This thread is privately moderated by RickC_RCAV8R, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 28, 2018, 03:17 PM
Waste Nothing
Thread OP
Discussion

RIX : BullNoser Prop Cutter (3D print)

Gentlemen :

The posting yesterday of the rotary tool holder was the pretext for this intended project of a propeller cutter that I named The BullNoser . Although the pictures of this are in my shop's bench vise , the BullNoser is intended to be mounted on a plywood base or the bench top .

I FLY ! I bust a lot of props in the process . Learning the ACRO modes of flying for multi rotors does consume props . If I am lucky and don't bust a complete leaf off of the prop , I usually just zing off the tips in the dirt . Most times , this leaves props which can be shortened to a convenient diameter while ensuring a proper Bullnose radiused tip . This project makes that operation a snap ! Practically , it takes longer to mount the prop with an adapter to the 3mm center shaft than it does to cut down the prop itself .

A decision was made early on to have the central cross slider platform be made with a 3mm steel shaft that was salvaged from one of my crash victim motors . This shaft is press fit into the slider hole with gentle , but firm tapping with a hammer . A standard sized prop adapter is used to secure the prop to be cut down with perfect alignment . The slider IS adjustable for the prop leaf radius and has the ability to be locked into place to ensure accuracy . Future mods for this project would include a measuring rule but is optional at this point in time . Important to NOTE that the 8mm steel rods used for this project were salvaged from an old computer printer and shaped on the ends with a grinder .

The 3 printable 3D STL files are included here as well as a few pix of the unit itself . I offer this useful tool to my fellow modelers in hopes that they can salvage props for continued flying as I do . Be SURE to REBALANCE your prop after cutting it down ! ! !

Regards to all of my readers , the builders and my Aussie mates . RickC_RCAV8R
Last edited by RickC_RCAV8R; Jan 28, 2018 at 05:03 PM. Reason: schpelling
to remove ads between posts
Jan 29, 2018, 03:35 PM
Biomass processor
Right....!!! now I understand, you had me confused for a short time. Awesome job mate, will add it to my list of things to do.
Jan 29, 2018, 05:59 PM
Waste Nothing
Thread OP
Thanx Denny . I think that this sort of tool would be useful for a lot of flyers . THat is why I decided to give out the files . An easy 3D print and build .
Latest blog entry: Filament Fridge ?
Mar 09, 2018, 11:24 AM
Waste Nothing
Thread OP
Finally got around to making a benchtop wooden base for this tool . An appropriate sized piece of 1/2" ply was cored out with a 2 1/4" hole saw , cut off at the halfway point across the width and pre drilled with countersunk screw hole for the bench . The 3D printed parts wer tapped for 1/4" holes and bolted thru the ply plate from the bottom to secure . A slick install .
Latest blog entry: Filament Fridge ?
May 24, 2018, 01:46 PM
Thx for sharing. Very cool and useful tool. Hope to build if a friend lets me get some time on their printer!

Quick Reply