Jul 09, 2019, 01:15 PM
Unfortunately, I didn't think to take any pictures of the broken stab / repairs.

I super glued (CA) the stab back on, then cut a narrow slot clear through the stab spanwise, about 3" long or so, maybe a little less. Narrow slot, only wide enough to slide in a piece of 1/8" x .04 or so carbon fiber - not sure of the exact dimensions, but a piece of rigid carbon. Epoxied up both sides of the carbon, worked a little into the slot, and pushed the carbon edgewise down into the slot. Once that was cured, I filled the top and bottom of the slot with micro balloons and epoxy (not 5 min, it's too rubbery - used 20 min finishing resin) then sanded, then glassed over the tail with 3/4oz glass cloth and epoxy, sand, primer, paint..

Where the joiner wire had broken from the elevator, it was fixed back up with epoxy and cab-o-sil (filler that's harder and stronger than micro balloons) before the glass / sand / paint steps.

Should be good to go, seems plenty strong.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2019, 08:01 AM
Looks nice, Len. Another trick for firewall initial shaping is to wrap some heavy solder around the fuse at the firewall location, push it into the nooks, etc., and slide it off the fuse, trace around the inside of it on some paper.

Might not be the best method, but I've used it before, and it worked ok.

Hanging out with your grand daughter is much more important than building airplanes!
Jul 11, 2019, 02:03 PM
Thread OP

Great Idea

I iwish you had told me that before i did this the hard way .

I'll try to remember that trick.

This is further ahead than the nitro mount so using it for pattern wasn't much help either Not being able to push the motor in thru the nose makes it a bit challenging .
That extra 1/4 inch in the Tony nose made it a lot simpler still not easy .
I haven't checked all my QM 's but the Shark ,Estrellita . Polekitty ,and Miss Dara are 1 1/2".
Jul 11, 2019, 02:09 PM
My P63, the Heinkel 100, and Stinger that I have are all 1-1/2" spinners, too
Jul 11, 2019, 11:40 PM
Thread OP

Today was a wreck according to my grandaughter

Never went to the park the rain made it too muddy
However more progress made on the motor mount
The guy I hired to paint for me needs to be fired he put two great big runs in the top surface of the wing .
sanding them out was not fun the runs are soft and plug the sandpaper right away .
much sanding later it may be ready for another coat thinner this time .
Fizz maybe The Prather Tony is the exception to the spinner size . I measured Greg's P39 and it's 1.5 " as well.
I have contacted Derrick at RC Hobbies to see if he can get me a few turbo spinners and a pointy turbo spinner for the Miss Dara.
It's becoming difficult to find Rc stuff up here.
One hobby store owner told me he sold 2 new nitro engine airplanes last year the rest were ELe.
I get it if it's slow to sell they quit stocking it.
Last edited by leo turt; Jul 11, 2019 at 11:55 PM. Reason: one pic faulty
Jul 15, 2019, 03:23 PM
Wandering IT geek
...if you still have hobby stores selling RC stuff up there you're doing better than most of us!
Jul 15, 2019, 09:36 PM
Some days you are the windshield, some days you are the bug. Got to meet Jim Gager, though the maker of quite a few of the qm15 planes, and found out he DID make a P63, and this was one..
Believe it or not, it may live to fly again.. with a proper cg instead of tail heavy! And new paint.. quite a few cracks in the fuse...
Jul 22, 2019, 02:51 PM
Thread OP
Boy that sucks but it will live again.
It sounds like the Nats were interesting its nice to meet people who have similar interests
So was it a test flight or a race ???

There are a few stores left that have good supplies and I have to build some supplies we used to pick up off the shelves .
I would say that Manitoba Edmonton and Calgary have the best variety in Canada and most others leaning toward Foam Ele..
It's a good thing Rc groups and ebay are around for the balsa planes and diversity of planes
Jul 22, 2019, 03:01 PM
Just a demo flight with some old .15 QM planes. We haven't actively raced that class in many years. I think this was the 25th anniversary of the .40 sized QM event, and the .15 size died shortly after the .40 class was introduced. I did get to meet Jim Gager, and did learn that he DID make a P63 kit, and this was likely to be one of his. Now to find a copy of the original plans somewhere, so I can see what the CG ought to be. The "TLAR" (that looks about right" method didn't work out so well..
Jul 22, 2019, 03:33 PM
FYI... If you are using the EF-1 set up this may work.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/150-alu...llet-eflsp150b

Regarding the spinner sizes... The Brushaber, Napier was 1.75" like the Prather little Toni.

DK
Jul 22, 2019, 06:11 PM
Len, and anyone who might be interested. There wasn't a volunteer to cover pylon at the Nats for the Nats News this year, but there are tons of great pictures on Flicker. If you would like to view them try this link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/modela...57709677797131.
Gordon, If you don't have a set of my P-39 plans, I can send them to you. I think you will find that the Gager P-63, and my P-39 are very similar.
Jul 22, 2019, 08:04 PM
Greg, thanks for the offer! I believe I have a copy of your plans, in the kit of your P-39 that I have stashed in my shop. I'll have to get those out and take a look.

I'm going to see if I can fix up the one that got broken at the Nats - while talking with Jim, he said something that rung a bell with me.. his kits started out as polyester glass moldings, not epoxy glass - and I recall somewhere in the cobwebs of my head that epoxy doesn't stick well to polyester glass - which might explain why the patches I put on the inside of the plane on some cracks just seem to peel out, without adding a lot of strength. Guess maybe I should either get some polyester resin (stinky stuff) to try when I start fixing it up - that, and do the work out in the garage, and NOT in my basement shop. That stuff would smell up the whole house..
Jul 22, 2019, 08:22 PM
This pic of the 3 QM15 planes that flew (or attempted to, in my case...) as a demo of old school planes at the nationals came from the AMA flickr link that Greg Doe posted -

Greg on the left, me in the green shirt, Jim Gager in the blue, and my race partner and friend Duane with the orange and blue Little Toni.

Quick Reply