Show Us Your Build Table - RC Groups

Show Us Your Build Table

In past articles we've talked about airplane storage and parts organization, but now I'd like to talk about tables and see what you guys like or wish you had.

Splash

A Proper Table Means Better Builds

In past articles we've talked about airplane storage and parts organization, but now I'd like to talk about tables and see what you guys like or wish you had. As I'm preparing to move into a new house and setup a new hobby room, I'm thinking a new table is in order. My current table consists of 2x4 legs for the base and a 4x8 piece of MDF from Home Depot. It's large and cheap, but it's not perfectly flat or very solid. Many many years ago I bought the connectors for this table from the RC Hobby Lobby, long before I started working there. I found them in the catalog and they were great for making a cheap easy table like I needed at the time. 15 years later and they are worn and cracked so I'm in need of something new. I want a table that is truly flat and level as that makes a difference when building a plane.

I've seen build tables in the middle of the room so you can walk around it and get to the project from all sides, but I don't think I like that. It's easy enough to move the plane around instead of walking around it, plus I tend to prefer to sit down while I'm building, but maybe that's just due to the height of my current table making standing and bending over uncomfortable. What do you guys think? Do you prefer a table in the middle or up against a wall? Do you prefer to stand and work or sit? I'd love to see examples of your build table setups with links to where you purchased if you bought one. I'm hoping to wade through your posts and find a suitable option for my new room. I'm sure others will benefit as well.

Jan 29, 2018, 08:32 AM
WJH
WJH
B747-400 First Officer

Show Us Your Build Table

Jan 29, 2018, 08:35 AM

my shop

here is my shop a few years ago when it was clean

EDIT this post incentivized me to clean my shop. So added are new photos from today all cleaned up.
Last edited by benderfly; Jan 29, 2018 at 02:40 PM.
Jan 29, 2018, 08:37 AM
RCG Admin
I like that U shaped table!
Jan 29, 2018, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
I like that U shaped table!
Thank you! A U shape makes for a lot of usable area especially when working on bigger models.
Jan 29, 2018, 10:14 AM
AMA 537620
4x8' 3/4" Plywood with a pine lip to keep things from rolling off. Sits on a couple saw horses. It is slightly bowed in some places, but turns out straight wings most of the time.

I would like to back it with a more solid base to guarantee it is flat, but I love the size which allows me to build just about any size plane I want. 1/5 scale Pitts in the background and my 73" Cloud Dancer in progress in the foreground.

The biggest challenge is avoiding flat surface syndrome...
Jan 29, 2018, 10:58 AM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
I built mine from a picture I saw while googling workbench designs. Being this is a converted bonus/bedroom on our 2nd floor, I wanted something that looked nice. The original had drawers also, which I may/may not get around to adding. Unfortunately, the front middle is sagging, so I'll be adding a 2x4 post this spring. There's 2x6 on the sides and back, but looks like the front needs one too.

I primed & painted the top with exterior enamel paint, but everything seems to stick to it. Not sure why, anyone else had paint issues like that? Only thing I can think of is maybe it was too hot in the garage when i painted it.

I also have a 6' folding table on the left end of this to form an 'L'. I'm hoping to build a second table like the first, but lower, to replace the folding table.

Jason - another option thats very similar to the joiners you have now - http://www.2x4basics.com/ - I used these for the workbench & shelves in the garage. They work great but are a little expensive.
Last edited by Nikolei Zinsli; Jan 29, 2018 at 11:24 AM.
Jan 29, 2018, 01:18 PM
Here is the shop as it stands. Going through a big expansion soon, so it will get at least four more benches. Two of them will be mobile.
These benches shown are all the 2x4 basics you can grab from home improvement stores. They are great for building quick and easy workbenches. The new benches I will be custom building to meet different needs.
Latest blog entry: Building Season!
Jan 29, 2018, 01:30 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
4 more!? Good lord man!
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Jan 29, 2018, 01:36 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
Sitting at the 4' table, 8' behind me, 4'er is a high end office table, covered with 1 1/2" foam insulation with a sheet of Hobby Lobby art board on top, I replace the art board about every
fifth or sixth build. I have been replacing the foam about once a year. I do about sixty models
a year, I build for others. I did 12 planes in 9 days.

Jan 29, 2018, 01:40 PM
We downsized from a 2200 sq. ft house, to an 1100 sq. ft. home in a retirement community. But, I now have one of the biggest workshops (and work table) I've ever had -- almost a complete 4' X 8'.

The base is six cabinets (3 * 3 drawer and 3 * 1 drawer/2 doors) from Home Depot. I used the extra area on each side to fit shop vac under the table, plus a stool on each side. On the 'front' (the side towards the door into the living room), I added a sanding box on drawer rails.

The top is 1/2" MDF, with an overlay of 1/8" Masonite (?). I've used Masonite on other workbench tops. I paint it with Polycrylic, but when it gets too beaten up, I replace it with a new sheet.

I mounted a small shop vac under the workbench, between the stools. The hose from the vac is usually plugged into the sandbox, but can be pulled out through a black-covered access hole near the table's center (I can extend the vac hose with an old CPAP hose ).

Built-up wings are usually done on my old Ajusto-jig and fuselages are done home-made jigs, so table top straightness isn't a big issue.

CD
Jan 29, 2018, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolei Zinsli
4 more!? Good lord man!
Gotta have room! lol will be doing a lot more wood working projects as well.
Jan 29, 2018, 01:54 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.

My build board ?

Currently it's a single bed base and mattress tipped on its side, with a piece of conti-board placed on top, with some fiberboard on top of that to take pins.

But many years ago I was a bit more limited as no spare actual room, (two children), so I built some room, in another room.

Ray.
Jan 29, 2018, 02:52 PM
RCG Admin
Nice guys! What do you think about table tops? What's the best options for our needs?
Jan 29, 2018, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Nice guys! What do you think about table tops? What's the best options for our needs?
SO my benches all have a 3/4 plywood top. Nothing fancy. I use a level when I build them to make sure everything is square and level and that's it. If I am going to build a kit or need a perfectly flat surface, then I build a "building board" that is perfectly flat.

Quick Reply