Name This 2 Meter/Spectrum refurb. - Page 4 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 14, 2018, 09:30 PM
Faster is Better
Bob, Jim,

Thanks for the support.

Yes I could just tape servos in the wing but a prefer to screw in.

The servos are indeed thinner than the wing but they will be flush with wing when I'm done.

Refer to my FA build thread.
Latest blog entry: LEG Fat Albert Take 2
to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2018, 09:34 PM
Faster is Better
Borrowed the battery out of my FA just to test fit and it's fits great.

Trust me, I wish standard or even mini servos fit in this glider.

Standard servos are cheap and strong.
Feb 14, 2018, 10:22 PM
Faster is Better
This project probably appears to be quite a departure for me on RCG, since most of my threads are EPP related.

I have my eye on a couple foamie (EPP) projects, but I'm gonna have to eat PBJ for awhile longer.

After I get the Spectrum project under control, I'm gonna really depart and build a gas bag; If I can stay motivated

Probably won't do a step by step build log on it, too many parts. I will use the thermal section for that project.
Feb 14, 2018, 11:18 PM
JimN8UAY
I'm following along since I have a Spectrum 2M and a Prism 3M, both T tails that I converted to mid fin plug-in stabs. Although both fuses are currently in 2 pieces and I'll need to revisit wings, it's on the back burner to revive these birds. The 2M Spectrum was an awesome thermal flyer with a great speed range after I built a new set of wings. The Spectrum met its demise trying to DS it at Parker Mnt and the Prism exploded on a way too strong F3J two-man tow. Both crashes were pretty spectacular!

Back to spectating!

Jim
Latest blog entry: Speaker mod for the Taranis.
Feb 15, 2018, 12:31 AM
Faster is Better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimn8uay
I'm following along since I have a Spectrum 2M and a Prism 3M, both T tails that I converted to mid fin plug-in stabs. Although both fuses are currently in 2 pieces and I'll need to revisit wings, it's on the back burner to revive these birds. The 2M Spectrum was an awesome thermal flyer with a great speed range after I built a new set of wings. The Spectrum met its demise trying to DS it at Parker Mnt and the Prism exploded on a way too strong F3J two-man tow. Both crashes were pretty spectacular!

Back to spectating!

Jim
Jim,

Thanks for your input.

This glider has obeche skinned wings, so I certainly won't try any DS with it.

I'd like to slope it, but most of our LZ's are rocky and ,if the glider goes down below the cliff face, it's over for sure! That's why I focus on EPP gliders. I do have a couple of slopes that have LZ's that may be doable. It would be good to slope it, so I can focus on getting to know the glider, rather than worrying about keeping it up.

It's a great looking glider and should be used rather than sitting in my closet. That's why I'm splurging on nice servo's. If I do end up shredding it, the servos will work very well in a EPP PSS ship.

My friends and I have decided to try and do some thermal this summer. The winds typically calm down during the summer here. It's looking like we will have access to a couple of sod farms too.

I don't know what it weighs yet, but I suspect it's pretty heavy. I like your idea of the mid-tail. I had thought about converting to a V-tail simply to reduce weight and add durability. The fin repair wasn't bad this time and the T-tail looks really cool.

Ken
Feb 15, 2018, 12:38 AM
Faster is Better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimn8uay
The 2M Spectrum was an awesome thermal flyer with a great speed range after I built a new set of wings.

Jim
Jim, what airfoil does/did your Spectrum 2M have?

Mine has a SD3021.

I read that there was a RG15 option too.
Feb 15, 2018, 10:26 AM
JimN8UAY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopemaster
Jim, what airfoil does/did your Spectrum 2M have?

Mine has a SD3021.

I read that there was a RG15 option too.
I don't recall what the original specs were but I redid the wings using the SD7037. I sheeted those with obechi over a layer of 2oz carbon uniweave over grey foam (25psi) I had years ago and it was nearly bulletproof, light and thermaled well...until I tried the DS thing.

Now I'm going to have to pull out those pieces and see what trouble I can get into...as soon as I finish up the Samurai rebuild...and umpteen other projects

I bet the RG 15 would be a might quick airfoil to fly! The 3021 is a pretty good foil, too. I think the 2M Banshee of yesterday also used this foil well.

Jim
Latest blog entry: Speaker mod for the Taranis.
Feb 15, 2018, 11:33 AM
Faster is Better
Thanks Jim, I hope you can give your Spectrum a new life.
Feb 17, 2018, 03:16 PM
Faster is Better
Received my wing servos today.

Guess it's time to get to work.
Feb 17, 2018, 06:17 PM
Faster is Better

Paint

Got the fuselage painted. Turned out decent for spraying outside in the wind at 45 degrees. A little orange peal in areas.

Nose cone not so well. Paint wrinkled in a couple of areas. Must have had some wax or something that I didn't get removed.

I'll wait a couple of days and try again on the nose cone.

This glider is gonna be heavy. I have no clue what the normal target weight is.
Feb 18, 2018, 01:34 AM
Ideally? Probably around 43-49oz.'s.

What is yours weighing in at?
Feb 18, 2018, 01:16 PM
Faster is Better
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2bob
Ideally? Probably around 43-49oz.'s.

What is yours weighing in at?
I don't know yet what my Spectrum weighs. It's disassembled right now.

I will weigh it and post, when I get it back together.
Feb 20, 2018, 10:54 AM
auto-tune remix
I've been running into the same issue with Rustoleum. Let it sit in a warm spot so it out-gasses. I'd wait at least 48 hours between recoats.
Feb 20, 2018, 01:48 PM
Faster is Better
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno
I've been running into the same issue with Rustoleum. Let it sit in a warm spot so it out-gasses. I'd wait at least 48 hours between recoats.
I wet-sanded the nose cone after waiting about 4 days from painting.

I'll give it another try.
Last edited by Slopemaster; Feb 20, 2018 at 01:55 PM.
Feb 20, 2018, 01:53 PM
Faster is Better
Working on servo installation.

I have a pretty good solution using two mounting screws and no tape. Unfortunately if I do it that way I will have gaps.

The glider has been through 2-3 owners and several different servos, so the cutouts have grown.

Quick Reply