Mar 25, 2018, 08:26 PM
Team Futaba
Just got home from the conest about an hour ago.

First, I want to thank Tim Johnson once again for being such a great CD. Even with some computer issues he kept things running smoothly. Don't mist one of his contests!! He does a great job. And also thanks to CVRC for once again hosting an excellent event.

We had some challenging conditions, and the wind got cold and kicked up on Sunday. But somehow the top guys still got it figured out and prevailed!

I flew like stink, had issue with a new plane and was a man barely alive from creeping crud in my lungs, but I still had a blast.

Congrats to the winners. Good seeing old friends and making some new ones. And I got some Espy's chips Saturday night!!

See you guys at the next one!!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2018, 09:35 AM
Anyone know the finals results? The gliderscore online scoring is not showing the results of rounds 1-3...
Inquiring minds want to know!

This looks like my calculations...
West, Randy 3841.79 1
Padilla, Jon 3673.12 2
Burson, Robert 3342.52 3
Keer, Lenny 3104.32 4
Khani, Ali 2566.62 5
Bajorek, Chris 2543.90 6
Weaver, Fred 1974.96 7
Wilmunder, Aric 1858.98 8
Fox, Lou 1126.94 9

Jim
Last edited by jimsoars; Mar 26, 2018 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Added final standings...
Mar 26, 2018, 09:52 AM
Thread OP

F5J in Visalia Preliminary and Flyoff Results

Thanks a lot for the kind words Bill, and thanks to all the pilots who came from near and far! It truly is a pleasure to put on these contests and I couldn't do it alone. Thanks to our local CVRC members helping out; Ralph, Karl and Mark!

We flew 9 preliminary rounds Saturday in fantastic but sometimes very challenging conditions. All the available GliderScore results are here; https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Dg?usp=sharing

4 additional preliminary rounds and 4 flyoff rounds were flown Sunday under much winder and colder conditions. After about an hour the brilliant sunshine came out to warm things up somewhat but the wind (8-13 mph) continued through out the day.
Flyoff results are here; https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...m5?usp=sharing

Please let me know if there are any problems viewing the results files.

Hopefully other participants will contribute contest reports and photos. My skills as journalist are very limited.

Had a great time and see you all again in June, I promise warmer weather!

Tim

Last edited by tim_j58; Mar 26, 2018 at 07:40 PM.
Mar 26, 2018, 10:34 AM
E sailplane thermal hack
Couldn't pull up those files on my phone
Mar 26, 2018, 10:58 AM
Thread OP
I'll get pdfs of everything uploaded tonight.

Tim
Mar 26, 2018, 05:31 PM
Got some pics for ya'll
As always a great event! Was great to see everyone again. I want to thank the Tim and the CVRC crew, you guys know how to put on a contest! Thanks to ProppyJon for keeping me fed with the awesome smoker( pork loin, steak, shrimp). We saw a few new faces to F5J so that was really nice!

I want to congratulate Randy West for a dominating performance. Taking 1st in the Prelims and 1st in the flyoffs! That man has gelled really well with the Optimus F5J.

I flew my new Infinity to 2nd place in the Prelims and was really liking it, switched to the heavy Dynamic in the Flyoffs and made some bad choices first 2 flights. Oh well....

Once gain thanks everyone! I wish we could do F5J 6 times a year at Visalia!
Mar 26, 2018, 07:40 PM
Thread OP

F5J in Visalia Preliminary and Flyoff Results

PDF's of all preliminary and Flyoff results have been added. See post #48 for links.

Also results on http://www.gliderscore.com/OnLineScores.aspx have been refreshed to show complete contest results. Sorry for the confusion. It's always very busy at the end of a contest for the CD.

Tim
Mar 26, 2018, 08:56 PM
RV7guy

Sounds like a good time

Sorry I missed this one. Tim and crew always put on a first class event. Congrats to Randy for a great win.

Hopefully the next one will fall on my weekend off!!!

Darwin
Mar 27, 2018, 08:20 PM
Overkill is underrated

More Visalia F5J Photos

The fearless CD, Tim Johnson. Thanks Tim for a great contest!

- From the EVEF crew- Randy West, John Armstrong, and Ed LaCroix
Mar 27, 2018, 08:23 PM
Overkill is underrated

Visalia F5J Flyoff Photos- Award Weiners, er, Winners!

From left to right...

5th Place - Ali Khani
4th Place - Lenny Keer
3rd Place - Bobby Burson
2nd Place - John Padilla
1st Place- Randy West (see Post #51 above)
Last edited by elac2az; Mar 27, 2018 at 08:33 PM.
Mar 28, 2018, 01:56 AM
——x——

A Great Time in Visalia

Thanks to Tim and the CVRC crew for putting on another fun contest. I always enjoy flying at Visalia...lots of great memories built here over the last few years. What a dream it would be to have more sailplane sites like this in the United States...it is certainly not a gift to take for granted.

Regarding the conditions, we had moderate winds on Saturday (I believe they generally stayed below 9 mph) that allowed me to fly the lighter Optimus I borrowed from an EVEF club member (Thanks, Mike Roseberry!). For both days, the heavy rains from Thursday kept the dust down to allow for beautiful clear blue skies to complement the cumulus clouds that developed once the morning cloud cover cleared. On Sunday, the wind picked up after the first round and I had to switch to the heavier Optimus I flew in last year's contest. In the flyoff rounds, the thermals were very strong with corresponding sink...multiple times I had to return up wind after quickly specking out my plane, dodging huge sink on the return.

With that, a couple more thank yous... Thanks to Ed for his assistance as my primary timer, including in the flyoffs. Also, thanks to Ali for donating the servos and F5J t-shirts for the top finishers.

Here is a quick video and a couple photos I happened to take during the contest...

(0 min 20 sec)
Mar 28, 2018, 08:05 AM
Nice Job Randy !

Can I borrow someones Optimus UL too?

For those that don't know Optimus will still be available. My understanding is the original parent company CN will no longer manufacturer it and it will be made by a new company. Long story short it was a parting of ways by the past management. This is all according to their FB page and a couple short conversations with friends.

Great job all flyers.

Joon
Mar 28, 2018, 03:38 PM
Oh.... Armstrong gets the double tap award! Armstrong, Padilla and I were working a thermal between 20-30m. I think we could all see the writing on the wall, a midair was coming. Nobody was giving way because we were downwind and low.

My Infinity and Armstrong's Ultima had a glancing blow, both planes flew out. We re-acquired the lift. Padilla thought Armstrong need some more abuse so it was Ultima strong V Ultima light. They hit pretty hard. Armstrong's joiner snapped and his tip fell away dangling by the servo wire. A massive gash in his center panel looked like a shark bite.

Showing his true piloting skills Armstrong nursed that crumbled mess of a plane back to field and safely landed it, saving any further damage to the model.
Mar 28, 2018, 04:16 PM
Original Bloody Spadder
Sad day
Mar 28, 2018, 08:54 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Dang!!! Hate hearing that! Sorry John! :-(
Hope it doesn't cost tooooo much to repair.

Quick Reply