Jan 26, 2018, 09:59 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Painting after molding

I researched how to paint after the part is done but came up empty handed except some repair threads.

My plan is still to paint in the mold but after that is done I may need to add some clear coats to the finished part.
The question is how can paint the part after molding? Are there any tricks thing that i need to do? My worry is the pin holes that need to be filled and the possibility for the clear coat to not fill in those holes that are characteristic in a light weight layout. I don't want to add excessive weight to the part.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2018, 02:00 PM
If your initial paint in the mold has normal coverage, then there is little chance of pinholes. You will have to clean parts thoroughly, to get rid of all traces of wax and release agents.

Lars
Jan 26, 2018, 02:24 PM
Thread OP
I use semi permanents so no traces of wax PVA.
Jan 26, 2018, 04:29 PM
Entropy is happening!

Why not clear coat in the mould?

As Lars says, plus a light wet sand with 600-800 grit paper before spraying. Spray with acrylic or 2pack (catalysed) clear coat according to what you prefer.
But:
Why not clear coat in the mould? Infinitely easier and will yield a superior result every time. Unless you have a good spray booth and professional skills, your job will attract some dust and possibly an insect or two.

Quick Reply