Jan 30, 2018, 05:19 PM
Excellent Paul, you are going to love the St Augustine guys! (they also have a very nice field) :-)

1. Dave Millonig (CD)
2. Hank Goldin
3. Mike Naylor
4. Raed Elazzawi
5. Mike Gardner
6. Allan Espano
7. Scott Keating
8-Paul Perret
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2018, 09:01 AM
Tom Boyd will be there.
Feb 01, 2018, 05:47 PM
1. Dave Millonig (CD)
2. Hank Goldin
3. Mike Naylor
4. Raed Elazzawi
5. Mike Gardner
6. Allan Espano
7. Scott Keating
8-Paul Perret
9. Tom Boyd
10. John Kennedy
Feb 07, 2018, 02:33 PM

Contest

David Alchin will be joining us from the Top of the Word club
Feb 08, 2018, 05:49 PM

Lunch

Our "do everything guy" didn't have the brass to tell the Food Truck folks that we would have at least 50 lunches to be served. Scaling that back to reality, there will be a trip to Sub-Way for anyone that wants a fresh lunch. We improved our Sub-Way success rate to nearly 100% for what ever your order. We will make this availabe on both Saturday and Sunday. Six inch subs are $5.00 and 12" subs are $8.00. Drinks and chips are supplied by the club for donations. See you all there.

Dave
Feb 20, 2018, 08:28 PM
1. Dave Millonig (CD)
2. Hank Goldin
3. Mike Naylor
4. Raed Elazzawi
5. Mike Gardner
6. Allan Espano
7. Scott Keating
8-Paul Perret
9. Tom Boyd
10. John Kennedy
11-David Alchin
Last edited by raed5; Feb 23, 2018 at 07:39 PM.
Feb 21, 2018, 08:01 PM

Rules for two tapes

I have had several questions and ideas presented for the use of two landing tapes. Believe me they have covered the sailplane universe from "can't possibly work" to the nats bottom with every imaginable rule to try to make it even. Presently my thinking is that the pilots will ultimately make the decision at the pilots meeting. This is my present plan and all thoughts can be trained on this being the contest rule or not, still to be agreed on at the pilots meeting or changed at that time.

Presently the rule will be "lawn dart" or "slide in" landings using the tape of your choice. Your choice will be at the beginning of the contest and for the duration. Should you make a "lawn dart" landing on on the "slide in" tape -- YOU AND YOUR TIMER will be the decision makers in scoring. Tuffs of grass after touch down would most likely not cause a 0 landing. Again YOU make the decision as to how much aid you received. In all cases nose stopping the plane is a 0 on the sliders tape. This contest is for the pleasure of the participants and the "KISS" rule is presently in effect unless changed at the pilots meeting.

Dave Millonig CD
Feb 23, 2018, 05:47 PM

Rules

Sometimes I'm a bit slow, certainly this was one of them. The question came up of Skegs (in any form) and the answer is NO. The Radians and others are using belly landings and it will be the pilots call, but any devise to stop the plane from a normal landing is contrary to the intent of the second tape.
Mar 03, 2018, 11:47 PM
400' is a bad winch launch.
I've been looking at hotel prices and they're really high in the area along I-95 or east of I-95. I was thinking about staying in one of the three small motels I found on U.S. 17, south of Rt. 207 in East Palatka. They are St. Johns Motel, Telstar Motel, and River Crest Motel. Apparently they don't have websites so you have to call them up.

Any recommendations?

Edit: Here's another one, but it looks pretty bad.
Last edited by Miami Mike; Mar 04, 2018 at 12:02 AM.
Mar 04, 2018, 09:39 AM
ʇsol
Did you look south around Palm Coast? There's a Red Roof and Econolodge in the $70 range. Drive time is about 25 minutes on I95.
Latest blog entry: Sagitta 600 build 2018
Mar 04, 2018, 09:49 AM
ʇsol
...just remembered, Bike Week starts this weekend - could very well influence prices and availability of places south of St Augustine.
Mar 06, 2018, 06:17 AM
1. Dave Millonig (CD)
2. Hank Goldin
3. Mike Naylor
4. Raed Elazzawi
5. Mike Gardner
6. Allan Espano
7. Scott Keating
8-Paul Perret
9. Tom Boyd
10. John Kennedy
11-David Alchin
12.Jeff Duval
13.Jody Miller
Mar 06, 2018, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulturetec
Did you look south around Palm Coast? There's a Red Roof and Econolodge in the $70 range. Drive time is about 25 minutes on I95.
Thanks! That turned out to be a good idea for me, or at least it guided me in the right direction.

After considering a lot of different options and using a spreadsheet to compare driving distance, travel time, and expense, I suddenly realized that in a situation like this, where hotels near a distant contest site are expensive, a good compromise is to take advantage of the FSS custom of starting later on Saturdays.

At the intersection of U.S. 1 and I-95, west of Ormond-By-The-Sea, there are several cheap hotels. That's about a 260-mile drive for me, and it's still another 42 miles from there to the contest site, but it works out well to stay there on Friday night and then continue to the contest on Saturday morning.

But that wouldn't be a good place to stay on Saturday night because it would mean an 84-mile round trip between Saturday evening and Sunday morning, so for Saturday night I booked a more expensive room at Quality Inn Elkton, 5 miles from the contest site.

When I realized there's no need to stay in the same hotel both nights, it seemed so obvious that I don't know why I didn't think of it years ago!
Latest blog entry: List of Threads About HR 302
Mar 06, 2018, 08:03 AM
ʇsol
That works. Be forewarned that on Friday you'll be right in the midst of the first day of Bike Week. Destination Daytona (the Daytona Beach Harley dealer) is right at that intersection. After 3-4pm it usually starts getting really congested.

Don't want it to be a big shock
Mar 06, 2018, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulturetec
That works. Be forewarned that on Friday you'll be right in the midst of the first day of Bike Week. Destination Daytona (the Daytona Beach Harley dealer) is right at that intersection. After 3-4pm it usually starts getting really congested.

Don't want it to be a big shock
Ouch! I guess I should bring cotton to stuff in my ears if I want to get any sleep.
Latest blog entry: List of Threads About HR 302

Quick Reply