Name This 2 Meter/Spectrum refurb. - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 02, 2018, 12:06 AM
Faster is Better

Fin repair

Working on fitting a hardwood patch plug for the vertical LE.

I cleaned up the LE hole damage first.

It had a fillet originally but where the hole was, the filler had shattered.

Using servo screw with grommet to hold patch plug in position.

There was delamination above hole but fillet material is ok. So when I epoxy patch plug in, I will also rebond adjacent area with glue.

I also included picture of elevator control horn.

I took a good look at the elevator bellcrank assembly and it looks fine and secure. Easy to inspect thanks to LE hole using a flashlight.
Latest blog entry: LEG Fat Albert Take 2
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2018, 12:57 AM
Faster is Better
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno
90 degree flaps really slow a plane down. Just have your elevator compensation program cued up. Get some altitude and hit the flaps- it'll probably pitch up, so try again with some down compensation mixed in. Repeat and try a landing pass.

I think this is the molded Spectrum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzO-KypHWZw
4:30 is a great landing. Some of our local slopes appear in the video.
Video showed some impressive landing. Thanks for posting.

With flaps you can certainly slow the glider down.
Feb 02, 2018, 02:12 AM
auto-tune remix
I just dug mine out of the rafters. I can't find the wingrod, but that's easy. Weren't they 11/32"?

I was able to reduce some slop in the elevator linkage by replacing the output arm- the old one was loose on the splines. I can also feel the Dubro cable flopping inside the fuse , so I'm cutting a foam plug to push the cable against the inside of the fuse.

I also found out the elevator notch at the top of the vertical stab wasn't cut forward enough- so down elevator wanted to bind. I sanded forward and it works better. The two ancient Airtronics 141's in the fuse have Airtronics connectors- but I have adaptors and they work fine.
Feb 02, 2018, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno
90 degree flaps really slow a plane down. Just have your elevator compensation program cued up. Get some altitude and hit the flaps- it'll probably pitch up, so try again with some down compensation mixed in. Repeat and try a landing pass.

I think this is the molded Spectrum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzO-KypHWZw
4:30 is a great landing. Some of our local slopes appear in the video.
Crikey - Ron has not changed at all - the lucky bugger!

Nice video.

Doc J.
Feb 02, 2018, 01:33 PM
Klutzsquatch

Wing Rod(s)

I buy ejector pins for plastic injection molding molds. Come in most fractional, decimal and metric diameters. Hardened, so no bending them from winch launches. Usually a couple of different lengths. Just do an interweb search.

Regards,

Mark
Feb 02, 2018, 04:47 PM
Both are easy fixes.
Feb 02, 2018, 07:38 PM
Faster is Better
Using a ruler, it looks like the carbon wing rod diameter is 11/32". And 9-5/16" long.

It would probably be better to measure diameter with a caliper, but I don't have one.
Feb 05, 2018, 07:54 PM
Faster is Better

Fin Repair

Epoxied repair. Next step will be to make it pretty.

I predict I will have an opportunity this summer to do some thermal flying with this glider.

It still needs servos, 6 total. It had JR 331/341's but I used those in other projects.

I need to keep the cost at about $20 per servo so any suggestions, word up.

Vertical fin repair appears successful. It's rigid again.
Last edited by Slopemaster; Feb 05, 2018 at 08:15 PM.
Feb 05, 2018, 08:52 PM
auto-tune remix
I'm going with six new HS-85MGs in mine, as I had them sitting around for another project That's more than double the value in electronics -vs-airframe. I was tempted to try to put full-size servos in the flaps and fuse.

Aloft has some reasonable prices on servos.

Over the weekend I tore out the old wiring harness connectors, and will put in a new 6-channel 2-piece wing harness.
Feb 05, 2018, 10:32 PM
Faster is Better
HS85MG's do seem to be popular among the slope community.

Currently I have one on my rudder on the TG-3.

I know people here are poo-pooing the KST-125mg but so far they are working great in my Fat Albert. I've actually hammered the FA into the ground even breaking loose a control horn and the servo wasn't even phased.

Thanks for your input.
Last edited by Slopemaster; Feb 05, 2018 at 10:40 PM.
Feb 05, 2018, 10:37 PM
Faster is Better
I was also considering the HS-82MG. I know for a fact the 81's are crap but the 82 is MG and a lot cheaper than 85's. I really don't want to spend $200 on servos for this glider.
Feb 05, 2018, 10:52 PM
It's time for me to fly
Ken it's not the KST125 that people are down on, it's the HiTec HS125. I think the KSTs get the universal thumbs up.
Feb 05, 2018, 11:35 PM
Faster is Better
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT
Ken it's not the KST125 that people are down on, it's the HiTec HS125. I think the KSTs get the universal thumbs up.
Oh ok, sorry about that, I misunderstood the post. Thank you for correcting me. And I'm glad to hear it's not the KST.
Feb 06, 2018, 02:14 PM
HS 225's are pretty decent mini's.

I had them in my 4m Alpina and it crashed from 100' feet up, and they didn't strip.

Had the nylon gear servos in for the ailerons, elevator, and rudder, and the MG's for the flaps.

Pretty good torque and centering, and they're cheap (inexpensive).

KST-125mg's are far better servos I'm sure, but I would imagine more expensive too.

Bob
Feb 06, 2018, 02:47 PM
auto-tune remix
I have some recycled HiTec 225's on the flaps of my CR Raider (which I'm also rehabbing) and they seem to be holding up.

Quick Reply