2018, 12:58 PM
Faster is Better
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2bob
Sure like those servos, and they're not terribly expensive.
I like KST servos and they were cheaper than the Hitec HS85MG; IMO, a much better servo.
Last edited by Slopemaster; Feb 27, 2018 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Grammar
Mar 03, 2018, 07:05 PM
Faster is Better
Got the bottom wing tips touched up. They had some rash.

Think I finally got the flap servo programming figured out. What a PITA, don't ask me to explain.

Next will be wing servo installation. Once I determine servo deflection, I may be able to fill in part of the cutouts so they aren't so big.

Stay tuned.
Mar 04, 2018, 03:04 AM
Please explain
Mar 04, 2018, 10:36 AM
Obsessed
Ken, you are the servo pocket master!
Latest blog entry: Photos
Mar 04, 2018, 08:53 PM
Faster is Better
Thanks guys.

I hate to admit it, but this is the one and only full house, six servo glider I have owned. I'm not in a big rush to get it done, but it will be ready before summer.
Mar 05, 2018, 01:04 AM
Faster is Better
Aileron servos are installed and rigged.

Next will be the flaps.
Mar 05, 2018, 09:55 PM
Faster is Better

Heat shrink

I was in such a hurry last night, I forgot to heat shrink the aileron servo extensions.

It's a little insurance in case the lead gets tugged on at the wing root. Also keeps it plugged in when I pull back out.

Quick Reply