This thread is privately moderated by Doug Simmons, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 28, 2018, 02:08 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Thread OP
Idea

balance voltage sag? :(

I just ordered the Flyzone Beaver and I want to go night flying off the water with it with ample light, and without using, except maybe extreme density white lights underneath the wing, goofy led strips. So I searched the rcgroups forum list and found one for Night Flying. This thread is the most fascinating and informative collection of stunning RC beauty I've ever seen, and even if you have no interest in night flying, take a look: https://www.rcgroups.com/night-flying-522/

My wife would use a different word but I think I've spent the morning productively coming up with something for this thread that might be of use to those of you who go heavy on amps and are worried about burning up their thin balance line. Or in my case, if you split the balance line in order to use a voltage alarm in addition to powering your lights, you may see a significant drop on the voltage alarm that is well below the voltage on the main power-to-esc lines. Why is that?

Anyway here's what I came up with and it appears to work:

And in action...

So that there is a fairly thick-gauge pair of wires I ripped out of a dead battery and soldered in three balance lines (minus the two middle lines, not necessary to power lights), putting pairs of Anderson Powerpoles on either end because I'm too pathetic to solder a decent EC3. A buddy recommended these things, now I'm a Powerpole elitist. I soldered the balance lines onto the power lines carefully and strapped them down and gave the lines some insulation with heat shrink tubing.

Now I can plug this in between the battery and ESC and I can split all my light wiring into thirds (to lower the amps) and shine this lil' light of mine, also without getting funky voltage readings on the actual balance line. You should probably triple-bag each line with heat shrink tubing to avoid a short of the big lines. I don't know what would happen if one of the JSTs or lights shorted, I guess the thin stuff would just burn up quick without your battery doing anything dramatic. Admittedly not the safest bet.

There is however one potential showstopper of a downside to this, by putting this sucker between your battery and ESC, with all the crap connected to it flapping in the wind, you introduce a point of failure in the worst place to have one, not helpful, even if you're using the best connectors and crimper in the world.

With that in mind, maybe this wasn't such a bright idea -- disregard the above and use a separate battery for your lights I guess. Cut me some slack, I only checked out the night flying thread hours ago, I'll come up with something...

Doug

Flex Innovation's Cessna 170 night version with floats (looks like fun):
Cessna 170 Float Night Flying - SEFF 2017 (0 min 41 sec)
Latest blog entry: Funcub Heavy
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply