Mar 09, 2018, 11:28 AM
400' is a bad winch launch.
I had hoped to not miss any FSS contests this year but unfortunately something came up at the last minute and I won't be able to make this one.

1. Dave Millonig (CD)
2. Hank Goldin
3. Raed Elazzawi
4. Mike Gardner
5. Allan Espano
6. Scott Keating
7.Paul Perret
8. Tom Boyd
9. John Kennedy
10-David Alchin
11.Jeff Duval
12.Jody Miller

And it looks like I'll be missing great weather conditions too.
Latest blog entry: List of Threads About HR 302
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2018, 02:42 PM
ʇsol
Same here. I'm planning to at least ride up for a couple of hours to see the field (thinking about joining the club), but need to get back before lunch. My dad/timer isn't feeling well, hopefully things will be better for the April events.
Latest blog entry: Sagitta 600 build 2018
Mar 10, 2018, 08:37 PM
ʇsol
Here are some snapshots from Saturday morning. Really nice place to fly. Liked it so much, I joined the club!

We're going to try to make it Sunday to fly at least a few rounds. Hope the weather holds.

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...
Mar 10, 2018, 08:39 PM
ʇsol
Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...
Mar 10, 2018, 08:42 PM
ʇsol
Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...
Mar 11, 2018, 07:37 PM

Another fun FSS Event!

Just wanted to get a little something on line about results. The weather committee really did their job well; two beautiful days of flying. Jody and Jeff showed up both days for moral support, airplane repair, radio adjustments, coaching and some low level launch practice of their own. Dave kept us jumping and we got eight rounds in each day and finished relatively early. Thanks to everyone that flew with us. We are proud of our flying site and enjoy sharing. The club gained three more members this weekend and we had some spectators show up asking really hard questions. More detail later, got to get on the road early in the morning. Can't wait for next event! John K.
Mar 12, 2018, 12:32 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
Another great sailplane contest hosted by the St. Augustine Flyers! Thank you very much to the club for hosting FSS #2. I'm always very happy to attend events at their club. John, Dave, Hank, Chuck, and crew really know how to run a smooth contest. As John said, we got in 8 rounds each day. That's awesome! It's hard to think that they've only been doing this for a short amount of time. They run it like it has been happening at their club for many years.

I really want to congratulate some pilots. First, John Kennedy showed huge, absolutely huge, improvement in his flying skills. I called for John during a round on Saturday when the lift was light. John flew patiently found the lift, cored the thermal, and got out to get his time. That may not sound so remarkable, but here's the thing: John's initial read didn't work out and he found his way down low on the North end of the field. He also wasn't directly over the field. John was moving North over the tree line. He really showed confidence and dedication going after that small lift. His turns were super clean and efficient. He really pulled of an impressive flight that I think he may not have attempted just a year earlier. On Sunday our export class really shined. These experts took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd OVERALL! Congratulations to David, Paul, and Scott. These guys really kicked butt! David kicked so much butt that he beat the first place masters pilot by over 300 pts (me)! Paul Perret continues to show up and fly awesome. I told everyone to watch out when he finally got an Xplorer. He really is a nuisance now! Finally, I'd like to point out that Scott Keating flew outstanding on Sunday! Scott flies a Sagitta 900. Yes, he shows up to an unlimited contest with a RES ship and comes in 3rd place overall! Who knows what would've happened in the standings if he was there on Saturday as well. Scott, I know you said you were tentative on the F3RES contest, but I think if you show up you might give everyone serious trouble!

Another big thanks to our two resident pros, Jeff and Jody. These guys really did make a big sacrifice by spending most of their time helping other pilots. These guys not only rock because they're so good but because they give back so much to their local soaring community. Thanks a bunch guys!

A great weekend guys! If you didn't come you really missed out on some great weather, awesome friends, and a truly good time. Can't wait to fly with everyone again soon!

Mike G.
Latest blog entry: Finished My Sbach 342!
Mar 12, 2018, 12:46 PM
400' is a bad winch launch.
The thread for FSS #3 at Kennyworld is up.
Latest blog entry: List of Threads About HR 302
Mar 12, 2018, 08:21 PM
Thanks, guys! Lagniappe and I had a wonderful weekend. You are a great group of guys to fly with. It was a well-run contest, excellent field, and perfect weather. I love your inclusive formate and welcoming spirit. It's no wonder people were joining your club as we flew. I will be back. It's worth the eight-hour drive.
Paul
Mar 12, 2018, 09:11 PM
ʇsol
Thanks for the nice words Mike. I'm really happy with the performance of my Sagitta. Still building my confidence with it (especially in the wind), but it's so much better than my beaten-up Spectra. I may need to give thought to building a pointy-nose version without the motor.

Repeating what I said about the club field: it's a very nice place to fly, and with a good bunch of people too. Reminds me a lot of the club I grew up flying at in the 70s and 80s but with the added glider interest (and extra room). What a great find
Mar 13, 2018, 08:28 PM
Thanks St Augustine RC Flyers for hosting another great contest, it was very nice for me not to have to mess with winches :-)
The local talent is pretty impressive, they have come a long way in a short period of time, I am sure john's enthusiasm has spilled over on these guys.
Here are pictures of the winners, I am missing Jack's picture on Saturday because he was still flying!
Mar 15, 2018, 04:00 PM
ʇsol
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejr83
he shows up to an unlimited contest with a RES ship and comes in 3rd place
I dunno Mike, maybe it's time to move up past the RES stuff. I traded my last Sagitta for this thing about 25 years ago. Needs to be built, I think

A couple of afterthoughts: whoever was in charge of the weather deserves a raise. On Monday it was gusting into the mid-30s here. Incredible difference:

Also - the little award plaques are really nifty. Not sure if that's a club thing, an FSS thing, or something new - but it's a great idea. They remind me of the dash-plaques we get a car shows. Perfect for my little Sagitta holder. Need to work on more

Hope to see everyone in April!
Mar 15, 2018, 07:24 PM
The Legend was my entry into full house sailplanes, I loved how it flew and landed, I built it stock and later modified it to full flying stab using composite stabs to reduce tail weight and make it more effecient.
Back in the day (early 90's) it was a very competitive ship.
I like your idea of sticking the award tag to the stand, it is a FSS thing, we do have plaques specifically for them, remind me next time we meet at a contest and you can have one.
Raed
Mar 15, 2018, 08:07 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
I'm actually torn between which way I like better! If I had a nicer stand for putting my models together (something more sophisticated than the thing from HomeDepot) then I would totally be into that. However, I have to compete with all my wife's triathlon medals so having the plaques are nice!
Latest blog entry: Finished My Sbach 342!
Mar 16, 2018, 07:17 AM
A Legend was my first full house sailplane as well. I bought it off RC Groups while i was waiting for my Xplorer. This was about 4 years ago so it was no longer truly competitive. Raed helped me trim it in off the high start what a good time that was.

Quick Reply