May 15, 2018, 02:47 PM
Any update on 510kv setup with 16s and 11b rotor.
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2018, 05:28 PM
The best in EDF since 2005
Thread OP
Not yet, I have been swamped with other things to do, am waiting on a new ESC for testing, soon as I have that I can do the 16s tests on the 510Kv motor, and am hoping to have my new sample motor in a few weeks that is aimed at an 18s setup.
Latest blog entry: Extreme RC AUSTRALIA
Jan 03, 2019, 06:22 PM
Thread OP
Hey guys sorry for the long time between drinks! Too many other things to do lately but I am back into testing mode and this weekend I am planning on running the RAMTEC 11 blade with the 510Kv motor on 16 cells.

I have a flier 300A ESC ready to go, everything has been tested I am just waiting on the weather to drop off a bit, today being 42 deg C makes it a little uncomfortable to be in steel n concrete workshops!

Funny all the talk about alloy fan centres and how wonderful they will be for heat dissipation!

I have been manufacturing all alloy housings for years now, from 65mm up to 127mm, and the RAMTEC has always had a solid centre housing CNC machined in alloy, stators too. The current RAMTEC housing has been fully optimized for best combination of weight/strength/heat soak since 2015/16 with a full coverage centre body with fins, I will have to get a housing unassembled so I can post up photos of the actual components.

The RAMTEC housing is seriously strong! No need for mods, the engineering has been there since day one.

At a little over a kilo assembled ready to install the RAMTEC is a true OFF THE SHELF plug and play item...
Jan 04, 2019, 03:16 AM

Stator design

Thanks for posting Mark,
Looking at Marks first picture you can see that the stator has a substantial twist and so I have posted these pictures of the stator which clearly shows the twist.
From testing of the Ramtec GDF I found that the small stators were not efficient and that there was still some swirl of the efflux so I designed a totally new stator double the length and with a rounded and twisted leading edge to straighten the efflux coming from the rotor blades with as little drag as possible.
Both the centre body and the stators are CNC'd using state of the art machines made in the USA.
Last edited by Ramtec; Jan 04, 2019 at 04:50 AM.
Jan 04, 2019, 02:34 PM
world's slowest builder
Great job with the constant improvement of the Ramtec. Those states look really great!

Are there any plans in the future to offer 120 or 110mm versions of the Ramtec?
Jan 04, 2019, 05:52 PM
Thanks AIrJon
I forgot to mention that these stators were designed 7 years ago
The Ramtec has had aluminum stators and center body since 2011
Jan 05, 2019, 02:57 AM
This is the Ramtec motor housing and stator system that has been in production for 4 years !
Earlier versions had similar stators ( a little shorter) with different motor housings and the original plastic spinner.
The motor housing looks short in these pictures only because the stators are twice the length of some other fans.
Look at the cooling fins on the housing - this reduces the weight but also triples the surface area.
When other fans were blowing up the HET motor due to heat separating the magnets, there was no such problem for the Ramtec
Het then replaced the kevlar wrap with a stainless steel sheath only because some fans did not provide the cooling that the Ramtec did.
You may notice that the rotor is skewed in the first picture, this is only because I have not mounted the rotor onto the motor and have set up the assembly without it.

I find it difficult to stay silent when for years I have been making what someone else has only just discovered and they rave that his design is a game changer.
Last edited by Ramtec; Jan 05, 2019 at 03:02 AM.
Jan 05, 2019, 12:51 PM
DS JUNKY
Hey Extreme I am almost done rebuilding my Viperjet with some new parts. I am keeping your extreme cnc fan in there with the HET 590 motor from 2014. I saw something about a bad batch/recall of these motors. Is this something I need to worry about and consider swapping the motor out?

Also I am stepping the power down to 12S. I remember seeing your posts about a 12 blade? fan that was better for 12S on the 590kv?
Jan 05, 2019, 04:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06kal
Hey Extreme I am almost done rebuilding my Viperjet with some new parts. I am keeping your extreme cnc fan in there with the HET 590 motor from 2014. I saw something about a bad batch/recall of these motors. Is this something I need to worry about and consider swapping the motor out?

Also I am stepping the power down to 12S. I remember seeing your posts about a 12 blade? fan that was better for 12S on the 590kv?
Hey mate, you should have no problems with the motor in my housing, my housing is one big heatsink and I don't recall anyone cooking any of my combos. 12s with the 12 blade rotor seems to work really well, but its not worth going higher in cell count as efficiency drops off compared to the 11B. I should be able to get you a 12B rotor if you wanted one, just email me directly to sort it.
Jan 05, 2019, 09:47 PM
jofro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramtec
Thanks AIrJon
I forgot to mention that these stators were designed 7 years ago
The Ramtec has had aluminum stators and center body since 2011
Happy New Year Tony, long time no hear, few more flights this morn with your 12S /Ramtec power horse, absolute perfect day, just under 700 hundred fights to date.
Jan 06, 2019, 11:18 AM
Hi Mark glad your igniting this thread, I have a box full of Ramtec Fans.

I have your aluminum housings and would like to know if can fit the right motor in these or do I need a different housing. you mentioned the
HET 800-83-510, will this motor fit?

Thanks

Rick
Jan 06, 2019, 04:09 PM
Thread OP
Any of the 800 series will fit my 50mm motor housing Rick, simply longer or shorter can so you are good to go with the 800-83.
Jan 06, 2019, 11:19 PM
DS JUNKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Head
Hi Mark glad your igniting this thread, I have a box full of Ramtec Fans.

I have your aluminum housings and would like to know if can fit the right motor in these or do I need a different housing. you mentioned the
HET 800-83-510, will this motor fit?

Thanks

Rick
What would you use the 510 for over the 590? I ran the 590 on the 11 blade Ramtec on 14S. You would need to go 16S to get similar power.
Jan 06, 2019, 11:27 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
What would you use the 510 for over the 590? I ran the 590 on the 11 blade Ramtec on 14S. You would need to go 16S to get similar power.
When I get to run it on the bench this week (weekend was a blowout) then you will find out as will we all, what the 510 can do
Jan 07, 2019, 12:31 AM
Dont confuse me with the facts
Quote:
I was thinking the exact same thing. I am curious about the results though, as the can is longer and can produce more torque. Lower Amps too.

A test in the 17S to 18S range might be where the 510 would really shine, if the rotor can handle it. Personally, I like the YGE ESC better than Flier ESCs. So 16S for me.

Mark, thanks for all this testing your doing that we benefit from for nothing. Back in the old 6 blade Wemo days, you were one of the few that posted any numbers at all. Still telling us what we need to know all these years later.

Scott

Quick Reply