Jan 27, 2018, 06:08 PM
Discussion

FSS #2 March 10 & 11

The St. Augustine RC Flyers are hosting this unlimited contest starting at Pilots meetings at 9:45 on Saturday and 9 AM on Sunday. There will be two tapes for landings and it will be pilots choice which they choose to use regardless of plane construction. One tape is for the folks that like to land like a "lawn dart" and the other is for normal belly landings. These tapes were used at the FSS # 1 and certainly made the contestants more aware that all of the competitors had a chance at the awards. There will be the usual time starting at motor off or release from the winch regardless of the landing type chosen. Cam units set at 150M. Our club president (do everything guy) is trying to get a BBQ food wagon for both days. My understanding is that the folks that have eaten from his kitchen have been quite happy with the quality and assortment as well as reasonable price. Should he not be available a run to Subway will be arranged. St. Augustine is the oldest city in America and has a lot to offer for guests and traveling companions. We have some campgrounds close by and welcome anyone wanting to get some sunshine during their long winter.

C.D. Dave Millonig
to remove ads between posts
Jan 27, 2018, 08:59 PM
I'll be there flying hope we have good weather!!
Jan 28, 2018, 08:03 AM
Glider Guider
1. Dave Millonig (CD)
2. Hank Goldin
3. Mike Naylor

One possible rule to ensure fliers don't lawn dart at a "slider" tape is that gliders must end up with their tails laying flat on the ground. This used to be the FSS rule many years ago when we had runway landings.
Jan 28, 2018, 10:35 AM

Landings

Certainly landing with the tail on the ground is necessary for the "slider tape." We will talk about that at the pilots meeting and like the first time this system was used, changes and improvements will be discussed before any "cast in concrete" rules are adopted.

Dave
Jan 28, 2018, 10:53 AM
Glider Guider
During FSS #1 it was purely a judgement call, similar to whether a batter is safe at first base. As I recall, the stated intent was that if the nose touched the ground first the landing was disqualified, but I think that proved to be impractical. It was also suggested that the model had to slide, but I had a "carrier" landing where my plane was immediately caught in a clump of grass and stopped dead, which was no fault of mine.

I did volunteer one landing disqualification though, when my plane was suddenly lifted and dropped nose-first by turbulence. I took a zero landing in spite of the fact that my landing ended with my plane sitting flat on the ground.

I think it'll be best if one can examine the position of the plane after the landing and determine the landing score from that.

It's also a good idea, perhaps even officially required, to establish the rules well before a contest rather than decide and announce them at the pilot's meeting.
Jan 28, 2018, 11:20 AM
Glider Guider
All I'm saying is that it's a good idea to let everyone know what sort of landing they should practice well ahead of the contest, but I did a little research and found that it actually is officially required to establish and announce the landing rules ahead of time:

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/...-2018final.pdf
Code:
6.6.5. L5 — CD Defined Landing Task

6.6.5.1. — The CD can define a landing task that is not shown in
           this rules set but must detail that task in the sanction,
           the pilots’ meeting, as well in any advanced
           advertisement for the contest.
Jan 28, 2018, 01:54 PM
1. Dave Millonig (CD)
2. Hank Goldin
3. Mike Naylor
4-Raed Elazzawi

It is going to be very interesting having the pilot chose landing tape regardless of plane being flown. Nice going Dave!
Jan 28, 2018, 02:32 PM

Rules

Mike,

Certainly everything you have brought up is correct. Since this is still in the "how to" and what exactly the rule should be stage, I have opted to discuss it at the pilots meeting. At the last meeting you pointed out that a composite landing properly should be able to use the "skid landing" tape if he chose to land that way. A very good point and it was instituted for that contest on the spot. Had the "rule" been hard and fast, you would have been able to collect a 0 point landing with the clump of grass as well as the stuck one. My personal thought is if the nose of the plane stops the plane, regardless of clumps of grass or an inadvertent wind gust, it should be a 0 point landing on the yellow tape. Since that is my present thinking, the discussion will take place at the pilots meeting and the 0 point landing reasons will be sorted out by the pilots. A yellow tape is for belly landings of built ups and beer coolers, others if they play nice. The whole idea is to even out the field - not see what we can "get away with." Incidentally, our field landing areas will not have clumps of grass to contend with.
Jan 28, 2018, 04:16 PM
Glider Guider
Now I'm confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderfoot
At the last meeting you pointed out that a composite landing properly should be able to use the "skid landing" tape if he chose to land that way. A very good point and it was instituted for that contest on the spot.
Do you have me mixed up with someone else? I definitely don't recall arguing with anyone about the landing rules before or during the contest at Fort Christmas. I had had my say here on RCGroups, so I went to that contest determined to have fun and follow the CD's rules, whatever they were. I don't believe I said anything to anyone there that resulted in an on-the-spot change to the landing rules. Raed told me that because my glider has a motor I was qualified to land on a yellow "slider" tape, so that's what I did.

I also don't recall seeing any composite winch-launched gliders landing on a yellow slider tape, nor am I aware of any pilot of that type of plane being told that he had that option. We essentially followed the rules that were announced ahead of time by the CD.
Jan 28, 2018, 05:47 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
Unless something comes up I'll be there. Looking forward to it!
Latest blog entry: Finished My Sbach 342!
Jan 28, 2018, 05:48 PM

composites

Mike,

Getting up in years, occasionally I have what might be considered brain gas expulsion, I obviously mixed you up and please accept my apology.

Dave
Jan 28, 2018, 05:55 PM
R2R
R2R
1. Dave Millonig (CD)
2. Hank Goldin
3. Mike Naylor
4-Raed Elazzawi
5. Allan Espano
Jan 28, 2018, 07:40 PM
ˇʇsol
Will try to make at least one day unless work gets in the way