Jan 26, 2018, 06:02 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

P-47D Thunderbolt by Clive Smalley

As a brief introduction, I chose this model for several reasons. First of all, I am a warbird lover and have not had a P-47. Having discovered Outerzone recently, this looked like a good choice to experiment with several ideas I had for building and covering techniques. One of those was a covering method for a more realistic Monokte finish, but recently have found several threads which show it's been done before, so it will only be new to me. From the start, I decided to heavily document the build with photos in hopes that someone else building this warbird will benefit from the clarity that sometimes only a photo can provide. With well over 200 photos so far, I am sure that most will glance right past them, but I do hope they will benefit someone. So, here goes!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2018, 06:12 PM
Thread OP
Wing construction is very straightforward, and I hope that photos will illustrate better than what I could explain. Wings are fully sheeted, so there are 4 skins to fabricate, a pair of main spars and forward and aft ribs.
Jan 26, 2018, 06:17 PM
Thread OP
With all ribs cut to shape, assembly begins by fastening the spar and leading edge to the bottom sheeting, followed by leading edge ribs.
Jan 26, 2018, 06:21 PM
Thread OP
Aft ribs are then installed as well as aileron leading edge and wing trailing edge for the aileron. Rough shaping of the leading edge and it can come off the board.
Jan 26, 2018, 06:30 PM
Thread OP
Because it is a belly lander, I chose to route the aileron pushrods out the top of the wing, so now is the moment to get this figured out and as smooth as possible. Before sheeting the top surface make sure you shim as directed, the result is a healthy amount of wash out.
Jan 26, 2018, 06:33 PM
Thread OP
Wing panels came out nice and straight and are ready to be joined, you can also see the aileron exit housing and the wing tip wash out.
Jan 26, 2018, 07:25 PM
Thread OP
Wing center section is reinforced with fiberglass, center section for aileron servo is cut open, and ailerons are cut free.
Jan 26, 2018, 07:28 PM
Thread OP
Wing tips were added and shaped before cutting ailerons free, ailerons were hinged and beveled and voila! We have a finished wing. Not bad at 3.7 ounces.
Jan 26, 2018, 08:09 PM
Awesome sanding job. I think smooth sanding is an impressive part of a good build.
Jan 26, 2018, 11:21 PM
Looking great so far. Have you decided on power yet?

Also, I had a lot of trouble getting the ailerons to center usng the cable-in-sheath controls. I modified mine to take dual wing servos.

It's definitely something to consider before applying a finish. I also found that a thin guage servo wire will feed through the holes made by the yellow sheath (if needed).
Jan 27, 2018, 11:50 AM
Thread OP
Thanks guys, yes I have chosen a motor, its a Leopard 1880KV. My ailerons seem to be pretty smooth, I worked to get that radius smooth on the cable, anything larger than this plane and I would of definitely went with dual servos, but trying to keep the weight down as much as possible.
Jan 27, 2018, 12:16 PM
I just want to go fly!
What’s the ws? Looking great
Jan 27, 2018, 12:48 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Walter, the wingspan is 34"
Jan 27, 2018, 12:53 PM
Thread OP
Tail section can be solid balsa or built up. In my quest for "light as possible," I chose built up. Both the Horizontal and Vertical are tapered toward the tips, but it is still an easy task.
Jan 27, 2018, 12:56 PM
Thread OP
You can kind of see the taper here and the added elevator, which is sanded to a taper on the trailing edge.

Quick Reply