Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 27, 2018, 08:01 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Micro 3D printed flying wing

I designed a flying wing with a 40cm wingspan to be used with flysky receiver bricks (v911/f949). For simplicity I designed it to print in two pieces and joined together. I designed a symmetrical airfoil then cut it in half for ease of printing. My initial intent was to have an asymmetrical airfoil with the curve on top and the flat side on the bottom as this seemed like a typical arrangement. However, when I did glide tests using two different wing designs, one with a completely flat bottom and the other with a slightly beveled leading and trailing edge. Both took nose dives as if being pushed down when flown as intended (flat side down). However, being curious I tried flying them inverted and both had fantastic lift and glide in that orientation. Any suggestions on why this apparent discrepancy? (Thanks for the suggestions to figure this out!!)

The wing weighs about 13g including the packing tape covering. My electronics are just under 15g hence using 3 nickels to do the glide test using the correct cog. It should be just under 30g when complete. I just want to make sure I'm not working with a critical design flaw before moving forward.

Updates:
Plans and updates available: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2781182
It flies:
Flying the Micro 3D Printed Wing, Again (3 min 17 sec)
Last edited by mbioman; Feb 28, 2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Update 2/28/2018 with relevant info
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2018, 09:49 AM
Senile Member
Because there is no tail to counteract the natural down pitching moment that occurs when a wing produces lift, a flying wing requires what's known as reflex, i.e. the trailing edge of the airfoil is angled up slightly. Apparently the inverted flat bottom airfoil somehow supplied this reflex.

Larry
Jan 28, 2018, 10:29 AM
Retired CAD guy
like this from Marskes' P3
Jan 28, 2018, 03:13 PM
Thread OP
Aha. Thanks! I adjusted the elevons accordingly and I can get lift and glide flying with either side. This two part series helped a ton. Now to get the electronics into it as designed making sure to keep the elevons centered as needed for the correct reflex.

The aerodynamics of flying wings (part 1) (22 min 4 sec)
Jan 28, 2018, 08:46 PM
Retired CAD guy
I manged to get one of those bricks to do what I want with a Taranus and a TX module
and the proper mixing !

Go for it ! ;>}
Jan 31, 2018, 03:46 PM
packing tape is a less then ideal covering choice.
Using thinned contact adhesive to stick mylar film on will give both a stronger and less heavy wing.
Also it can be made tight with a little heat improving performance even more
Feb 03, 2018, 01:13 AM
Thread OP
All set up and ready for a maiden flight tomorrow morning. Mixing was a bit of a pain - kept either having the flaps both going up when I wanted them down or roll being opposite of stick input. Still not quite sure how I fixed it, but it works. It glides pretty well and weighs just 32g without the battery. I get that packing tape isn't ideal, but it was easy to cover and very durable.
Feb 03, 2018, 04:49 PM
Thread OP
It flew, but I still have some work to do - on the plane and my flying wing pilot skills.

3D Printed V911 Flying Wing (4 min 18 sec)
Feb 03, 2018, 05:44 PM
Retired CAD guy
Looks like a lot of over control and possibly NOT enough FINs.

This observation because It appears to be falling out of the turns
and or stalling

Will this be released in Thingiverse ?
Feb 03, 2018, 06:02 PM
Thread OP
Yes: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2781182
Feb 03, 2018, 10:55 PM
Retired CAD guy
Thanx ! ;>}

Got it !

Best

Bob

PS

I might go with a light 2cell type set up.

Just a little later then right now ;>}
Feb 04, 2018, 07:11 AM

tailheavy

add a bit of weight up front and try again
Feb 05, 2018, 10:16 PM
Josh J.
How do those electronics compare to the electronics out of a umx brushless plane. Obviously brushless vs brushed, but from a weight standpoint? I've got stuff from a umx beast looking for a home, and a new 3d printer that I just got figured out.
Feb 05, 2018, 11:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDayJayJay
How do those electronics compare to the electronics out of a umx brushless plane. Obviously brushless vs brushed, but from a weight standpoint? I've got stuff from a umx beast looking for a home, and a new 3d printer that I just got figured out.
The receiver brick with 2 servos weighs about 6-8g. The motor weighs about the same +/- 2g depending on the size of brushed motor. The 1s battery's weight is dependent on the mah rating. I have smaller 150mah batteries up to larger 300mah. Add in push rods, control horns, glue, and any extra cable runs. Combined the set-up is 15-25g, My wing was ~13g printed and covered. It weighed 36-38g depending on which battery I used.
Feb 06, 2018, 12:06 AM
Internet Pilot
IF it is falling in turns, stalling, what have you.. shouldn't there be some self correcting dihedral. I am assuming the issue is lift area. I am sure some of the Aero engineers round here can offer insight.

Quick Reply