Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 28, 2018, 09:50 AM
I remember you coming out with Larry years ago . I thing we were going fishing ,had the boat that year with us. Good to have you on board.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 28, 2018, 10:05 AM
Just For The Fun Of It
Bring Darla too!
Feb 28, 2018, 10:08 AM
I do remember meeting you Erik. Hope I can still slope fly. it's been a long time.

Duane
Feb 28, 2018, 08:54 PM
Where's the wind?
Tomcat is getting close. I need to swap the rudder and elevator servos as my first choice aren't strong enough. Need some lead in the nose to get the cg correct. Fuse is really tight as it feels like a 60" plane not a 98" plane.

Full ballast its come out just over 75oz plus whats needed for the cg.

I can get about 25oz in brass stuffed in the fuse.

Hopefully its fast. 😁

Thane needs some competition!

Next on to the Stregas.
Mar 01, 2018, 12:48 AM
Gliders ain't drones!
Last I heard, Thane was staying out of Unlimited. I guess it'll be up to you to take out Joe's plane!

-= Dave
Mar 01, 2018, 06:10 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
We used to do F3F racing and Erik says the timing equipment is still available. What would you guys think of doing unlimited as an F3F event? With only one plane on the course at a time, there should be less carnage.

While I am at it. Trying to find a balance between racing time and fun fly time is something we would like to find. ODR takes the longest time to run when we do it as a multiple heat event. What would you think of doing it as a double elimination event? Everyone would not fly an equal amount of times, but the event would be over quicker and there would be more fun fly time.
Just thinking

Mark
Mar 01, 2018, 07:27 AM
And Repairs
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdennis
...but the event would be over quicker and there would be more fun fly time.
More fun fly time and less total race time is definitely my vote. The competition is fun, but since most of the time racers are waiting instead of flying, any way to make the events take less time would be great.

We appreciate your and Erik’s efforts.
I’ll be happy to be on the slope regardless.
Last edited by TyFlies; Mar 01, 2018 at 07:33 AM.
Mar 01, 2018, 08:24 AM
Where's the wind?
Who said anything about unlimited. That's my warbird. F0.14 Tomcat. Early prototype of the F14.
Mar 01, 2018, 08:31 AM
Where's the wind?
I'm up for 'MoM F3F combat' or just standard F3F. I don't have expensive hardware like some of you guys sacrifice. I'm good either way.

The MoM is a bit more exciting to watch. F3F is more fun for the participants and rewards consistent flying pilots with decent gear.
Mar 01, 2018, 09:18 AM
And Repairs
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_canuck
rewards consistent flying pilots with decent gear.
Dang. Well, that leaves me out.
Mar 01, 2018, 09:27 AM
I like the O.D.R as it is , gives every one some time on the course for more experience in the racing excitement of what the event was first about and yes it can get drawn out somewhat. We can speed that up with a little organization haha . Unlimited is small numbers and go fast . A huge factor is good air early in the day that lets us get started.
Mar 01, 2018, 09:36 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
It's hard to beat the excitement for both the participants and the crowd of MOM racing. We are all big boys and we know the risks, but it still hurts to see such nice planes hitting the ground.

F3F also brings into play the wind issue. We don't have steady off shore breezes, so not everyone will be flying in the same air. MOM ensures that those two or more planes have the same air. F3F takes longer, but maybe more guys will want to make a run.

Again, I'm just thinking. We want everyone to get the most flying time and have as much fun as they can stand.
Mar 01, 2018, 10:48 AM
Just For The Fun Of It
You all know my approach... Come early (Monday) and fly lots! So either way for ODR is fine with me.

We just need those Kansas boys to work on more consistent winds this year!

See you all in May.

... Greg
Mar 01, 2018, 01:22 PM
Gliders ain't drones!
Personally, I've been happy with the way the races have been run in the past -- well, last year kinda sucked, but that was all on the nipple-hard cold weather, mud, and rain.

I don't fly much pylon -- probably like most people -- and I finally feel like I'm getting in the groove by the 4th round or so, so I guess I'd prefer to fly more rounds than less. As long as my planes last 5 rounds.

And I like Andrew, I like the MoM for unlimited... watching timed flights would put me to sleep and make it hard to measure in-flight performance vs. the competition. Not that my home builts have any performance as compared with the $1000+ planes. Maybe with a good pilot, they might.

Just my HO.

-= Dave
Mar 02, 2018, 05:57 AM
Where's the wind?
To make F3F more fair on the wind front, you need to fly a bunch of rounds over the course of the day. It takes longer than double elimination MoM. More rounds also means you need to land safely every round which tends to weed out the new flyer's more than the race results just like MoM in the early bracket races.

I like both for different reasons. My PB in F3F is 42 sec. with the Strega at Point of the Mountain in Utah the other year. I won the wind lottery with that run and didn't blow a corner, but came in 4th or 5th after 6 rounds because I sucked on other runs blowing turns and had bad wind in others. Back in 2005 I made the trip out to southern Cal a few times to race F3F with the big boys. Their F3F races were tough. They pretty much all had high dollar fast stuff to fly and they usually had good conditions. I only broke into the top 10 once on a race that only went a few rounds and I was flying home brew foam. The wind was poor so many of the fast planes didn't fly.

MoM unlimited doesn't happen much in the US. Davenport race is about the only unlimited MoM left out there besides KS. The KS small slope adds to the challenge and evens out the money race as some older planes are still competitive with the high dollar stuff due to the small lift zone and varying wind conditions. I've done well over the years in MoM flying first with borrowed Jack's beater Opus and then my light Opus. I even won overall one year with the light Opus, but it was a North wind Manuka Park race with off angle wind direction that gave my little 2M light Opus a real advantage. I don't believe I've ever won MoM flying the Strega which is overall a much faster plane than the Opus but is harder to fly on the small slope and stay on step.

In KS, its always a gamble to risk your high dollar F3F speed ship on the tight course against many rookie racers and risk disaster vs flying something not as expensive that might even have a slight advantage for the conditions on any given day. I always tend to fly whatever I think is fastest overall and hope the wind keeps up and I don't have to race (combat) Joe or Thane too soon in the bracket. Only a couple times has that strategy paid off.

Usually I pick the wrong plane for the conditions and/or get to fly against 2 good pilots early in the bracket and/or I forget its racing not combat.

A better strategy would be to have several different planes ready to go and pick the one that best fits the conditions for the day but that takes a lot of work to have more than one or two in flying condition that you are comfortable with. I'm attempting this strategy this years, but it will only work if I can get stick time with my choices before the races. I have 4 different planes to get ready, plus practice and inevitable practice crashes/repairs to do. (1st day of practice here in CO resulted in a broken Strega again.)

Probably the best strategy would be to pay off Darla to get a good bracket draw and get out to KS early to get practice in on the actual race slope without so many plane eating landing rocks.
Last edited by the_canuck; Mar 02, 2018 at 06:11 AM.

Quick Reply