Jun 29, 2018, 01:04 PM
Thread OP

One More Fin Rudder

I know its a bit off topic but here's Kevlar some pics of BVM Polecat fin rudder Kevlar hingeThe right side is 3/16 and the left is 1/4.
What came with the kit required body filler and the left is way thicker so the semi symmetrical airfoil can be shaped out of it .
finding fuse centre impossible . so i made a board drew a vertical line on a board i screwed to the front and a line square to that board to line the tail up with and used a board tack glued to the wing saddle to level the fuse left to right .
now the nose is sanded square and all i need to worry about is the incidence .
Last edited by leo turt; Jul 16, 2018 at 10:19 PM. Reason: more comments and pics
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2018, 10:15 PM
Holy smokes! That Estrellita fuse looks like it came from my mold. I molded a Estrellita fuse years ago (QM-40). Duane Gall purchased one or two from me and I think he used it to make another mold off of it. I still have the original plug and mold. Brings back memories.
Jul 09, 2018, 12:25 PM
Thread OP
Could well be
I have a F1 kit that Has Gager blueprints and a QM.15 with Gager prints and instructions that are off the wall funny .
Both .15s have the same slightly flat right side however Duanes is set up with a built in cowl in the right side for an electric setup and his is done so well that it looks like a mirror twin of the left side
Jul 16, 2018, 10:29 AM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Yep, Jim Gager's instructions were the best part of his kits, lighthearted & informative. Len, you're right, I took one of Gager's .15 Estrellita fuselages and made a mold of the left-side cheek, then molded a new cheek and installed it on the right (where the engine would go), then pulled a mold from the resulting symmetrical fuselage. I meant to use it as an electric-powered project only, and when I found out you were on the same page with that idea, I thought you should have it. I'll make myself another one if & when I get all my current half-builts out of the way.

Jon, that Q40 Estrellita you sent me years ago had a very similar profile but no cheeks on it, as I recall. I used it as the basis for an F3D model I called "Loose Ellipse". It had no cheeks, upright engine, pipe channel & cowl on top, V tail, low wing, 1-way retracts (up only; the wheels swung straight back into pockets near the TE, then the airplane landed on the protruding half-wheels and a nose skid just long enough to save the spinner & prop). I only built one of those although the plan was for two. Ran out of time as usual. Took it to the 2000 team trial in Phoenix. It did fine except the rough runway beat the hell out of the wheels & skid. I have it hung up in my office now as a conversation piece.

Cheers,
Duane
Sep 29, 2018, 03:18 PM
Thread OP

Where did the year go

Well work sure gets in the way of fun things in life .
Making this have a working rudder was a learning experience .
I acquired a set of blueprints and instructions for this plane .
In the instructions it says to put the rudder in offset so the plane turns to the right as it will help during razor edge corners .
when you check the plans the stab is also1/4 inch deeperon the right side front to back than the left ..
that's why everything was measuring wonkey when i first got this plane .

I'm putting everything back to square as i will use a rudder .
My changes are the fin rudder are an asymmetrical foil that will turn the plane to the right to help cornering .as it will nose up the plane when razor edged
and the stab rudder are an inverted asymmetrical foil that will nose up which will turn left when doing a razor edge thru the corner.
If these work as planned there will be less parasitic drag from control surface inputs when turning left around the pylons
Whether it will fly or not who knows????
Last edited by leo turt; Sep 29, 2018 at 03:25 PM. Reason: one more picture
Nov 05, 2018, 06:04 PM
Looking good!
Nov 07, 2018, 05:19 PM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Nice job! That's basically what I did.
Dec 17, 2018, 11:30 AM
Thread OP
Fizz
How is your p39 progressing .
Oh and your stinger repairs .
I get off on so many tangents and with a full time job and a farm my projects are slow to finish .
Len
Last edited by leo turt; Dec 17, 2018 at 11:34 AM. Reason: another Question
Dec 17, 2018, 01:35 PM
Len, haven't been building any airplanes. Doing a little electronic repair, doing things with the family. The kids and grandkids are all busy and scattered, so we get together for Christmas when we can. This weekend was college graduation for our son, plus spending the weekend with the kids here from Minnesota. Busy season!
Mar 18, 2019, 12:54 AM
Thread OP

Jacobson Pole Kitty

This has the same semi symmetrical at base and symmetrical at tip of the rudder fin as a B.V.M. Polecat.K
I also made my patented Kevlar hinge for the rudder and the elevators . well maybe I never patented it.
I know its off the topic but. this seems like a good thread for another QM.15
Anyway i started with The shark fin again tonight and zeroed it then tacked it in place at the back .so next step is to have a few small items to epoxy and body fill.
May 18, 2019, 08:22 PM
Thread OP

Paint dried before the bug landed for a change

Progress on one outside in the sun . Its so nice when the weather warms up .
Last edited by leo turt; May 18, 2019 at 08:23 PM. Reason: speling error

Quick Reply