Have You Helped or Encouraged Someone in the Hobby? - RC Groups

Have You Helped or Encouraged Someone in the Hobby?

Listen to this story about how I shared the hobby with someone and what it led to. You can you share the fun too!

Splash

Share the Fun Whenever You Can

A couple of years ago I was flying one of my DLG's at a nearby school field, just having fun by myself and enjoying a nice afternoon. I noticed a gentlemen who was jogging stopped and watched me launch and fly. He walked over and greeted me and I thought maybe he was a representative from the school and was going to ask me to leave. Instead he started asking me questions about what it was and how it worked along with the usual bevy of questions you'd expect from a non-hobby person. We talked for a while and I showed him how light the plane was and how it all worked and told him all about how cool and fun the hobby is and how many different types of aircraft there were. I do enjoy sharing my passion with others and didn't mind at all the interruption. I also told him about RCGroups where he could come and learn more and I must have given him my number because recently he gave me a call.

I had all but forgotten about our meeting, but he explained how he met me and said he wanted to say thanks for taking the time to talk to him back then. He had bought a few planes and learned how to fly and was been having a blast. He had just purchased an EDF jet and a stabilizing receiver and he asked if I could help him set it up since he has never used a stabilizer before. I said sure thing and met up with him to do that. I could see he was excited and had fallen in the love with the hobby just like me. In one of those Pay It Forward moments, he handed me a pair of Fatshark goggles and asked if I knew anyone who could use them. I said I'm sure I can find someone and so we gave them away on our weekly live Youtube show. I was amazed that me taking a little time to talk with someone could have such a large impact. Not only did that bring someone new into the hobby, but it also led to someone else getting some needed equipment to help them continue enjoying the hobby.

I don't write this to pat myself on the back, but as a reminder. Even though you may or may not be annoyed by people asking questions, your response could either drive them away or create a new flying buddy for life. Welcoming newcomers to the hobby is something we should all be doing.

I'd love to hear your stories so reply below and share how you've helped someone get into the hobby.

Jan 26, 2018, 10:23 AM
I'm all about letting others look at and explain how everything works, and I have friends I have brought into the hobby.

I get annoyed by all the "how fast does it go" or "can I fly it questions".
Jan 26, 2018, 11:12 AM
DFS#000178
We get people coming out all the time that say things like "Hey I'd love to get into this!" and we talk for a while and I tell 'em to come out next weekend and I'll let them get some stick time on one of my Senioritas before they decide to take the leap.

Then they never show up again.

I try.
Jan 26, 2018, 11:23 AM
I have found that nothing beats "you can fly right now, I have my trainer and buddy box with me".

After some stick time, I tell them about the options starting with a Hobbyzone Champ.
Jan 26, 2018, 11:25 AM
DFS#000178
Yeah I've thought about bringing a trainer with me as a matter of course, but a Seniorita's not a small plane, even broken down, and it takes up quite a bit of space in the back of the SUV. If I had a dedicated panel van or something, one of them would have a permanent home.

And I'm looking for a panel van.
Jan 26, 2018, 11:28 AM
serial scratchbuilder
"Is that a drone?" is what I hear 9 times out of 10, sometimes they actually listen to the difference 'tween that and a flying model. Kids show the most interest, as long as they don't own a phone yet.
I also just gave away my second product idea to better the craft.
Last edited by Granted; Jan 26, 2018 at 11:56 AM.
Jan 26, 2018, 12:24 PM
Team Spektrum FPV
little Hayley, lol... We are teaching the next gen of Team Spektrum FPV pilots already! My 5 year old son got on the school bus today proudly wearing a Spektrum shirt under his "aviator jacket" lol...
(we decided it was best if he didn't go to school telling everyone about his bomber jacket....)
Jan 26, 2018, 01:18 PM
RCG Admin
Lol! Yeah I bet that would not go over well.
Jan 26, 2018, 06:17 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Along with other planes , I always bring my slowest/super-stable EzFly trainer to the flying field . Often people will stop by to watch , and often they will ask questions about the hobby . I will put my slow/stable EzFly about 100 feet up in the air and hand them the transmitter , and with just verbal instructions they will fly the EzFly around for a while . I instruct them to keep the EzFly over the middle of the ( huge ) field by making gentle left-and-right turns with the right transmitter stick , and if they want to climb .... to increase the throttle on the left transmitter stick . I instruct them to make all stick movements small , or in small increments . If they do well , I'll let them land the EzFly .... which can be done easily by gradually reducing the throttle until it touches down .

If they are interested in continuing to fly RC , I'll offer to make them an EzFly .... and I'll even get them a transmitter , two batteries and a charger . Dozens of people have taken me up on this over the last few years , and I still fly regularly with many of them . Often I'll make them additional planes such as a Simplest Simple Delta ( good for learning to fly a NON-self-righting plane ) , or LeadFeather's Yak 55 ( 3D plane ) .

Here's one of my slow/stable EzFlys ..... no buddy box needed :

Copy of EzFly with under-cambered wing (1 min 57 sec)
Jan 26, 2018, 06:52 PM
I've had many conversations with folks from all walks of life (all ages and both genders) who are interested in what I'm doing. It's always surprising to me because these exchanges begin much like the op-are they about to run me off? Then turns into great convo.I primarily fly fpv so I've been trying to find a cheap set of used goggles to keep on hand for ride alongs... I think that is where I can hook some folks, lol.

Good thread topic
Jan 26, 2018, 09:55 PM
A few weeks ago a friend of mine told me about a buddy of his who had bought his 13 year old son a small no ailerons RTF electric foam plane for christmas but neither had experience in RC. He knew I fly helis and multicopters but also some fixed wings so he asked me if I could help them get it flying.

So we got there and I checked the plane wich, despite of being "RTF" had the COG far too much to the aft and control throws far too small to be controllable.

After weighing the nose with a key my friend had in his pocket and moving the pushrods to get useable control movement I threw it in the air, trimmed it for level flight and let the boy try. He got it surprisingly quickly an was soon able to fly around the field and land it smoothly.

Hopefully a new hobbyist in the making.
Last edited by Murgo; Jan 26, 2018 at 10:15 PM.
Jan 26, 2018, 10:19 PM
A club member recently was heir to a plane and radio from a recently deceased member. He bought a DA 120 for the airplane (his first 35%) and installed it, but his radio went south and he had to send it in. I have a lot of experience with 35% airplanes and have a DX 18 as a back up radio. He tried to set it up with his 9503 but that radio does not support 4 ailerons. I figured I would set it up on my 18 while his was in for repair so he would have something to fly. On Saturday we did some this and that on the airframe, ran the engine, and the next day put the plane in the air and trimmed it out. He got in two flights on his own and he had a smile a mile wide.

One of my loves in this hobby is aerotowing, both as tow plane and sailplane pilot. Towing with the tug gives the guys chasing the thermals all the fun (or so they think) but there is also a certain joy in flying the towplane. So I'm happy to drag them up to altitude...
Jan 26, 2018, 11:48 PM
RCG Admin
Awesome everyone. Thanks for sharing!
Jan 27, 2018, 01:39 AM
characters welcome!
I've been flying a small 1s quad for the last three years on and off at the AMA Expo. Took it with me on a trip with some friends this week (Vegas S.H.O.T. show) and our host and good friend wanted to try it. He is a former combat heli pilot and flies lots of full scale to this day (a QB) and has been dabbling in RC. He enjoyed flying the quad so much at the suite that I simply gave it to him along with a few batteries, the Micro X4 charger and a fresh LipoSack. He'll certainly get more use out of it all than I do. I had fun watching him grinning and bouncing it off various things then suddenly getting the hang of it.

mw
Jan 27, 2018, 02:31 AM
I hadn't thought about bringing something I can let others try.

I do work casually at a local hobby shop, and when people come in new and wanting a plane I have often met them at a field for their first flight.

I remember my struggles (not that it wasn't fun) to get a successful flight. After that first landing, it seemed to click and I haven't stopped flying since!

Quick Reply