This thread is privately moderated by Rural Flyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 31, 2018, 04:27 PM
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Holy Stone F183W Brushed Motor replacement

In a previous post I had added a camera to my trusty Holy Stone F183 W, that was cannibalised from an MJX Bugs 2C...

When I went to give the camera a bit of a work-out, and found that front left motor would not spin-up with out a slight flick of the prop. This will be the third brushed DC Motor failure on this drone.

Since this is my first drone it understandably has the most hours logged on it, I would guess somewhere between 25 and 30 hours of flight time since early last fall. Given the beating this drone has taken and my disregard of the manual to let the motors cool down between battery swaps ( I still routinely fire 4 batteries though as fast as they get consumed ) I have nothing to complain about.

The addition of an FPV camera with it's own Battery, has prompted me to fly in Mode 3 or 4 to a) counteract the additional weight, and b) get the mini thrill of flying more aggressively in FPV. This seems to really be the reason that the motors are starting to fail in quick succession.

After exchanging several emails with the support staff at Holy Stone, I feel that I should clearly acknowledge that the motor failures are not due to any defect in workmanship or materials from Holy Stone, but rather wilful disregard on my part of clear directions on how to get the longest life of a brushed DC Motor...

Since the drone has to be completely dis-assembled I opted to snap a few shots of the Flight Control Brd and try to decode some of Part numbers to get some insight into how these things stay in the air.

I've opted to replace both of the remaining motors so that all 4 motors will be within 5 hrs or so of each other in terms of Time in the air. From this point onward I'll simply replace all motors as a set when the 1st motor burns off it's brushes (probably later this spring.)

HS F183W motor and FC brd specs...

The motors are 8.5mm in diameter with a length of 20mm. Identified as an 8520 motor.
They are rated to 7.4V with a 1.3 Amp current draw, but in the HS F183 the FC Brd is driving them with 5V.

The PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) output is driven via an SMD 2310 N-Channel Mosfet, along side each MOSFET is an SMD Diode presumably to suck-up any Back EMF under load.

The FC Brd, has an MPU 6052c Gyro/accelerameter which is likely a variant of the MPU-6050 family of Motion Processing Units see the link be low for more details from the manufacturer.

https://store.invensense.com/Product...22200/pid=1135

What I'd hoped was the processor PN STi FD31X4 didn't return any data sheets or relevant links under Google, though many of the drones in this mid tier of the Toy Grade models are using similar hardware and the processor is a Cortex M0, though at this point I have no evidence one way or the other.

Likewise I was hoping to see something like an nRF24L01 IC that would handle the Communications between the Drone and the transmitter, but nothing was obvious.

My objective is not to reverse engineer this or any other drone, but rather to get a better understanding of the main building blocks that go into an FC brd, so that I'll be able to make an informed choice when the time comes to start into the custom build leg of this hobby.

At this point I find just the fact that the damn things can hover virtually unattended amazing , and that they actually fly as directed beyond magic

The 17 Images below are captioned with additional details or instructions, please select view all images to see them all.
Last edited by Rural Flyer; Jan 31, 2018 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Missing Images
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply