Midwestslopechallenge - Page 5 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by windsinface, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 03, 2018, 10:06 AM
Well stated, Lots of variables in racing and I to try to out guess what the hill going to throw at you .I asked Joe C what the key was to being consistent and I think he said fly what you have a lot of time on. I remember Wayne H with his jouster kicked a lot of butt ,man that thing was big and ugly and everyone stayed out of his way. Maybe big and ugly is the key.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2018, 01:23 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Being a BUG, (Big, Ugly, Guy) as well as bald hasn't helped me.
Just an observation ;-)
Mark
Mar 03, 2018, 08:33 PM
But bald is in.
Mar 08, 2018, 11:54 PM
Where's the wind?
Some preemptive reinforcement of the Strega fuse. 1 -3 layers of 9oz glass on the inside of the fuse back about 8" past the TE.

First time I've used the balloon tricks. Works well so far.

Socking the outside would be easier to layup but would require more finish work to make it look pretty again.

Tomcat fuse seems much stronger than the Strega layup so I built it stock.

Andrew
Mar 09, 2018, 06:27 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
How did you get the glass in there that far back from the hatch?

I'm guessing you had to pre-impregnate it with resin, then wrap it around something protected by wax paper or plastic sheeting, then insert the ballon.

Mark
Mar 09, 2018, 05:44 PM
Where's the wind?
I used some DI 10mil laminating film as the carrier and left it in there with the balloon until cured. It released with the help of a carbon rod without much hassle. The laminating film was cut so it only covered about 1/2 - 3/4 the inner diameter of the fuse. The glass was cut to overlap approx. 1/2" inside the top of the fuse. The DI stuff is stiff allowing me to push it down the inside of the fuse plus it held the glass in place well enough to then get the balloon in there fairly easy. The 9oz cloth is also semi-stiff as well even wetted out. I tied a string to the tip of the balloon long enough to come out the tail of the fuse which then allowed me to stretch it down the fuse while inflating it which kept it from kinking up. It took a couple tries to get it settled correctly but worked very well.

Andrew
Mar 09, 2018, 07:14 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Now that's some creative thinking. Nice job thinking it through first.

The balloon trick works really well, but I wish I could find some with a thicker skin
Mar 12, 2018, 11:01 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Hey everyone, I just re-purposed my comment up in Post #5 to become a list of those attending and what they are entered in. If you see a mistake, please PM me and we can get it straightened out. I may just post a reply every so often with the same info as it's updated just to keep this thread near the top, even though it is a sticky now.
Thanks.
Mark
Mar 16, 2018, 10:16 PM
Where's the wind?
Im not sure how i missed the banquet. I'm in for that as well. I'll send $$ via Paypal.
Mar 17, 2018, 08:27 PM
Foot is mending well so Harry Larry helped me get the vento built and should maiden Sunday weather permitting . Need to bag some odr wings and some repairs on the warbirds but it seams to take twice a long to do things .Spread the word and get signed up. The Canucks Strega looks the part ,did you change the incidents on the tail? I thought the predator had a issue with the tail but never fixed it and was wondering how much it would take to adjust to 0
Mar 17, 2018, 10:32 PM
Where's the wind?
Not yet. I'll probably try a fix on one of the Strega's so I can compare.

I picked up an ODR Fun One kit this week off the for sale section. It's next on the build table. The fuse has a DS style layup so I'm not sure if it will build under the 35oz limit. My Voodoo need ailerons re-hinged and it will fly as the backup.
Last edited by the_canuck; Mar 17, 2018 at 10:37 PM.
Mar 18, 2018, 10:16 AM
And Repairs
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsinface
Foot is mending well so Harry Larry helped me get the vento built and should maiden Sunday weather permitting . Need to bag some odr wings and some repairs on the warbirds
Itís great to see that youíre building and flying, Erik. Iím pretty sure thereís scientific proof that RC flying is good medicine.
Wilson forecast for today is SE wind and temps in the mid 50s. Hope you give us a flight report, if you go.

Pics:
Building a heavy Bee for big winds.
And a fairly light JW60 plank. Really looking forward to flying the JW.
Mar 18, 2018, 11:35 AM
Gliders ain't drones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyFlies
And a fairly light JW60 plank. Really looking forward to flying the JW.
Dammit, Ty. I was going to wait to finish my JW until September. Now I've got to see if I can get 'er done.

-= Dave
Mar 18, 2018, 12:06 PM
Makes a guy want to build. Some hate it some love it but if you fly like I do you learn to like it.
Mar 18, 2018, 01:09 PM
And Repairs
Hope you can git ‘er done, Dave. Mark’s got a new JW 48 to maiden.

Pretty sure the JW will be my last build project prior to May. Everything else is repaired and ready to fly.

Building is more fun than major repairs for me. And I enjoy foam building more than crunchy. An hour or two building in the evenings is good livin’ - more than that can get a bit tedious.

Quick Reply